SAU Community

Drifting`

FLYR33

Understandably jump the gun.. the "excrement flinging" started from the NS bagging and now the NS guys are being made out as the aggressors.. not that I actually know who the NS guys are but anyway. It happens often and it annoys me.. thus I and probably everyone else bothered posting. You can sure see why the skyline forums have a reputation for arrogance.

Notice though, that the thread has calmed down?

:wave:

Mission achieved, thread back on track and the too-fro has stopped from both sides.

Im on NS aswell, have been for many many years. Probably a fair bit longer than half the people on there ;)

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

There is little arrogance, i used to hear about it moons ago, but put everyone in the same room and you dont see an example of it as proved @ the drift training and other events :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it seems a bit oxymoron-ish. Drifting is about balance. Balanced (same) tires front and rear will give your car good feel. Keeping them too thin will of course give you the ability to smoke them up but will give you an inverse affect when trying to control the car.

Getting the car sideways requires a lot more than just kicking the tires and lighting the fires. It requires adjustments from the driver, accelerator, brake, hand-brake, lock. Keeping it sideways is another matter, knowing how much lock you have, how my gas to apply and when to apply it etc unfortunately not something you can learn from a book. It requires practice patience, plenty of f**king up and balls!

Essentially, you should also have the right car for the job, but the more you go out with your car, the better you understand it whilst sideways, and get a good idea of what modifications to assist you in the process.

Hope this helps mate... after all that! :)

To be honest I was really anticipating a great thread here, silvias are one thing to drift but skylines are a bit more tricky with the extra weight of the RBs up the front. They tend to be very understeery so yeah heaps of grip on the front helps a lot :laugh:. I have slid my car both on tarmac and skid pan and a little around some corners, it certainly isn't nearly as fun in an AWD as a RWD but im' paranoid about clutch packs so didn't really do much in RWD. I'd definately say put plenty of money into cooling for australian drifting get a nice hard suspension and a really big flat area to practise with nothing sharp and hard :).

You are really misinformed and have made a huge generalisation.

I hardly ever see many silvias drifting on the street. Most of them are well behaved and drive properly.

i guess u dont drive on the streets then

theres a million n 1 silvias up here n everyone of them wants to go drifting on a fri nite n do some drags around the streets. i know this cos im mates with most of them n they act like tools. they r fine once they are out of the car but when they are in the drivers seat the v-opt.co.jp sticker appears on the windscreen. even 30 yr olds with their s15s want to try drifting on the streets. wats wrong with this world?

If you wanna learn how 2 drift, you first gotto learn how 2 go sideways & how 2 control it! My advice, buy a shack; Gemini, Sigma, Bluebird etc...... Then find some crushed rock tracks/roads & go rallying! Slowly push yourself harder & harder! You learn the dynamics & physics of how a car feels & reacts in low or no tractions conditions! It will also help you in steering control! "Oooo theirs that rock, oh shit just missed that tree" & so forth! :)

Maurice

:ninja:

Edited by MR-GTIR/S15

My final 2c....people that want to go drifting get far too carried away about car preparation. Just like ppl generally do with track work. Back in Sydney there were a couple of guys that use to drift std Monaros damn well. Fatz scared the crap out of me drifting the whole of Eastern Creek in a std automatic R31 GTSX. Sure car prep helps but its driving and prcatice that will get you there quicker then spending all your money on the car only to have no money left over to drive the thing at the track.

Just get out there and give it a go and develop the car as you develop as a driver. Who knows you could find you dont really like it. I love it but dint like how hard it is on my car, as my car is not exactly std. I would enjoy it more if my engine was std as i wouldnt be so worried about it throwing a rod :ninja:

LOL :ninja: ..... :ninja: Yeh what he said. Thats assuming you are a hack like me. If you can drive like everyone else in attendance the night i binned it then you will be ok :)

As for everything else being posted here? Chill ppl. Who gives a fark what other ppl want/do with their cars. If its for you cool, if not then cool.

The NS vs SAU thing???? Fark...is there really any difference? Both are car forums, with plenty of sweet cars, enthusiastic owners with the occasional sea gull.

LOL. It seems there is a bit of an image thing at play. I have rocked up to drift days in my car and the ppl are friendly and socialable. One guy came up and laughed at me for binning my car, accompanied by a cheap remark about my driving....whilst he was scoffing and trying to belittle my efforts i was still giggling about frying 3rd gear :no:

Ditto track days, you get the good and the bad...but both are mostly good ppl having loads if fun. I dont understand why ppl seem to like labels. Those that have done both, along with other forms of motorpsort know its a hoot to ring your cars neck anywhere. Fark even drag racing is a ball, especially if your one of those smart asses that runs 12.5s in his pretty basic R33.... :)

If you dont like doing anything on the track, you just like driving your rig....again, do what you enjoy.

i guess u dont drive on the streets then

theres a million n 1 silvias up here n everyone of them wants to go drifting on a fri nite n do some drags around the streets. i know this cos im mates with most of them n they act like tools. they r fine once they are out of the car but when they are in the drivers seat the v-opt.co.jp sticker appears on the windscreen. even 30 yr olds with their s15s want to try drifting on the streets. wats wrong with this world?

Exactly as Roy said, take your car out, my near standard R33 was busting consistent 12.5s and there were guys out there that spent so much money on the same cars had more power but couldnt even crack a 12. Its called going out there and not worrying about what you get. I always get the question, how do u get 1.8 second 60 footers on a RWD running crappy 18inch Dunlops? Practise and no nerves makes perfect.

Its the same with drifting, my Cefiros pretty damn stock and most people ive met with similar mods to mine in a R32 would say nah nah its not powerful enough or spend too much time worrying about suspension, diff etc. ALL you need to do is get out there and have a hit!!

Finally Kamikaze, none of the street drifters I know have Vopt stickers. Most silvias I know dont go out to the illegals to drift.

PS: Brisby bring your car to Calder drift tonite I wanna hear some 3rd gear external gate action!

Yep, driver training... basic/intermed/adv, drift training... its all coming in 2007 a little birdie tells me :)

...waiting and watching

isn't nearly as fun in an AWD as a RWD but im' paranoid about clutch packs so didn't really do much in RWD.

R32 = not clutch pach issues with RWD, less you changed your gb to R33/34 when you did the engine (green with envy)

Just get out there and give it a go and develop the car as you develop as a driver. Who knows you could find you dont really like it. I love it but dint like how hard it is on my car, as my car is not exactly std. I would enjoy it more if my engine was std as i wouldnt be so worried about it throwing a rod :D

Sounds like a plan. Though that is almost the original intent of the thread. Where/How to learn - and the obviously not the streets, or the question woulndn't have been asked

I am learning drifting as well in my R33 and it's not easy at all. You can go to http://www.driverdynamics.com.au/ , email Kevin to join a Skidpan days ( 3 times i've gone there and most of ppl are from NissanSilvia.com as well) . Basically, you ll learn how to catch the slide and eventually Kev can show you more technics once u r ready.

After this step, you will know what need to be done to your car. Join a practice day like Winton. That is also my plan :P . FYI, the skidpan on the 9th of Dec has been booked out lol.

in the drivers seat the v-opt.co.jp sticker appears on the windscreen

dude that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard lol

well were do i start there are so many stupid generalizations

well let me start by saying i drive a silvia as my daily and i drive the holfords s14 in driftaustralia competion so i can saftly say i know my shit

putting crusty tyres on the back of a car to drift is the worst thing to do like a few have allready said

as for saying drift is slow i challenge you to follow me to a corner at the very top of 4rth(200+) and chuck it sidways 150/200mtrs before the corner

yes begginer drift maybe slow but as you get into drifting you will find the biggest mistake people make is going to slow

power is not a issue in drift as n/a ae86s still win drift comps in japan and i also learnt to drift in a n/a vl auto and took it to the track and it was good i just had to be very aggressive to make it do what it needed to do

less power just means you need more speed on entries and a perfect line because you dont have the power to save you

i hope i have answered some questions

as for all this ns vs sau mumbo jumbo who cares

The regulars of NS are a good bunch of guys and girls, very organised, very helpful, and very knowledgable. Unfortunately its the n00bs on NS that have something to prove so are always at the root of attention seeking activites.

In any case, if you want to get into legit drift practice days and comps check out www.vicdrift.com.au the boys that run it are members of these forums as well, so I'm sure they'd be glad to get you into it.

Also check out insanedrifters, a bunch of guys that drift pretty good even though they lack in the looks department :) They've been at it since the street days, and now on the track as well. Top blokes to talk to if you wanna get into it... they're not sponsored heaps or loaded, they work on their own cars and have gotten good bit by bit.

And lastly, come visit us at driftline (www.driftline.com.au) if you want help setting up your car, introductions to people who do it seriously, or generally to get a feel for what the community is like. There's usually someone around who's happy to talk to you (most likely an insanedrifter or a vicdrifter).

The regulars of NS are a good bunch of guys and girls, very organised, very helpful, and very knowledgable. Unfortunately its the n00bs on NS that have something to prove so are always at the root of attention seeking activites.

I totally agree.

How many ppl are out there driving imports obeying the road laws?? A shitload more than than there are drifting everywhere they go. You just dont notice them as much cos they dont stand out. It only takes 1 n00b for you to notice and get pissed off at, and that is what sticks in your head. Stop generalising.

But........at the same time

There is no point going nuts over this. No matter what anyone says, or does, there is always gunna be ppl out there that do stupid shit in stupid places at stupid times in the heat of the moment. (I'll admit i'm occasionally one of them). But its up to them to learn for themselves. Whether they get dicked and rorted by the cops, or they stack and hurt themselves, their car, or god forbid someone else, it doesn't matter. Everyone grows up someday, and for different reasons. Ragging them out doesn't help much, it just gets ppl worked up over nothing. And in some cases, makes them do it more often, cos your giving them the attention they want. IMO anyway.

Back to the main topic:

I know you cant change or predict the weather too well, especially on track days, but i always found it easier learning on wide grippy tires, but in the wet. You can enter corners slow as, and your reactions speeds dont need to be anywhere near as fast or precise. A quick clutch kick, or hand brake, and you can then just play the throttle and sail around. Almost any diff will still hold a dead slide in the wet (in case you overcook entry). Just make sure you take it easy. As you get better, slowly step it up, and take what you know to the dry.

But then again, this is just what i reckon, and i'm certainly no pro. I still got heaps to learn myself

Can I ask why we saw two threads today with controversial made up crap about a rivalry that doesn't really exist except in the minds of a few noobs and keyboard warriors.

Was there something said on NS.com that set this off and sent them over here for a bash? Just curious is all.... No intended furthur bashing required.

Nah, from what i know alot of yous SAU guys just loves paying out on NS???

Cool. Well I didn't know it was a big issue. It's probably a two way street anyway.

But why yesterday, what straw broke the camels back?

I frequent both forums and I don't think i've ever seen SAU mentioned on NS except for when someone is asking about skylines. I have however on many occassions seen threads about NS on these forums where regulars make snide comments about NS. If you haven't seen this i'm quite surprised, prolly if you do a search for drift you will see it :(. Anyways I think it's over and done with now.