SAU Community

Project 1

andz

hi guys,

ive actually made an effort to use the search engine this time

most of SA-ers recommend AAA and Exhaust technology

I had my 33GTR's exhaust done from Exhaust technology, the JunBL, but it was rather loud, im after something a bit more quiet, like the 'HKS silent'? but i can only find them from NSW

I cant seem to search for a business that do HKS and Apexi (in adel), do you guys know?

Please recommend,

regards,

Andy

something like this;

Edited by andz69

A jap exhaust isn't always the way for a nice quiet exhaust.

A twin 2.25" or twin 2.5" are rather quiet. Run 2 mufflers and they sound quite nice.

have a centre muffler thrown in to your setup just after the cat. It will quieten it down nicely.

SAZilla,

Restriction only exists IF you use a poor muffler. A nice clean muffler does nothing to hurt power.

Some of the jap mufflers out there are very restrictive as they taper down inside the muffler; some of the aussy mufflers (some Redback hotdogs & mufflers for example) have punched holes that protrude in to the gas flow, this is very very bad. The punched holes MUST be smooth and nothing must protrude in to the exhaust flow.

I wouldn't throw a hot dog on to it to try and quieten it up as they do almost nothing, drop a muffler in after that cat as large as you can fit.

A couple of jap exhausts that run mufflers after the cat.

The HKS Silent

nengun-0468-00-hks-high_power_exhaust_silent.jpg

and the Greedy Power Extreme II

nengun-0039-00-trust-greddy-power_extreme_ii_muffler.jpg

Some of the jap mufflers out there are very restrictive as they taper down inside the muffler; some of the aussy mufflers (some Redback hotdogs & mufflers for example) have punched holes that protrude in to the gas flow, this is very very bad. The punched holes MUST be smooth and nothing must protrude in to the exhaust flow.

Hmmm I would say if the protruding holes ("clamshells") are facing the back of the car, there shouldn't be any additional restriction. However if you have the 'clamshell' holes facing towards the car, yes there would be some, but it should be quieter? I had this exact muffler installed into my car last week. Works quite well. No longer get headaches lol. I had them facing forward as I don't minding loosing 1 or 2 rwkw for a few more dB!

sorry, i dont give a f**k about noise... all i care about is in car reverberation, drone, whatever u want to call it. what can be done to get rid of that and who does it properly, i could name a place that doesnt do it properly on my old car after 2 attempts, but f**k me it was just a lancer which had 2 and 1/4 inch cat back when i was 16. ud think theyd get it right 2nd shot when i said NO f**kEN DRONE.

Busky2k.. Any thing protruding in to the exhaust flow is going to create turbulence resulting in backpressure. Turbulence is what helps quieten the exhaust down as you know. ;)

Placing the muffler so the clamshells are facing in to the exhaust flow direction will create more turbulence and as a result quieten the exhaust down. Everything is a trade off, you can't have a very quiet well flowing exhaust.

BUT a twin 2.5 or 2.25" exhaust can get very very close.

Bl4ck32 runs a twin 2.25" I think it is and that is unbelievable, two little unknown looking canons on the end and its almost silent under normal conditions, open it up and its loud. Absolutely ZERO drone. If Bl4ck32 see's this thread no doubt he could shed some light in to what system he runs.

My 3" doesn't drone but I did pay a reasonable amount for the exhaust ($1660 from D&T Performance Exhausts).

I run a large rear muffler and a centre resonator that's much bigger than the usual, its a nice note and cannot be heard when cruising or light throttle but open it up and its damn loud.

With a larger turbo its going to be just a touch too loud for me and no doubt the police so I'm going to have another large body muffler thrown in behind the cat.

Either way as you say Busky2k.. For a few kw the quieter exhaust is worth it.. If not only for your ears for the saved trip over the pits when that loud exhaust gets one defected. :w00t:

Its the same as the V8's.. My previous car 5yrs ago (VS 5ltr 5speed) I looked in to exhausts. Back then the Twin 2.25"-2.5" exhausts were quieter than a big single 3.5" yet offered the same level of performance/flow. I went with the single 3.5" that ran 2 small body mufflers, one after the cat and one at the end. The sound of it was simply awesome, it had the identical sound of a v8 supercar when on song, especially after I dropped a cam in to it that had it revving harder.

I'm a v8 bogan at heart, can't beat that pop through the extractors on idle from a mildly cammed V8. + a couple of turbo's and I'm in heaven. :P

I got my new high flow cat and catback done at ET, and if you tell them you want it to be quiet, then they can easily make it quiet.

I got a 3" stainless system with a Lukey muffler halfway, and a Magnaflow oval muffler on the end. Will post pics up shortly - looks the goods and sounds awesome without being loud. It's very quiet.

I nice deep rumbly exhausts I think sounds tougher than a loud raspy thing.....

A loud exhaust also makes the car hard to enjoy on the street as a slight up on boost has it roaring and turning heads, including the heads of police... Much prefer having a quiet exhaust that you can at least accelerate briskly without looking like a hoon with a loud exhaust or worrying if there's police around that might hear you.

Yeah I agree with you Cubes. However there is one problem - you can only go so big in the center muffler! I tried to get them to fit the biggest one they could, but alas it still had to be a 5" hotdog style one. The rest would foul the tail shaft or would hang too low. I'm not sure how much room there is under a skyline but I'm sure it couldn't be much more than the Silvia chassis. I reckon the best trade off is when going externally gated, to have the ext gate to atmosphere and the main dump going to a nicely muffled exhaust with an ECV. Quiet on idle and cruise - animal when on the run with not too much restriction!

I have a Blitz nur something and got through regency. Good sound fairly quiet. Mile end autobahn about 1g. 32gtr with metal cat 3in. making245atw with standrd turbos. Doing the swap to n1s at the moment. This is with full after market dumps and front pipe. Hope this helps.

Edited by zillagtr

I wouldn't throw a hot dog on to it to try and quieten it up as they do almost nothing, drop a muffler in after that cat as large as you can fit.

I agree with you there Cubes.. hot-dog resi's remove the drone but not the volume.

Bl4ck32 runs a twin 2.25" I think it is and that is unbelievable, two little unknown looking canons on the end and its almost silent under normal conditions, open it up and its loud. Absolutely ZERO drone. If Bl4ck32 see's this thread no doubt he could shed some light in to what system he runs.

Basically mines runs a decat pipe. (Note, u can run a highflow cat) From there it runs a twin system 2 x 2.25" back to the rear which has 2 x 3" cannons. Thats it, no centre pipes, mufflers, hotdogs at all. Nothing bar the rear 2 mufflers.

Is it loud? No. Does it drone? None. Does it flow well? Its the equivalent area of having a single 3.75" pipe under the car.

Twins cut down the sound, help ground clearance and have great flow. Mild steel over stainless anyday to reduce drone in car. Have a look at the Ford exhausts -twin systems. Why? 4Lt of turbo gas to pass out the rear...

Dont believe me, or Cubes call us liars :(

PS - My exhaust is actually made for a r33, but i modded it to fit my r32. If i had cash to buy one off the shelf, my recommendation would be for the Apexi N1 dual pipe kit. Bolt on :)

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exhaust_d...0&pageNum=1

Edited by Bl4cK32

I have a HKS Silent Power on my R34 and it is not too loud when idling, but can be noisy under load. The easy answer is install an Apexi ECV, which I did, and I absolutely love it! It makes the car ABSOLUTELY SILENT when near closed, which is great when the party-stoppers are around.

I can also highly recommend the Trust Power Extreme II - I have one on my S15 and it is very quiet, but allows good power.