SAU Community

Rear Diff. LSD???

lambo

Pretty much impossible to tell from a photo, but the finned cover suggests it might be a viscous LSD. Try jacking up the rear end (both wheels off the ground), then turning one wheel - if the other wheel turns in the same direction, then you have an LSD, but if it turns in the opposite direction it is an open diff (probably - i've seen completely stuffed LSD's act in the same way as an open diff).

RC45 says you have an R200 diff with 4.5 gears.

Originally posted by SteveL

Pretty much impossible to tell from a photo, but the finned cover suggests it might be a viscous LSD.  Try jacking up the rear end (both wheels off the ground), then turning one wheel - if the other wheel turns in the same direction, then you have an LSD, but if it turns in the opposite direction it is an open diff (probably - i've seen completely stuffed LSD's act in the same way as an open diff).

RC45 says you have an R200 diff with 4.5 gears.

I jack the car up last week and when i turn 1 wheel front or back. The other doesn't move at all. Is it spoiled?

Where can i find info on how to tell what type of LSD i have and if it is damaged or worn?

Hi all,

The shaft to the wheels is connected with 6 bolts on each side of the diff. Could this be used to tell what type of Diff it is?

Which Ratio is better for Drifting and Fast Pick up? The 4.3:1 or the 4.5:1?

I really need to know if mine is a LSD and is it still working.

Guest 382 GZV - 4 Door R33

Turning a wheel while your car is on a car may not cause the other to turn as well for both an open wheeler and LSD - the other wheel will only turn definately if you have a Locked diff.

The 4.5:1 is better for fast pick up and drifting although you'll go thru fuel way quicker.

One way of telling (the way I found out at least) is to go to a quiet road and do a long 2nd gear burnout (dumping the clutch hard so as not to allow it to slip) - do the burnout for about 5 metres and get out and check - if there's 2 black lines, it's working if there's only one, then it's broken or it's an open wheeler.

Guest 382 GZV - 4 Door R33

***Turning a wheel while your car is on a car ***

While it's on a jack!

:-) Sounds funny the other way

Originally posted by 382 GZV - 4 Door R33 Turning a wheel while your car is on a car may not cause the other to turn as well for both an open wheeler and LSD - the other wheel will only turn definately if you have a Locked diff.

If the LSD is working (at all) both wheels should turn together....on an open diff they will turn in the opposite direction because that is the nature of the mechanism. The ONLY way this won't happen (either case) is when something else is preventing it (eg brake pad drag).