SAU Community

Custom Air intake(Pic Attached)

Hi all,

i have just done a custom air intake on my R32.

It make use of the space reserve for the stock intercooler.

Problem with this one is driving on highway when rainning.

The water mist created by the car in front always make the filter wet. Thinking of adding some grill to prevent too much mist entering.

Driving on normal road where water mist is not as bad seem no problem.

The Pipe work is going down and also i dun have problem with stone. Further more most cone type filter have metal net protecting it.

Its the Mist that got spray out of the tires from the car in front. That might be bad. use vent to guide the wind away from the filter but into the box will solve the problem but where can i get such things? Maybe just put wire mess???

Putting the filter in the engine bay is the first choice but u get plenty of hot air from the RB engine. So putting it at inside the small air box will be prefer near 100% Outside Temp Air.

the air it will be sucking will be heaps cooler than in the engine bay, even compaired to ppl with partitions. but i would be so worried about things hitting the filter and as u say water.

im happy to duct the cold air up to mine. saves the stess.

Hi Lambo. Nice work. I actually did the very same thing with my '33 a few months ago, although I think I went to a bit more trouble than you. I have no problems with water mist, wet filter syndrome or rock/stone damage. Just fresh ocean breezes. Made from stainless steel 3 inch mandrel bend, welded to a stainless flange which matches the air-flow meter flange. It was then powder coated in a semi-gloss black to match the finish of the air-flow meter. After a quick "driving-in-the-rain", problem areas were shielded with thin rubber matts.

This set up works just as well if not better than CAI's (worked better than my CAI, which was a great setup in the first place) and it gets rid of the, in my opinion, yucky box in the corner of the engine bay.

Obviously this kind of thing isnt really necessary, but for people like me and Lambo, we like making shit, and being slightly different.

Here's my illustrated documentry i digged out of my PC.

Rock on Lambo... you're a genius! :)