SAU Community

Japan

zed200

One night!?! That's a bit tight, but here's a list of tourist hotspots you might want to check out:

Culture:

Imperial Palace

Ueno Park

Tokyo National Museum

The Sensoji temple in Asakusa

Imperial Gardens in Shinjuku

Shopping

Shinjuku, Ginza and Akihabara, depending on how much money you have, and what you want to get.

I don't think you can visit all of them, but rest assured that the shops close very late there, so you can still do a lot at night.

well tokyo is a pretty big place so it really depends on where you are staying. but to be honest 1 night is good enough to do nothing really.

BUT if I had just one night in tokyo I guess I would just go somewhere nice to dinner, then go to the Shinjuku Park Hyatt to the new york or peak bar for some drinks. that's about all you'll have time for.

Start off in ....

Asakusa - Temple/Shrine (old Tokyo)... then 2 stations to

Ueno - Ameyoko (street clothing stalls)/Park(boring)/Zoo(meh..) ...then 2 stations to

Akihabara - Electronic District/weirdos/costumes... then 3/4 stations to

Ginza - World Brand name District / Nissans 1 car show room... then 4/5 stations to

Tokyo Bay - Tokyo Bay Super Autobacs (need I say more)... then a couple of lines and few stations to

Odaiba - Amusement Centre and more!!/Fuji Television/Views of Tokyo Bay Bridge.. then few stations to

Shibuya - Everything you want from a city here...

Thats what Id recommend. The 1st 4 locations are Station Names as well as Location and they only require 1 line to get to. Also between stations its about 5-6 minutes including waiting time and cost about 130 yen.

Hope the info helps.. Good luck.

Start off in ....

Asakusa - Temple/Shrine (old Tokyo)... then 2 stations to

Ueno - Ameyoko (street clothing stalls)/Park(boring)/Zoo(meh..) ...then 2 stations to

Akihabara - Electronic District/weirdos/costumes... then 3/4 stations to

Ginza - World Brand name District / Nissans 1 car show room... then 4/5 stations to

Tokyo Bay - Tokyo Bay Super Autobacs (need I say more)... then a couple of lines and few stations to

Odaiba - Amusement Centre and more!!/Fuji Television/Views of Tokyo Bay Bridge.. then few stations to

Shibuya - Everything you want from a city here...

Thats what Id recommend. The 1st 4 locations are Station Names as well as Location and they only require 1 line to get to. Also between stations its about 5-6 minutes including waiting time and cost about 130 yen.

Hope the info helps.. Good luck.

Man, that's a lot to do in one day--unless you're just going to get off at one station, look around for 1-2 minutes, and get back on the train! Be prepared to walk!

PS- I know everyone recommends going to Asakusa, and not that it isn't a nice temple or anything, but have any of you been to Narita-san before in Narita, Japan? Even though it's a big tourist spot too, I think the omotesando-dori (road leading to the temple/shrine) is a much better experience than the equivalent at Asakusa. Also, the park inside the walls is worth the trip alone.

Man, that's a lot to do in one day--unless you're just going to get off at one station, look around for 1-2 minutes, and get back on the train! Be prepared to walk!

If your calculations are right then all he/she'll need is 2 and 1/2 hours. :)

is it just a stop over?

I had a similar thing last year. google it... there is heaps of places recommended by flight attendants who go out n party for 1 night stop overs before flying out the next day

^^^ This would be my plan of attack too. Save all the touristy stuff for another time when you aren't so rushed.

if its just a stop over walk around the streets near your hotel in narita. go to the convenience store and buy some food then try some of the beer/ alcohol in the hotel bar.

A first timer to Japan would not want to be rushed,.. trying to navigate your way around the first few times using the train system can be stressful

...yeah its only a stop over to new york..i get in at 6pm...out the next day midday..so im going hard on the red bull...(or jap equivilant).....not really concerned about shopping for clothes/parts.........is the omote-sando bridge hard to get to from tokyo using public transport?...and is using public transport that hard to get around?(for non japanese)..thanks for the feed back...just wanna make the most of it while im there! p.s anyone wanna meet up!?? :teehee:

Edited by zed200

ull have no time! you get in at 6pm ... that means youll be at your hotel at about 9pm minumum. and you have to be back at the airport about 9- 9.30 the next morning.

for the first few times.. yes its hard for japanese/ non japanese to use the trains

Talking about even trying to get to the outskirts of tokyo let alone omote sando is crazy....and yes omote sando is far and you have to transfer many times from where you will be staying.. Narita is FAR from omote sando.

the first time i went to japan it was for a stop over too, and i had a good time walking around narita/ checking out the car parks taking photos.

Edited by akeenan

you must be kidding! land at 6pm, leave at 12pm the next day. man, seriously forget site seeing, or parts shopping or anything really. read my first post, but if you are staying outside of tokyo I doubt you'll even have time to get to the park hyatt for that drink.

dang...oh well thank for the info anways guys....

Hey :D Man

Just RELAX go for it and have a GOOD TIME ! 10 years in Japan myself and I always have a good time even now

Just get talking to some girls on the street and go with it !

Take care a TAKE IT EASY :P

yeah I would swap asakusa for Harajuku and do Meiji-jingu shrine whilst you are there. the garden leading up to the shrine from the omote-sando bridge is amazing. so tranquil.

Especially when its snowing :nyaanyaa: