SAU Community

I Think I Screwed My Cluster :(

Yidz

Don't know if anyone is as stupid as me to do it, but I think I may have.

I had to replace the top section of the dash in the 32. Went through all fine and perfect, until we put it back together and figured the speedo was now not working.

First assumption was "Oh, its not connected properly, shouldnt be a big drama"

Anyway, we took it back off on the weekend (after having HICAS dramas) and I think I farked it. The little tip that connects to the cluster (removable plastic thing) has become removed from the back of the cluster and is wedged in the hole where the speedo usually connects..and I tried my ass off trying to get it out but because there's so much lubrication shit in there u cant get a grip on it (pliers, pins, flat head screwdrivers etc) my mate even tried his vacuum LMAO and it still wouldnt come out.

Anyhow.. has anyone had a similar problem to this and how much would it cost to fix if so??

I need to try and get it done ASAP because after about 10 mins of driving my HICAS shits itself and I loose a lot of power in the steering. Its hackable but its not great ;).

Does anyone also know if this HICAS problem would go hand in hand with no speedo?

Cheers (Sorry, I have NFI about skylines, my last cars were commodores)

Hey dude. I read through your post a few times but not 100% on what happened. Did the lug at the end of the speedo cable break off and is now stuck in the back of the dash cluster?

No speedo input will cause HICAS to stuff up as HICAS does different things at low/mid/high speeds.

Here's a pic of the back of my dash cluster - where did this lug go?

Mark

post-14114-1167719948.jpg

Sorry, i'm pretty hopeless when trying to explain something technically.

Basically that little piece that joins the speedo (the cable that controls the speedo) has come detached and has been pushed into the hole that it would usually sit in whilst connected to the speedo.

Also, HICAS has only be playing up since this has happened.. its really strange

Edited by Yidz

same thing happened to me. The plastic thing is supposed to stay attached to the speedo cable

Go for a little drive to see if that white plastic piece still spins inside the white cup. If it does, then it just slides into the cluster and turns the speedo

If it isnt turning you can re-sleeve it with a straw which will make the whole assembly a tight fit again. Other people have superglued it back in place. But you must make sure the plastic tip is pressed hard into the speedo cable and stays there so it has no choice but to turn with the cable.

I dunno if thats clear enough but if you have questions just ask and ill be able to answer them cause ive just done exactly the same thing a month back

Nah that little plastic piece is away from the cluster and in the hole where the speedo cable is. Its really small and it goes all the way into the speedo cable.

I originally thought it was suppose to be connected to the cluster or is it suppose to be in the hole in the speedo cable?

Either way, the plastic piece is in too far into that hole.. and I cant get anything to wedge it out if you understand what i mean because its not making a connection from the speedo cable to the cluster.

Sorry if I'm making it hard to understand..

its supposed to be where it is. a little spring should sit inbetween it and the cable which pushes it out far enough so it can interlock in the cluster.

go for a drive and if it spins, then it should be able to turn the cluster once you put it back together properly

its supposed to be where it is. a little spring should sit inbetween it and the cable which pushes it out far enough so it can interlock in the cluster.

go for a drive and if it spins, then it should be able to turn the cluster once you put it back together properly

Ok I think you have picked it.. When we took the cluster out the spring must have fallen out somewhere, as I know that isn't there, hence why that plastic piece has gone too far in the speedo cable, because its gone into the smaller hole that the spring must take up.

It must be pretty tiny to fit through that hole and we must have misplaced it.

The dash is all back together as I had to drive it a few times in between, but im 99% sure thats what would of happened.

I havent vacuumed the car since so hopefully with a bit of luck its fallen onto the floor or something :P

Its pretty easy to do if you have some basic knowledge of your car. The cable simply bolts into the drivers side of the gearbox. There are some clips that hold it in place that easily come out. The cable enters the cabin about half-way up the fire wall, roughly in-line with your knees. Its a small black triangle with three bolts if i remeber correctly. The end is exactly what you see when you remove the cluster. The attachment that goes into the back is simply held in place behind the dash. Its pretty easy to remove. I wouldn't pay someone to do it but it depends on how confident you are working on your car. I've put some pics in. Look for the black plastic thing on the firewall.

post-29295-1167874007.jpg

post-29295-1167874077.jpg

post-29295-1167874128.jpg