SAU Community

Gtr Losing Power/misfiring/unhappy

Well the plot thickens with this car... Driving today and it started misfiring and losing mass power, not just misfiring on one cylinder but totally dropping 1-2k rpm before giving me a few more splutters then dropping power again. Nursed it home (problems seem related to heat/load).

At this point I was thinking bad plugs/coil pack(s) or fuel pump perhaps. Got home let it cool down and and removed the coil cover and found that the car has Split Fire coils and NGK Iriway plugs, plugs seemed in good condition, no carbon build up, nothing cracked/broken etc etc.

So Im thinking, could it be the ignition module (Took this out of the car and cooled it down and drove again with no issues til everything was hot again) Or something timing related? (whatever it is related to heat/load for sure) or as mentioned, a fuel pump issue?

Here's some pics to help.

post-23873-1168062706.jpgpost-23873-1168062728.jpgpost-23873-1168062748.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Impul unit does not have diagnostic LED's on it at all =\ I took it apart completely and took soem photos of the EPROM if that's of any use.

hey would say it is the coil packs are breaking down when they get hot so they would only run on a few cils. Happen to mine yesterday, soon as i let it cool down. start it again and runs fine untill it gets hot again am getting new coil packs that will fix my problem could be the same as mine :P

Edited by silvercam

Really doubt its coil packs as you have splitfires and the problem doesn't appear to be only under full load. When the problem occurs, what does the tacho do, if it jumps around, id say the cas, if it doesn't, then the igniter.

Tacho just starts dropping as if the engine has stalled then fires a few more times so if I was at say 3k rpm I'd get nothing from the engine for another 2k rpm then it would fire a few more times etc. If I clutch in and let it try and idle it'll bounce between like 20 and 1100rpm lik it only just fires in time to keep the engine running. It's not a hunt though like the famous AAC Valve issue on GTS25T's it simply just doesn't fire.

Any idea what an ignition module is worth?

Edited by ActionDan

I think i might possibly have the only R33 GTR around this area =D There 'might' be one more but I don't know the guy. There's a really good mechanic out of town who apparently races GTR's I'm trying to get in touch with him for some assistance. Might get the car into tuning shop or Nissan tomorrow to see if they can give me an error code.

Dude get this hting checked i had this issue last week and im running big power. my CAS was on its way out, and its f**king scary when your pride joy and big parts of you savings start to sputter and drop revs. i looked like a coil related problem but when i swapped my coild to a mate's RB 26 they fires correctly, after that i tried my ignitor, same agian, bu when i checked my CAS it was shot. it didnt give the correct signal, have it checked before smth worse happens

I had a similiar problem until I got my timing belt replaced and done 100,000km service to replace all the platinum plugs with new ones and got new coils, plus had the fuel rails cleaned.

If your in Vic Garry Rogers Nissan in Glen Waverly still service GTR's and they work on my r33 for stock stuff.

Edited by fuzzy_scuz