SAU Community

Pwr Radiators

GTROB

Hey all.

The Radiator has just given up the ghost In my GTR and needs replacing. Just wondering has any one used PWR alloy Radiators before and are they any good.

Edited by GTROB

can't remeber clearly but either the WRC wrx or corolla is using them, i saw them on the real car they raced when it was on display at Melbourne auto show 2 years ago

u can't go wrong if they are using it too

Yeah man, real nice, i've had one for about twelve months now in a VL with an RB26, and it's been spot on. They're basically the same as what the V8 supercars use. Just make sure you earth it good, and use nice coolant!

just jap radiators are crap.......no offence to just jap, but there seriously sh1t, my mates car overheated rediculous, so he slapped a standard s14 radiator in and bam, no more problems.......

at the end of the day u get what u pay for, spend a little money to get a long way, after all..........ur engine will thank you for it

p.s - wat do u mean by earthing it good RB26TTVL???

Stray current....

If the car has poorly wired accessories that will happen.

In our lines that already run an alloy rad if you don't have a problem then no need to worry. The VL's are released with a copper core so any problems won't show until u fit an alloy rad.

Thats the way I understand it. :) Could be wrong.

Apparently if you don't earth it a corrosive charge can build up. Local mechanic who is a bit of a closet maniac suggested it.

This happened to one of my friends who has an RB25 in a 180sx...there was holes in the radiator everywhere after only a month :) expensive lesson learned!

• 4 weeks later...
This happened to one of my friends who has an RB25 in a 180sx...there was holes in the radiator everywhere after only a month :P expensive lesson learned!

Got the Radiator. It looks excellent. The quality of workmanship is excellent. Customer service from the guys up in Qld PWR branch is second to none.

Sorry tlo say it but I disagree with earthing alloy radiators. If all your mounts and hose'a are good the radiator should be isolated from the car, so putting a earth on it will then allow stray current to be intrduced into the rad.

whats the cost of a PWR radiaor?

it was $1000 with thermo fan and a second boss in the top tank for a thermo switch. You can't get it hot at all. I'll bring the car over in the next couple of days.

Yeah man, real nice, i've had one for about twelve months now in a VL with an RB26, and it's been spot on. They're basically the same as what the V8 supercars use. Just make sure you earth it good, and use nice coolant!

Tell me what this guy was smoking when this crap came out of his mouth. Almost all factory radiators are rubber mounted so why aren't all factory cars pissing coolant after a couple of years?

Sorry tlo say it but I disagree with earthing alloy radiators. If all your mounts and hose'a are good the radiator should be isolated from the car, so putting a earth on it will then allow stray current to be intrduced into the rad.

I agree with what GTROB says, though you still need a source for the current & then your problem is dodgy wiring not your radiator.

what thickness did you buy, and did you have to lose the viscous fan or did you choose to lose it?

I bought my GTS-t PWR rad from morpowa and they matched my delivered price from QLD. Totally happy with it, had it on the track and was perfect. Put the stocky back in after it got defected and noticed temps rose just sitting in traffic.

BTW, are these alloy rads regency friendly? I think we swapped mine over just to be safe.

what thickness did you buy, and did you have to lose the viscous fan or did you choose to lose it?

I bought my GTS-t PWR rad from morpowa and they matched my delivered price from QLD. Totally happy with it, had it on the track and was perfect. Put the stocky back in after it got defected and noticed temps rose just sitting in traffic.

BTW, are these alloy rads regency friendly? I think we swapped mine over just to be safe.

I think it's 53mm thick?? What ever their thickest is. Also its cross flow not upright. I choose to lose the fan and put a thermo on it. Got the thoermo turning on at 85 deg C and off at 80 deg C, and you very rarely here the thermo come on, the rad works that well. After a long run and the car is idling down on the turbo timer the fan may come on for 20 sec at the most.

Can't see how alloy rad could be some thing cops or regency would dislike. But you never know with either of them.