SAU Community

Bonnet Venting

After having fixed a dry solder joint in my AFM tonight(Most likely from the heat I'm about to talk about) I noted that the engine bay gets damn hot and stays hot for a long time (Series II R33 GTR). With this in mind I'm wondering if anyone has endevoured to vent the bonnet or purchase a vented bonnet with the aim of reducing engine bay temps and hopefully prolong component life. I'm not looking for huge rice vents, just options on something practical.

What are peopls thoughts on this idea, do you run the risk of allowing rain/debris/dust/dirt etc into the engine bay in larger than normal amounts, is there a real temp drop as a result, what have people done if they've pursued this idea (pics would be great too).

Thanks all

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Carbon fibre vented bonnet and that kep my temps down and also had a inlet over hte air filter. When i went to a standard bonnet i felt the car was not as responsive prob due to no air intake vent. i aslo found on hot days the temp needle ran higher. I have no issues whit dirt or water.

I was think bout getting a vented bonnet but i was wondering about driving it in the rain, say if u stop at the traffic lights or something where the engine is gonna be hot does the rain running down through the vents directly onto the engine cause steam or anything?

I also know your no ment to directly cool a hot engine incase some cracks goin from hot to cold that quickly

look up the 270R 200sx tuned by nismo

have a look at what they did it would be hard to spot if yor painted the whole lot in the factory colour

the hole I cut is very small and only just behind the radiator shroud and stops just before the rocker cover

hmmm maybe dont have a look lol

just refreshed my memory and its not how I remember it

my advice cut hole in bonnet not frame no one likes a floppy bonnet

fill hole with mesh paint mesh black tada

function without the wank

Edited by 1400r

Well what some people do is place a number of washers where the hinge bolts on effectively lifting up the rear of the bonnet letting air escape out the back. You may also need longer bolts.

You could do this before a track event and then put it back to stock afterwards.

Mmm. I think that would look a bit wierd personally, someone got some pics?

Yes it looks weird. Heat isnt a problem on the street when you're talking a turbocharged engine of course theyre going to get hot. It's good to keep things cool yes but the engine bay has been designed with a higher temp in mind from the factory.

On the track where you're seeing a great deal higher temps is when you need to worry about it and think about getting temps down or moving air around or keeping heat inside the exhaust etc.

After having fixed a dry solder joint in my AFM tonight(Most likely from the heat I'm about to talk about) I noted that the engine bay gets damn hot and stays hot for a long time (Series II R33 GTR). With this in mind I'm wondering if anyone has endevoured to vent the bonnet or purchase a vented bonnet with the aim of reducing engine bay temps and hopefully prolong component life. I'm not looking for huge rice vents, just options on something practical.

What are peopls thoughts on this idea, do you run the risk of allowing rain/debris/dust/dirt etc into the engine bay in larger than normal amounts, is there a real temp drop as a result, what have people done if they've pursued this idea (pics would be great too).

Thanks all

hey mate, i recently got a z tune vent moulded into my 32gtr bonnet i noticed around 15+ degree drop in engine temp.

peeeeee.jpg

and rain gets in. but i dont really notice it bieng dirty or anything. just made sure the seal around my cam covers and coils is in good form!

just adding to the thread after reading the rest of it.. i have been pulled over by police on a number of occasions and nothing ever mentioned about the bonnet, or headlight.. or anything for that matter.

Edited by Angus Smart