SAU Community

Taking Photos Of White Cars

djr81

Some good tips here. I'd love a 400D myself but cant afford it quite yet so I have no choice but photoshop hehe

I have the same problem with my cam too where it overexposes shiny white things. To fix it, I'd shoot white cars a bit underexposed and use photoshop's shadow/highlights and levels tools.

If you shoot the car overexposed its really hard to get detail back in photoshop so underexposing is the way

• 2 weeks later...

Looks to me like the camera is metering the average for the whole frame, as the rest of your shot is perfectly exposed. but the white car is slightly overexposed (washed out, lack of detail).

Not sure on the specs of you camera, but if you could change the way it meters that would be a good way to go (centre weighted, with the car in the centre of frame). Actually, have just read the specs you posted, and it seems it does Ealuative, Centre Weighted and Spot. Try the Centre Weighted, and even a couple of shots with Spot (though this really will meter according to one spot, and ignore the rest of the frame, so could be very hit and miss). Of course you'll have to keep the car in the centre, then just crop differently for different placements.

Other than that, Genghis has a good idea with under exposing, then using Levels in photoshop (or masking off the car in seperate layer and adjusting just the levels of the car so that the background stays correctly exposed). I se from the specs that your camera can do -2 stops in 1/3 increments. Play around with -1/3, -2/3 and -1 stop (1 stop equals half the amount of light getting to the sensor).

Bsically try a few shots with each method, and a few combining them, then see which comes up best. The Exif info stored with the picture should tell you what exposure setting you were on, and maybe even what metering method. The software that came with the camera should be able to show that info.

Looks to me like the camera is metering the average for the whole frame, as the rest of your shot is perfectly exposed. but the white car is slightly overexposed (washed out, lack of detail).

Not sure on the specs of you camera, but if you could change the way it meters that would be a good way to go (centre weighted, with the car in the centre of frame). Actually, have just read the specs you posted, and it seems it does Ealuative, Centre Weighted and Spot. Try the Centre Weighted, and even a couple of shots with Spot (though this really will meter according to one spot, and ignore the rest of the frame, so could be very hit and miss). Of course you'll have to keep the car in the centre, then just crop differently for different placements.

Other than that, Genghis has a good idea with under exposing, then using Levels in photoshop (or masking off the car in seperate layer and adjusting just the levels of the car so that the background stays correctly exposed). I se from the specs that your camera can do -2 stops in 1/3 increments. Play around with -1/3, -2/3 and -1 stop (1 stop equals half the amount of light getting to the sensor).

Bsically try a few shots with each method, and a few combining them, then see which comes up best. The Exif info stored with the picture should tell you what exposure setting you were on, and maybe even what metering method. The software that came with the camera should be able to show that info.

Thanks for the info. The inherent problem is that you basically need to have the camera set up before the car hoves into view. So I guess if I use the ISO settings available & then go from there. Will play around with the exposure also.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the ISO setting will make, that may just adjust the shutter speed required for a given aperture (the sensitivity, also how much noise you end up with). The camera will still try to meter (expose) for the whole scene, that's why I reckon try centre weighted metering, that way it may help with white cars, and also with black as it will be concentrating on the car. If try to underexpose all the time, dark cars won't come out so well, so I guess you'll just have to find a good mid point that works well enough most of the time (unless it's really quick to change stuff).

Anyway, good luck, and if you find a set up that works post it up here and we can all learn what works in case we come across a similar problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as how the 400D is the camera of choice, does anyone know where to get one on special or know of a good place to buy them?

Have used www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au before and found them good, they list 400D for $1,178.00, any better prices or deals out there? No point paying more than I have too.

Haven't used before but

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au list the 400D for $1099. Might pop in and check out the store as it is in Brisbane and pick up is fine.

Oh, reason I am looking at just the camera body and not the whole lens kit as well is I have normal/old Canon Eos camera already and the lenses will work fine (apparently)?

Edited by wannabeslida