SAU Community

Computers For R32 Gtst

Archie

Hey guys, im thinking of getting a new computer for my r32 gtst. which one is the best quality?

Im looking for lots of feature control so that i can get as much power as possible without hurting the engine and fuel economy.

Edited by Archie

where you get your car serviced and tuned has a lot to do with new comp .no good getting a haltech/wolf/pfc if your tuner cant tune them ..

same goes for any ecu.

go by what your tuner recommends.

Yep, ive got dynotuners that can do it for the powerfc. Just not sure about the others.

How many kw or Hp can you expect to gain from installing one in a stock r32 gtst with just an exhaust?

Not a lot, you need an I/C upgrade, and probably a turbo (RB25 or otherwise) to really make value out of any aftermarket ECU on the RB20 IMO.

As the stock RB20 ECU isnt too bad, and an AFC or similar will do the job for a much cheaper price vs gain

AFC is an air fuel controller...which allows the adjustment of your fuel mixtures...afms are air flow meters...without telling us what you have on the car we won't be able to tell you if you need an afm upgrade like a "Z32 AFM"...

Also...we won't be able to tell you which ecu is the "best quality" because that is too vague...its like asking which cloud is the fluffiest...you want max power but still be safe? then find a good tuner...thats the most important...but remember...even a safe and well tuned car thats pushed too hard will sustain some damage or get tired after awhile...

yeah thats true. Well i bought the car completely stock, and all that i have done is changed the sespension (greddy adjustable coilovers) very nice, and Trust power extreme II exhaust system, 3.5" stainless cat, and 3" front pipe. sounds excellent!!

Archie,

On the dyno I run on an R32 GTST with an FMIC, full exhaust, std turbo, 1bar of boost (with NO boost drop which requires a good dump and exhaust + a good ebc) and tuned ecu gets around 170-175rwkw.

The stock rb20det turbo's tend to drop boost a touch at these power levels, if you can't get it holding boost with your dump pipe/exhaust + ebc combination then you'll be looking at 165-170rwkw. So not a lot of difference, you still have the meaty mid range which is what matters most.

Bolt an RB25det turbo on, tune it up and you'll net around 190-195rwkw on the same boost.

Gives you a rough indication of what to expect.

Cheers cubes, that sounds good.

What is the FMIC? And how much would an rb25det turbo cost?

And what about airfilters? I heard some people actually loose power after installing a pod filter over the stock airbox?

FMIC is a front mount intercooler.

Standard they have a tinny little intercooler in the left hand side of the front bumper.

They are too small to run decent boost through as they are unable to remove the heat from the air. ~$400 odd.

You can pick up an RB25DET turbo here on SAU for ~$400 odd.

Airfilter.. its not really a concern.

Your probably looking at 2-3k by the time you get the exhaust, fmic, turbo, ecu and tuning sorted. Adds up quick. :D

Consider for another $400 on top of the rb25 turbo you can grab a slide highflow that will make more power.