SAU Community

Cant get the flywheel bolts undone...

Hi all,

How tight are the flywheel bolts done up? I cant seem to get these undone...is there a good method, I have tried a couple of ways...is a rattle gun the best way? I dont have one of these....

Cheers,

Thanks

Russ

I have tied a 1 metre extension on my socket...The heads of the bolts are very short and the socket dosen't stay on the head of the bolt very easily...bugger they are really tight...

Any other ideas....

Cheers,

Russ

you are right they are on tight. And they need to go back on tight too.

I used a standard socket set and brute strength to get my bolts off, I hit my hand twice (very #%$*n hard) and can't reccomend this method, so go the rattle gun if you can get one.

Yes, I had the same problem over the weekend when I changed my clutch, we used a Air Compressed Rattle Gun and we had to keep upping the pressure to get them off.

You also definately need an impact socket as we destroyed a normal socket (CRACKED)

Just a qik question to all the home mechanics, need to change my clutch soon... so when you guys did yours, how did you raise your cars to get the gearbox out (if at home)?

My mate was telling me theres a bolt right at the top of the bellhousing thats a pain to get to and needed a very long extension.. he also told me he neede 4 ppl to get the box out...??????

To all those people wanting to put extenders on their ratchets - my advice is don't. It will probably work several times, but it's not healthy for the ratchet at all because it's relatively delicate inside.

You should buy a "breaker bar" which is about $40 from a good tool shop, which is designed for this purpose. It's about half a metre long and works really well with extenders. Because it's a lot longer than a normal ratchet a lot of the time you won't even need the extender.

Originally posted by JimX

To all those people wanting to put extenders on their ratchets - my advice is don't. It will probably work several times, but it's not healthy for the ratchet at all because it's relatively delicate inside.  

You should buy a "breaker bar" which is about $40 from a good tool shop, which is designed for this purpose. It's about half a metre long and works really well with extenders. Because it's a lot longer than a normal ratchet a lot of the time you won't even need the extender.

Or buy a sydchrome toolset, if they break they replace it for free.

Stop buying your tools outa the bargin bin at kmart! :shake:

The ratchet may not break, but it might turn into a sloppy bitch like one of mine did. Using an extender bar on a ratchet is just so... bush mechanic :)

hey,

well i have experienced undoing theauto driver plate flywheel. it attributed to 8 of the best stitches. Then i found out about a using the trolley jack bar ontop of the ratchet. Basically get another long ratchet bar for the front bolt. around 40cm, and lean it up against the chasis so its doesn't budge. put a towel underneath so u dont scratch if you want.

then just get under the car, and with your trolley jack bracker bar, you car do the flywheel bolts undone. I used the long socket set of ratchets. 17mm, or 19 mm. cant remember.

Put pressure on the bar slowly. in the anti clockwise direction, and the bar holding the front bolt, will put force against the crank so it doesn't spin or slip. and the flywheel bolts will come undone.

and you should save your self a lot of trouble and 8 stitches.

When putting the box off i just put a trolley jack under the plug of the box, and lowered it. I have done this around 5 times now in 2 weeks, for my car.

Getting to the top bolt in the difficult place, i just jacked the car up high. (setting trolley jacks on highest setting). And then lower the back of the box, so it goes on angled, and so does the motor. thus you can access the bolt. (if i can do it in the s13 tunnel u can do it).

u probly already done it, but felt like typing.

hehe.

(lining up the clutch with the spigot bush is another story, stuck on that at the moment).