SAU Community

R34 GTT Turbo Upgrade - Direct Bolt On (almost)

Hey all. I know there is a plethora of information about Hypergear turbos on these threads, with Tao providing a heap of Dyno results. I was looking at Hypergear's ATR45-SAT (Special application turbocharger) as it will directly bolt on to my existing setup, with some basic fabrication/relocation of some intake piping, and will suffice for my 300-350rwkw power figure I am after with my current setup for street use. Only thing is he doesnt provide any specs from what I can see on the size of the housings, or any sizings of inlets/outlets, which I thought would be basic information you would provide there for your customers to see when deciding to choose your product, like other turbo sellers do. Has anyone got some of their own feedback and dyno results on that specific turbo? 

Was also looking at Kinugawa turbos that were a direct bolt on, and had heard good things about them, I dont think theyre as popular as they used to be, but has anyone had one recently theyve purchased and used?

Any other recommendations with reasoning as to why they went with it?

The ATR45SAT if you are going to run it on Pump 98 fuel with a very free flow engine setup on a very healthy standard engine you will likely be making 280~300rwkws mark and up to 350rwkws on E85 fuel. Turbo is capable of making 400rwkws on externally gated on E85 fuel.

Housing sizing has been updated. The inlet size is 3 inches and outlet size is 2 inches. Hot side is T3 that fits your standard exhaust manifold and dump side is 6 bolts that fits factory dump pipe. Turbo comes with braided oil line, banjo adapters and oil drain adapter.

Client result from Uni group. R34 4 door, with front mount cooler, 3.5 inches turbo back exhaust, 3 inches metal intake pipe, fuel system upgrade and programmable ecu. P98 fuel 307rwkws @ 20psi

image.thumb.jpeg.84b50111099de87cf347f4de076e3f35.jpeg

Edited by hypergear
  • Like 2

I think Tao tries to keep it simple for what's on the website because he has so many options. If you have specific questions he always talks through it with you. It sounds like you have been reading someone's rants on Facebook. I personally would disregard when every day there's a new one. 

I actually have the turbo you mentioned and love it! It isn't running at its capacity though because I had issues on the dyno preventing it being turned up and haven't gone back to try again. When it was first installed the guys at the shop (wrongly) thought it was faulty and sent it back to tao he happily checked it over thoroughly and even put it on his own car and sent through photos and video of everything. I think thats pretty good after sales service. It turned out they were wrong. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mick Dean said:

I think Tao tries to keep it simple for what's on the website because he has so many options. If you have specific questions he always talks through it with you. It sounds like you have been reading someone's rants on Facebook. I personally would disregard when every day there's a new one. 

I actually have the turbo you mentioned and love it! It isn't running at its capacity though because I had issues on the dyno preventing it being turned up and haven't gone back to try again. When it was first installed the guys at the shop (wrongly) thought it was faulty and sent it back to tao he happily checked it over thoroughly and even put it on his own car and sent through photos and video of everything. I think thats pretty good after sales service. It turned out they were wrong. 

Yeah i had seen some things others had said, even a couple of individuals who are not associated with the current rant going on who had said they were having extreme lag issues as well as a noise from the waste gate which is a concern. I understand Tao and Hypergear have a long history of good products, just hoping that quality is a thing that has continued to this day and not a thing of the past 

19 hours ago, hypergear said:

The ATR45SAT if you are going to run it on Pump 98 fuel with a very free flow engine setup on a very healthy standard engine you will likely be making 280~300rwkws mark and up to 350rwkws on E85 fuel. Turbo is capable of making 400rwkws on externally gated on E85 fuel.

Housing sizing has been updated. The inlet size is 3 inches and outlet size is 2 inches. Hot side is T3 that fits your standard exhaust manifold and dump side is 6 bolts that fits factory dump pipe. Turbo comes with braided oil line, banjo adapters and oil drain adapter.

Client result from Uni group. R34 4 door, with front mount cooler, 3.5 inches turbo back exhaust, 3 inches metal intake pipe, fuel system upgrade and programmable ecu. P98 fuel 307rwkws @ 20psi

image.thumb.jpeg.84b50111099de87cf347f4de076e3f35.jpeg

Is it a concern that my intercooler piping is all 3”? I noticed on your forum about your turbos you mentioned a 600x300x80mm core is recommended, Wouldn’t there be some lag issues with a turbo outlet being 2 inches, going into 3” piping, through a large intercooler and to the intake plenum?

22 minutes ago, LjB123 said:

Wouldn’t there be some lag issues with a turbo outlet being 2 inches, going into 3” piping, through a large intercooler and to the intake plenum?

That is an imaginary problem that dates back to the 90s. The reality is that the volume of that pipework is absolutely tiny compared to the pumping capacity of the turbo as it comes on boost. You can just do the maths yourself to work out how many milliseconds difference it's going to be between 2" and 3" pipework.

• Like 1

First of all, the rant blocked everyone whom left possitive feedbacks and removed their comments. Its a none brainer to workout that guy got issues reading at post he's ranted about others. 

We've built alot of turbos for the past 19 years, some of the big ATR45 turbos are not made for Rb25det, since they all T3 people just fitted  and used them any way. Current models are even more responsive, once fitted to a proper setup.

Put it in this way. if you found current model ATR45SAT extremely laggy, send it back and I will refund you in full.

Edited by hypergear
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, hypergear said:

ATR45 turbos are not made for Rb25det, since they all T3 people just fitted  and used them any way

I am guilty lol.

Wasn't too bad, you get 1bar of boost by 4500rpm provided VCT is functioning.

ATR45 was an initial model similar to a TD06H-25G, the ATR45SAT in T3 .63 rear housing was developed few years later made to fit Rb25det engines. Current model has better response then earlier models. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I am guilty lol.

Wasn't too bad, you get 1bar of boost by 4500rpm provided VCT is functioning.

What specs did you go with?

1 hour ago, hypergear said:

First of all, the rant blocked everyone whom left possitive feedbacks and removed their comments. Its a none brainer to workout that guy got issues reading at post he's ranted about others. 

We've built alot of turbos for the past 19 years, some of the big ATR45 turbos are not made for Rb25det, since they all T3 people just fitted  and used them any way. Current models are even more responsive, once fitted to a proper setup.

Put it in this way. if you found current model ATR45SAT extremely laggy, send it back and I will refund you in full.

What would you recommend as a step up from the SAT model to get similar/slightly more power, but external wastegate?

Was looking at getting the external wastegate plumbed back kit you sell. Have you any feedback on how the plumbed back merge goes with back pressure? I see the merge is in a really good spot, as its on a bend and transitions nicely, just heard things about people plumbing back, especially so close to the turbo outlet. Whats your thoughts?

16 minutes ago, LjB123 said:

What specs did you go with?

I'm assuming you're asking about my current turbo? 

It's a Garrett GTX3576R Gen 2 with a 1.01 divided turbine housing. Made 437kW with 1.8 tapering down to 1.6bar.

At the time, G series turbos were so new there wasn't much data on them so didn't want try something untested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I'm assuming you're asking about my current turbo? 

It's a Garrett GTX3576R Gen 2 with a 1.01 divided turbine housing. Made 437kW with 1.8 tapering down to 1.6bar.

At the time, G series turbos were so new there wasn't much data on them so didn't want try something untested.

Im kinda new to the whole turbo thing, im still trying to learn the names of them all and what numbers mean 😂 so many different things its crazy

Had been looking at a GTX3076R, just so many mixed opinions on whats good for what

4 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Surely nowadays a G series can be done in a very-nearly-bolt-on-in-stock-location on a RB25 on a stock manifold etc.

Surely.

I have not really looked into it for reasons

Yeah i know Kinugawa turbos (made in Taiwan) have bolt ons for RB25’s in the G series turbos. They were my other option i was looking into for a reasonably priced turbo setup along with Hypergear turbos

Just now, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I'm not a fan, not enough turbine.

Hence I went with a GTX3576R

Im looking for around 300-350rwkw, as it is purely a weekend street car, and for now that much power is plenty for some fun, as well as not needing to go into forged internals for reliability.

45 minutes ago, LjB123 said:

What would you recommend as a step up from the SAT model to get similar/slightly more power, but external wastegate?

Was looking at getting the external wastegate plumbed back kit you sell. Have you any feedback on how the plumbed back merge goes with back pressure? I see the merge is in a really good spot, as its on a bend and transitions nicely, just heard things about people plumbing back, especially so close to the turbo outlet. Whats your thoughts?

The latest version of bolt on would be the ATR43SS-2 models, turbo is more responsive and has higher power capacity. We have a member in NZ did a built recently with it using the external gate plumb back setup that made a pretty healthy 311rwkws on P98 fuel. Anyone got a link to his build? 

311rwkw.thumb.jpg.d9bbb0fed6924c20e7c5dd10001f907c.jpg

enginebay.thumb.jpg.531dd0f7bba785b036aa582ef5b10843.jpg

gateonturbinehousing.thumb.jpg.8934da92c390d04d429b6ccda6221831.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypergear said:

The latest version of bolt on would be the ATR43SS-2 models, turbo is more responsive and has higher power capacity. We have a member in NZ did a built recently with it using the external gate plumb back setup that made a pretty healthy 311rwkws on P98 fuel. Anyone got a link to his build? 

311rwkw.thumb.jpg.d9bbb0fed6924c20e7c5dd10001f907c.jpg

enginebay.thumb.jpg.531dd0f7bba785b036aa582ef5b10843.jpg

gateonturbinehousing.thumb.jpg.8934da92c390d04d429b6ccda6221831.jpg

What turbine housing option was used on this one? What difference would i see between the .63 and .71?

1 minute ago, LjB123 said:

What turbine housing option was used on this one? What difference would i see between the .63 and .71?

The one on car above is .63 which is also more responsive