SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

I'm using a large body 3" Hi-Flow Metal Cat...

Main reasons for using one:

* a bid to muffle the sound a bit as the 3" straight through pipe was a tad bit loud (understatement)

* to stop myself and other occupants from getting high every time we go for a drive, massive amounts fuel fumes before cat (parched throat, stinging eyes etc), none after

Cost of the cat was quite reasonable too although I got other things done at the same time.

I was running a decat pipe for a long time and never experienced any of the symptoms you state.. sounds like you had an exhaust leak near a cabin opening..

I have tried a 3" X-force "high flow" cat (the ones that are similar shape to stock) and they suck in my application.

Yeah not sure where the fuel smell was coming from but the cat fixed it up... there was an exhaust leak at the turbo flange at one stage, but that was fixed up. All good now!

Mine isn't a X-Force cat, it's a Metal Cat...

I've actually got a question for all you peeps with the RB30 and some serious HP coming from them... what's your exhaust note sounding like? I'm finding mine to be very loud, and actually look over my shoulder more often than not to make sure there's no 5-0 behind me to tear me a new bum-hole...

I'm looking at replacing my Trust PE2 Catback with a different system that uses a large oval bodied muffler - hopefully that will bring the noise levels down.

Hmmm weird... my car even at idle is quite loud (much more noticeable than the old 25), the exhaust system is relatively the same (add screamer pipe, add cat, add hotdog) so essentially the old system should have been louder?!?

My main concern is not WOT noises as I can control that with foot... it's the cruising along, idling sound levels that I'm paranoid about.

At full song it is music to the ears though, especially going through tunnels :)

The cams made mine quite a bit louder on idle cruise etc but I'm used to it now.

Still quieter than an rb25 with a canon style exhaust by far.

It sounds louder in the car than it is outside when I've had the other half drive the car. :)

I've actually got a question for all you peeps with the RB30 and some serious HP coming from them... what's your exhaust note sounding like? I'm finding mine to be very loud, and actually look over my shoulder more often than not to make sure there's no 5-0 behind me to tear me a new bum-hole...

I'm looking at replacing my Trust PE2 Catback with a different system that uses a large oval bodied muffler - hopefully that will bring the noise levels down.

I run a 3" straight through system, with a cat, and two mufflers.

My exhaust is loudest at idle, and even then, it's legal.

Open the throttle right up, and all that you can hear is the engine itself revving, and the turbo induction.

My whole system is custom, the only off the shelf item is my cat, my mufflers are all custom built.

If you're around Sydney/Wollongong, and you want a really nice sounding car, that's quiet, with HUGE flow, PM me, and I'll pass on some details for you.

Oh, and when my mufflers were built, we were looking going "Hrm, we can fit X, but we'll just stick to smaller for now, if we want quieter, we can make this one bigger, that one bigger, oh, and throw another one in there..."

For reference my rear muffler is a 7" 650mm round custom muffler with fibreglass packing, straight through setup. And mid muffler is a 5" 550mm from memory (Or maybe it's the 650 and the 7" is the 550) and it runs fibreglass packing as well, and if I wanted another one, I was going to lengthen the 5" muffler to 950mm, and also chuck in another 5" 650mm stainless packed muffler BEFORE the cat (Hence stainless to deal with greater heat)

Hey MBS206, got any photos of your setup? I'm really keen...

At the moment this is how my system goes:

3" Dump Pipe hanging off Turbonetics GTK Turbo

3" Hi Flow Metal Cat

3" Hot Dog (some generic brand)

3" PE2 Rear Muffler

The thing is; we previously got rid of the mid-muffler on the PE2 when it was still a RB25, it was relatively OK then. Now that it's a 30 and sounds like a jet plane all the time, I really wish we didn't do that.

PM me the details PREASE?

I have tried a 3" X-force "high flow" cat (the ones that are similar shape to stock) and they suck in my application.

Thanks for the input, thats the kind of stuff I was trying to find out. I was thinking of a metal cat or magic cat, apparently the std GTR ones flow quite good, id be interested to know if anyone is using one & what sort of results they get from it.

So far Ive made my 3" dump with external gate merge down stream below the passenger footwell, need to sort out my catback system & get my fingers on a good cat. Planning on running straight through barrell at the rear with a straight through oval style muff in the middle

WOW that looks more stock than stock. Looks awesome.

Thats the kinda look im after no one would even think twice.

Are you still using the stock manifold?

Still using the stock exhaust manifold, all port matched to the gaskets. Near its limits obviously.

The airbox has a 4" inlet cut in to the bottom.

Thanks for the input, thats the kind of stuff I was trying to find out. I was thinking of a metal cat or magic cat, apparently the std GTR ones flow quite good, id be interested to know if anyone is using one & what sort of results they get from it.

So far Ive made my 3" dump with external gate merge down stream below the passenger footwell, need to sort out my catback system & get my fingers on a good cat. Planning on running straight through barrell at the rear with a straight through oval style muff in the middle

For some reason I didn't get notified of this reply... :) :)

I don't have any current photos, but, I'll attempt to slide under the car tomorrow and get some photos of the setup, where the car is currently sitting, I can't move it, or jack it up, so I'll try my best to get some photos, but they won't be great, when it goes up on the hoist next, I'll grab the good photos. Please note, the dump pipe WON'T be bolted up.

I'll try get the measurements as well of what sizes I'm running length wise, I know it's definitely a 5" and a 7" (midd and rear)

I'm thinking of trying to make it even quieter, so I might lengthen my mid section, and put the front muffler on, just to see how quiet I can really get it.