SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

just spoke to serco or as u call it wiseco they say if u use Forge pistons to suit na rb30 you need 2 mm head gasket to get 8.5-1 CR so i think the CR debate should be verified

this is using rb25de head this is what the guy said to suit this combo

not sure if this is correct

some of this info can be very confusing for an amature engine builder being a tradesman myself wrong information can lead to un desired results

if anyone can shed some light on this using wiseco NA forged pistons ie give a part number for an exact measured CR using the piston with correct head gasket would be very valuable info for this build up

just spoke to serco or as u call it wiseco they say if u use Forge pistons to suit na rb30 you need 2 mm head gasket to get 8.5-1 CR so i think the CR debate should be verified  

this is using rb25de head this is what the guy said to suit this combo  

not sure if this is correct  

some of this info can be very confusing for an amature engine builder being a tradesman myself wrong information can lead to un desired results  

if anyone can shed some light on this using wiseco NA forged pistons ie give a part number for an exact measured CR using the piston with correct head gasket would be very valuable info for this build up

Did you ask the guy why their catalogue looks to be so far out? It makes no sense, they have incorrect combustion chamber CC's, conrod lengths are inconsistent etc

HKS 3037 ProS has internal wastegate..... looks stock.

GT30, GT35 need external wastegate. Very naughty! approx $2600 + $700 for w/g + $??? to modify manifold and w/g dump pipe.

Prices would come out close, depending on the duties imposed on the 3037.

Hi OVL-747, if the pipework is causing a restriction then it is too small.

sk - its not so much the i/d of the pipe , as its 2 ans 3/4 inch , but it has a conduluted plastic/rubber pipe , which is woefull on air flow.

thats why i have pissed all mine off in favour of nice stainless , with no afm either.

HKS 3037 ProS has internal wastegate..... looks stock.

GT30, GT35 need external wastegate. Very naughty! approx $2600 + $700 for w/g + $??? to modify manifold and w/g dump pipe.

Prices would come out close, depending on the duties imposed on the 3037.

Nothing naughty about external wastegates at all.

And like GiJOr33 said.. if you are going for such a turbo why not take advantage of it and use an custom manifold.. for the record garret GT35's can be had for $2000, brand spanking new. *looks at GT35R :D *

no - too big for a 'normal' rb25

Nothing stock looking about a 3037PROS

Skyrine Dave - the whole garrett vs HKS thing has been discussed in depth in a monstor thread, so if you want several opinions, try a search:)

Yeah not too big... but i think a 2835R turbo would be a damn good match for an RB25. Big enough to give good flow and power, and small enough so that boost comes on early enough to use it on the street. The 3040 turbo's are good too... better for slight modded RB25's like forged pistons as you can then run some higher boost and get some good power out of it.

I don't know what the HKS 2835R or HKS 3040 would compare to in the Garret range (even though the HKS turbos are based on Garret) as i dont know too much about garret turbo's!

for the record garret GT35's can be had for $2000, brand spanking new.

Where?

I didn't think external gates were 'road legal'. Or is that just if it has a screamer pipe?

For those of you who have purchased a turbo from Greenline, how much did it cost all up? Just wondering what duties, taxes and shipping costs applied.

Anyone??

no - too big for a 'normal' rb25

Nothing stock looking about a 3037PROS

Skyrine Dave - the whole garrett vs HKS thing has been discussed in depth in a monstor thread, so if you want several opinions, try a search:)

I well know the difference and facts :D, i was more questioning why you would want an HKS turbo for almost twice the price and less potential

i too think intergates on larger turbos are a waste of time... if you aer going for a large HP flow tubo, use an external gate.

Monsta: external venting wastegates (ie screamer pipe) are illegal. But external wastegates that are plumbed back into the exhaust are perfecly fine and legal *in most sates that arent overly nazi on mods

Hi All

Fantastic thread......

I am considering creating one of these frankensteins for my R31 Skyline Sedan.

So most of it should be fairly straight forward.

1. Has anyone used an auto? What power levels can the Auto delivered in Aus

Series 3 Skylines handle (the 4 speed Electronic). What about the RB25DE Auto.

(p.s. Yes I can drive a manual thanks very much) :wassup:

2. Cruise control, throttle cable. I can see that the throttle cable goes directly from the drivers side of the engine bay, on the R31 it loops around and comes

in from the passenger side, I have factory cruise control that comes in from the

passenger side also. Has anyone seen a R32 half cut with the cruise control solenoid and linkage on the throttle body.

3. Looms, I am going to use a R32 RB25DE Loom prob from a half cut, do the engine sensor>ECU part of the loom seperate reasonably easily from the rest of

the loom.

4. Insurance, as my car is currently NA I will have to let the insurance company

know that it will be turbo, (pretty obvious if they do an inspection). What

insurance companies are good with this sort of thing.

5. Turbo, the factory RB25DET Turbo may not last if you increase the boost too

much, what about other Import Turbos, say from a Supra or something, is there

something that will bolt on to a RB25DET exhaust manifold and offer a benefit.

I am only looking for arounf 200-240rwkw

Sorry for all the questions, but this is the most knowledge that I have seen in the

one place for a long time.

:( Maxy

behind a half decent rb30DET, i would give the aus series 3 auto prehaps 10minutes of life.

if you want an auto, either jatco (vl, vl-t, series 1&2 r31) and get it rebuilt and strengthened, or get a trimatic and also get it strengthened.

no idea about the later model auto's.