SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

bigmaxy: it would work and be a true straight line monster.. but you're going to have problems with diffs, gearboxes and the like using much of the aussie R31ness.. and I wouldn't want to be cornering in an aussie R31 with 300rwkw or so on tap ! I have both an aussie R31 and R33 turbo, and the handling differences are pretty large.

I would probably just go for a straight swap RB20DET or RB25DET in there. No need to pull apart an engine and should be fine with stock internals for the power you want of around 250rwkw. That way you can just drop it in.

If you're really keen RB31DET is a monster, but in an aussie R31 i wouldn't be bothering unless you wanted a drag car, as it will probably throw you off at the nearest corner.

Hi, I have afew Q's

Awesome post, but a little to long to read on my lunch break

I am interested in performing this transplant into my r32, what is the total cost of the motor + extras

Do you need to perform any custom mods to fit to an r32, mounts, crossmember etc

How much heavier is the rb30/25det than the rb20det, will i need to upgrade suspension brakes, is it heavy enough to upset the handeling?

Hey guys, im running a GT3040 with the .82 AR axhaust.

People keep telling me it's going to be to small on my RB30 and run out up top?

Will I get the 500HP at the engine I want? Or is it going to be too small??

If thats the same as the 2.41/3.22in comp wheel 550hp GT30 on Ray Halls site, then yes, it looks like it'll give you your 500hp at the engine. I would have gone with the 1.06 exh AR too if I as using a GT30. Run it as is and see if its what you want. A exhaust housing swap to 1.06 is relatively cheap if it doesn't work out.

I'd be interested to see how a 1.06 exh AR 600hp GT30 compares with a 0.82 AR exh 620hp GT35. The GT35 is the turbo I'm considering using.

Gradenko.. stay tuned because i have a GT35r with 0.82 exh housing... hopefully it will spool up quickly and hold good torque throw the entire rev range, tho i thought it might be a bit too small to reach high 400 low 500hp@wheels

I have a mate with a GT35/40 on a RB30DET. (.82/AR)

Boosts too quickly, and is impossable to drive in the wet. (without going "gutter-to-gutter" accross a 4 lane freeway)

i would go the 1.06 for drivabiltys sake.

cheers,

trev

Well I have the GT3040 to try.. my manifold has been modded to fit it.

When you say boost to fast? Do you mean it will hit all of a sudden rather than more gradual with a bigger exhaust housing??

I have a T88 33D in the garage... but I think I will like the smaller turbo a little better :P

Laying them next to each other though, the bell mouths are the same size... haha.

yep,

Boost comes on EXTREAMLY sharp, and fast. :P (boost comes on with allmost same response as a supercharger charger, except without the linear boost rate of a charger.)

Gees... T88 33D would be diffrent, provided you have a 8K auto with transbrake and 12" slicks. :(

Well all I can do is wait and see.. and remember my RB30 is in a lighter S13... (i'm scared)

I have driven a T88 Powered GTR, and boost after 5000RPM is just no good unless you want a drag car or similar.. I was some responce. Probably went a bit far.

Not sure yet, will get it weighed when it's actually finished..

Probably not a hell of a lot lighter than a Skyline by the time it's all togethor.

RB30 + Bar and Plate cooler, and all the other turbo parts really add up in weight.

Have got fibreglass front guards and a carbon bonnet for the thing so that should help...

Not sure yet, will get it weighed when it's actually finished..

Probably not a hell of a lot lighter than a Skyline by the time it's all togethor.

RB30 + Bar and Plate cooler, and all the other turbo parts really add up in weight.

Have got fibreglass front guards and a carbon bonnet for the thing so that should help...

Yep, that's what I have found with the 1 X RB engined Silvia I have weighed. The guy wanted to do it 'cause it weighed 250 kgs less than an R32GTST Skyline. Then he added the Skyline engine, front subframe, gearbox, tail shaft, diff, drive shafts, brakes, hubs, rear subframe, wheels, intercooler, oil cooler, radiator etc. Bingo it now weighed the same as an R32 GTST Skyline. It was a total waist of time, money and effort.

Now that's a sample of 1, maybe not representative. Let me know what yours comes in at.

What fuel consumption are you guys getting?

*highway and city.

Who here used second hand rods?.

any probs? esp for the guys with 300rwkw.

I can get tested second hand ones for $25 each, holden want $180 for each complete new rod.

I'd hate to think what nissan would charge. :P

i have been quoted ~$770 i think it was...

Std rods with Lininished, resized, rebushed small ends, arp rod

bolts fitted approx $670, $100 for new bearings

I have also spoken to a friend who said it cost him $250 for a set of 6 rods to get shot peened..

hmm