SAU Community

HKS Cam Gears

I am about to have my timing belt replaced on my gtr. i have a new nismo timing belt and new HKS cam gears (anodised blue and purple) waiting for installation. Before i have this done, and because it is a reasonably sized job at $70/hr, i would like to ask, what is the average life of these HKS cam gears? I have been told that these things only last 15,000-20,000kms, and i should consider another brand such as tomei or os giken because they are made of steel instead of aluminium if i want longer life from the gears. is this true? after changing these gears, what advantages can i expect?

Nah I think this is just old wives tales. Apparentkly HKS gears are made of a lighter (weaker?) grade of alloy than others but it should last the life of the engine.

I'm getting mine done with my timing belt change and maybe a water pump. The hard thing is tuning it - the best you can hope to acheive is 15rwkW? It may make for a fuller mid range though.

Personally I'm going for OS Giken.

T.

If you already have the HKS cam gears fit them in. They are made of aliminium which is a softer metal than steel but you are not gone wear them out in 15k kms with a rubber belt.

It is amazing how these were once the most popular cam gear sets in the market because of their colours, but one person mentions their unreliability at insane rpms and everyone thinks they are shite now.

Emre.

hmmm... thats reasuring. is it true that they would have to go in for more regular checkups for slack in the belt? i think i will take your advice guys. I'll fit them. thanks for all the help so far! rb26, where bouts in brisbane are you? i would like to meet some gtr owners. maybe we could meet up and talk cars one day!