SAU Community

Seat Belts - What Are My Choices?

[mez]

Hey guys,

Took my R32 GTS-t to get an LO1 Mod Plate this afternoon and it turns out I need to replace my seatbelts in order to pass to get the plate.

QLD rules and reg's require approved (ADR) seatbelts to be fitted, replacing the standard nissan ones :D

The vehicle was complied in NSW previously.

What did everyone else do - besides going an buying new ones? Can you get some from wreckers etc?

Thanks in advance.

Yeh seat belts are another issue in QLD. I'm guessing it was a 15 year import, in which case you'll need belts which state on them that they comply with ADRs.

For further reference for anyone in QLD, here's the DOT link to the requirements for all imports:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/...ed_Vehicles.pdf

Went through something similar in VIC...

The JIS (Japan Industrial Standard) tag on the seatbelts is acceptable as ADR Compliant.

get a copy of the seatbelts section. It says something about 'ADR Markings OR EQUIVALENT'.

Of course, this was in vic. And it was a week long arguement. That I won (with the help of the auto engineer who issued the compliance cert giving me this info)

Hope the 'or equivalent' applies in QLD as well as VIC.

Good luck either way.

Oh - and auto engineer said he could do it for $400 (so you have a prive point) - but that it didn't need to be done.

Went through something similar in VIC...

The JIS (Japan Industrial Standard) tag on the seatbelts is acceptable as ADR Compliant.

Nah slightly different circumstances in QLD, as per the link I posted above...

In QLD, for a SEVS vehicle, ADR equivalents may be accepted as per the RAWS online guide.

In QLD, for a 15 year import, it must say it complies with ADRS, or have a letter of compliance from vehicle/seat belt manufacturer stating part numbers.

In QLD, for a personal import, ADR equivalents as per the RAWS online guide can be accepted.

Unfortunately i'm going to have to buy new ones :O

Rang the engineer again and he said I can used belts from another vehicle but must have a signed statutory declaration from the previous owner of the vehicle saying that the vehicle (that i'm to get the seat belts from) has never been in an accident :)

Stupid law differences - its crazy.

' date='13 Feb 2007, 06:39 PM' post='2903315']

Unfortunately i'm going to have to buy new ones :P

Rang the engineer again and he said I can used belts from another vehicle but must have a signed statutory declaration from the previous owner of the vehicle saying that the vehicle (that i'm to get the seat belts from) has never been in an accident :huh:

Stupid law differences - its crazy.

You should actually try and call a business that does the mod plates and that does do alot of imports and find out what seat belts they do use as you can buy Klippan Branded ones but they were quite expsensive if i remeber correcttly few hundred dollars each( but that is what they recommended for r32 eg) which is not right. So maybe you mite be able to match a seat belt up to fit? cause the average price was 70 to 80 dollars for a klippan brand.

Hope this helps.

Well, it's not really a big deal. Everyone who imports a car seems to be hit with little suprises here and there. Espeically with 15 year old imports.

You should have known that you need to replace the belts.

A few hundred bucks is nothing.

Back when I got my r33 complied, compliance was 5k, so you've got quite a bit of money to spend yet before it gets anywhere near being expensive.

Well, it's not really a big deal. Everyone who imports a car seems to be hit with little suprises here and there. Espeically with 15 year old imports.

You should have known that you need to replace the belts.

A few hundred bucks is nothing.

Back when I got my r33 complied, compliance was 5k, so you've got quite a bit of money to spend yet before it gets anywhere near being expensive.

So true....

That's all true. I should've done more homework before I purchased the car, I just assumed that the registration would've been a straight change-over and compliance was the same in all states. But I guess its true what they say: Assumption is the mother of all f**kups! :)

I was told by an engineer that if you want to use belts from another car you need a signed statutory declaration stating that the vehicle (that the belts are coming from) has never been in an accident :P

It never ends.

I'll try scout for some wrecks.