SAU Community

Help, My Gtr Boils When Off!

seeyagtr

Hi Guys,

I have only just rebuilt my rb26 and the bloody thing runs good temps when the engine is on even when the ambinent temps are around 40 degress! but get to my destination, turn the enigne off and with the temp on the PFC at 80-82 degress with in 30 secs it boils!!!

Any Ideas, some one must have had this problems before?

Cheers

Hi Guys,

I have only just rebuilt my rb26 and the bloody thing runs good temps when the engine is on even when the ambinent temps are around 40 degress! but get to my destination, turn the enigne off and with the temp on the PFC at 80-82 degress with in 30 secs it boils!!!

Any Ideas, some one must have had this problems before?

Cheers

are you sure its boiling? temp of 80 degrees shouldn't boil it as my car at least runs this as normal operating temperature,

almost sounds like a gurgling noise or something? most noticable in your radiator overflow bottle? sounds to me like it could be the head gasket, go get a teekay test done at a radiator place - they use a dye that changes colour if they'res exhaust gas in your coolant.

the temps will always go up after you shut the car off as there is still lots of heat in the engine, but the water is no longer cycling through the engine and radiator. in my GTR when driving around temps are constant at between 75 and 80. when I shut it off they go up to 90. drive for 20 seconds or so and they are back down to low 80s and after a few minutes back to normal.

That is why it's so strange, the car temps are good, I am running a thermo on the radiator and now have it hard wired on till the temps drop to 76 degress.

If I hold My hand on the top hose after it turns of, about 30sec after the you can feel the water through the hose bubbling!

At this point the pfc says the car is at 90-94 degress.

Could I have a problem with the cooling to the turbos or something?

90-94 should be fine. the coolant shouldn't actually boil until about 110 as it's under pressure, and made up of demineralized water and glycol mix.

there is most likely a little air still in the system.

I have had a N1 Water pump for the last couple of Years,

The problem only started since the engine was done, but i have had problems with the radiator and trying to get a shroud to fit, Thats why I went to the thermo fan, and now since then I have noticed this problem??

I bled it again last night and flushed heaps of coolant out through the head bled, but it still has not sorted it.

I might try a different radiator shop, the one I went to did not offer any solutions, except to run the thermo longer.

what's your radiator cap like? is it sealing properly on the new radiator?

the job of the radiator cap is to keep a small amount of pressure in the system to raise the boiling point slightly.. maybe yours is a bit tired?

Good point, I only have the old standard one on there, I will have source a nother on tommorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Looking at the car when I got hmoe tonight, the coolant is boiling from the small hose that comes from the turbo's accross the front of the engine!

Could my turbo's be getting to hot !

• 1 year later...

I've got a vl turbo, its always bubbled after switch off, done this for 8 years. Before and after I rebuilt it. Never caused any concern.

And guess what? My R32 GTR does the same. Always has. I just dont let it bother me.

Unless its using water simply ignore it. It's not hot by the guage, there's no problem.