SAU Community

Brake Fluid

400HP

What break fluid should I use in the GTR?

The car will mainly be daily driven with the occasional once every 2-3 month track run?

so far I've been recommended HKS (too pricey for me) and Motul which seens pretty fairly priced.

Guest SadisticRage

Unfortunately quality and cheap dont fit well together when it comes to fluid.

Speaking from experience, the Motul DOT 5.1 wont be good enough for much more than a few laps (2-4) on a circuit and even that is relevant to the quality of other components such as ducts, pads, rotors etc.

Go for a fluid with a very high dry boiling point such as Brembo or ELF....neither are cheap but it beats having the pedal go to the floor at the end of the straight.

I dont know what model GTR you have but if by chance it is a 32 and still has the factory cross drilled discs, GET RID OF THEM.

Motul DOT 5.1 isn't the top spec brake fluid in the Motul range. "RBF 600 Racing Line" with a dry boiling point of 312'c is the highest spec Motul brake fluid.

I tried to find the boiling point rating on both the ELF & Brembo fluids but it doesn't list the info on their respective web sites?

Edit: Motul DOT 5.1 has a dry boiling point of 272'c

Guest SadisticRage

The ELF XT 3198 has dry boiling point of 319'c

I'm unsure on the Brembo stuff but will endeavour to find out.

The guts of it is that NO BRAKE FLUID can be expected to have the life span of a normal road car if it is exposed to track work.

Originally posted by SadisticRage

The guts of it is that NO BRAKE FLUID can be expected to have the life span of a normal road car if it is exposed to track work.

so how many track days can your current fluid see you through, using castrol srf as posted above

Brake fluid should be replaced after every race meeting really! It all depends on how many laps you do and how much heat you put into it.

In the Mini, I run Motul DOT5.1 and RB14 pads (Formula Ford Spec) - with the cars low mass, I don't have a problem with pad fade or fluid boiling etc...

In the WRX I used to run standard fluid and RB74 pads - never had fade with them either, but I never strung more than 4 laps of Sandown or Calder together.

Some people seem to be much harder on brakes and tyres than others, and often it doesn't mean better laptimes. There's more time to be gained from taking correct lines maximising corner speed than braking later and getting a poorer line.

Guest SadisticRage
Originally posted by ONARUN

so how many track days can your current fluid see you through, using castrol srf as posted above

A grand total of one.

At the end of a track day the fluid is almost black and if used again the following weekend would see the pedal drop to the floor within 2 laps.

Admittedly this is due to the GTRs being a little overweight

:lol:. Reality: Skylines are a heavy car!

I use an ATE product. It's blue and boils slightly below the temp SRF does, but cost about half the price.

Bleed them before each track day. Some people say right after as well. I have never had a problem with brake fade but I try not to punish them too much either.

• 8 months later...

Personally I use RBF600 and a Symmons plains the nations best brake test track it helps sqeeze the ebc reds just fine. As i understand the dry boiling point is good, but the wet one is the kicker... it gives an insight into how well the fluid works when dirty.

the DOT number is relative to the base chemical... and its ability to retain moisture. Motul, every bit as good as Castrol SRF... and elf and brembo (rebadged motul)...

Keep on stoppin