SAU Community

Ironmask Or Hr31

Hi Guys,

First post for me.

I am in the process of purchasing an old school skyline to acompany my stealth u13 bluebird attesa.

I have a soft spot for dr30 rs-x turbo and hr31 gts-x.

Problem is dont know which one to go for.

I grew up watching both of these race in touring cars with Glen seton and mark skaife as the drivers.

I want a bit of motorsport history in my garage.

I am guessing that the dr30 rsx may appreciate more in the future.

What do you guys think. Also I would expect the dr30 to be a faster car also.

fj20det also has heaps of potential.

With the r31 ,the gts-r would be the real deal but as they are big bucks now I thought the r31gts-x would be the next

closest thing.

Any info appreciated.

Hi Guys,

First post for me.

I am in the process of purchasing an old school skyline to acompany my stealth u13 bluebird attesa.

I have a soft spot for dr30 rs-x turbo and hr31 gts-x.

Problem is dont know which one to go for.

I grew up watching both of these race in touring cars with Glen seton and mark skaife as the drivers.

I want a bit of motorsport history in my garage.

I am guessing that the dr30 rsx may appreciate more in the future.

What do you guys think. Also I would expect the dr30 to be a faster car also.

fj20det also has heaps of potential.

With the r31 ,the gts-r would be the real deal but as they are big bucks now I thought the r31gts-x would be the next

closest thing.

Any info appreciated.

Owning a DR30 I obviously would recommend one of these. They are certainly more "raw" than a Hr31 and a lot lighter and potentially quicker. They are probably more expensive than an equivalent HR31 though with a good DR30 probably worth around $10k and a HR31 of the same standard around $8k. However a GTS-R would be $15k plus.

The FJ20 is a noisy rattly thing but that is part of the charm. They also have heaps of potential. The one disappointment you will find with a DR is the steering, not that responsive and being a recirculating ball unit they will never have the accuracy of the rack & pinion units of later cars. Parts (interios, panel etc) are also a lot harder to find for a DR although there are no real dramas getting stuff for the FJ20.

Both good cars though and I wouldnt mind a GTS-R to park next to my DR30.

cheers

What was wrong with George Fury?

An HR31 will be cheaper than a DR30. Arguably a DR will have more motorsport cred than an R31 GTS-X (The R being the homologation model).

Not sure a DR30 would be quicker than an R31. In any case the later model has a slightly better suspension. If you remember the DR30's (Remember Seton at Bathurst in '87? Scary stuff.) they were pretty wild things to drive. Also an RB will have more parts availability & be more easilly modified than an FJ.

At the end of the day choosing between these two cars will depend on which you really want. Objectively you probably wouldn't buy either and go with a 32 or a 33 like everyone else. It will probably come down to being able to find a nice example of either.

Just adding to my original post.

Do any of you guys have access to the exact number of cars produced by nissan for certain models.

eg: DR30 RSX turbo and rsx turbo c how many were produced.

and HR31 GTS-X how many were produced.

We all know that 800 R31 GTS-R were made but I would like to know how many were made of other models.

I would even like to know the exact number of U13 BLUEBIRD 4WD TURBO'S IN MANUAL were made.

I have surfed the net but cant find any reliable links.

It would just be nice to know which car is more rare and therefore potential resale value.

As for my potential purchase DR30 is in front at the moment but would have to be late model and

in good condition. Then I have to decide whether to keep it stock or modify.

I would suggest a dr30 rsx turbo in original condtion may appreciate in value.

What do you guys think.

no matter what you get, re-sale value is almost negligible with such old cars, the only real buyers are crazy enthiusuasts like us!

FJ20det for rareness/animal power

RB20det for smoothness/ease of aftermarket parts & respectable power

Your U13 5speed on the other hand, well that is something special.

There is a forum I am regularly on www.antrx.com mostly Pintara TRX drivers (they have a KA24e)and Bluebirds (Aus spec- KA24de--Twincam version of the KA24...basically a front wheel drive 240sx/navara)

There is a strong following of Atessa fans on there, especially for the even rarer U12 Bluebird atessa, which also came out with a CA18DET aswell as the SR20de(t)

U13 atessas come up for sale around $9000 to $11000 depending if its thrashed or not. (and mods etc)

some have GTIR front cuts (quad throttles & top mount etc)

but im sure you will find plenty of info there.

i've driven both the HR31 and HR30 with silver top rb20dets and found the HR30 to be the better car, not as feature packed as the DR or HR31 which is a plus for a performance based option, the FJ20det makes for a very different drive what with different power delivery..

in stock form the DR30 is the winner, more power in a lighter car. both interiors are of the same era, HR31 has better seats...

iron mask DR30 is the one to buy......

I would say DR30, but then again I'm biased... :happy:

Having driven my mate's HR31 coupe it feels more modern and vastly more refined but at the end of the day it's missing the 'fierceness' and rough edge that makes the DR30 such a fun car to drive as others have already mentioned. From a collectability point of view however both cars are just as awesome as each other, and see my comment below on resale/investment value.

Just out of interest how common are DR30s/HR31s (coupes, mainly) over in Oz? Here in NZ the DR30s are very thin on the ground (I can count the number of known examples on one hand) and HR31s more common but still quite rare, you'd be lucky to see one maybe every couple of months.

As for resale, I find that there are many people who want to buy DR30s/HR31s but don't have the means to do so. I came close to parting with my DR coupe for NZ$18k, but the prospective buyer couldn't arrange finance so the deal fell through. Looking back I'm glad the sale didn't go ahead because the amount of interest for 'oldschool cars' in general has skyrocketed since then - to the point that owning something like a tidy DR30/HR31 or other older model Nissan sports car can almost be considered an investment.

Plus I'm no longer interested in selling anyway, so would probably be kicking myself to this very moment had I done so!

U13 Attesa turbo, eh? I see you're a fan of the subtle approach also :D Another friend of mine has owned several SR20DET powered U12/U13s - he used to have fun in his younger days wiping smiles off the faces of Evo/WRX/[insert make and model of quick turbocar here] drivers...

Looks like there is a lot of DR30 fans out there.

As for ORION, 18k is a great price for a dr30.

Then again not sure what exchange rate is. I think aus dollar is very close to NZ.

I think in AUS they fetch between 8 to 10 grand.

Although there are quite a few r31 coupes in aus ,they are still a rare car and you would not come

across one very often. As for dr30 coupes even more rare in aus.

I probably only seen a few here in Victoria.

As for the u13 bluebird, its a real stealth car and will stay in my family for ever.

In mildly modified condition the sr20det really rips and with 4wd grip really pisses off xr6 turbo's.

99% of the people out there have no clue what it is. Even the cops are completely oblivious.

Anyway still deciding on dr30 or r31.

The one that is in best condition may win out but I really love the look of the dr30 rsx turbo.

Every time i see one I think of glen seton.

I take on board what some of you guys are saying about ease of parts for r31 compared to dr30.

Decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like there is a lot of DR30 fans out there.

As for ORION, 18k is a great price for a dr30.

Then again not sure what exchange rate is. I think aus dollar is very close to NZ.

I think in AUS they fetch between 8 to 10 grand.

Although there are quite a few r31 coupes in aus ,they are still a rare car and you would not come

across one very often. As for dr30 coupes even more rare in aus.

I probably only seen a few here in Victoria.

As for the u13 bluebird, its a real stealth car and will stay in my family for ever.

In mildly modified condition the sr20det really rips and with 4wd grip really pisses off xr6 turbo's.

99% of the people out there have no clue what it is. Even the cops are completely oblivious.

Anyway still deciding on dr30 or r31.

The one that is in best condition may win out but I really love the look of the dr30 rsx turbo.

Every time i see one I think of glen seton.

I take on board what some of you guys are saying about ease of parts for r31 compared to dr30.

Decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!!!

I reckon you couldnt get a good one in Oz for under 10 grand unless there was a desperate seller. I havent seen a really good one (except mine :) ) or a bad one that matter for a long time. With the resurgence of interest in historic group A racing in this country I can only see the values go up as younger fans appreciate the cars as well as us older folk who remember seeing them in their heyday. I reckon this also applies to Starions, 635 CSI Bimmers etc.

As I sit here typing this at work I can see my nice framed picture of Glenn Seton/George Fury at Bathurst in 1986. I took some photos of DR's at the muscle car masters last year.

2720748650041313032SkBtJW_th.jpg

2905588720041313032vNtnQj_th.jpg

2919532250041313032OlUHGx_th.jpg

2085399340041313032syejYS_th.jpg

2542228620041313032pkLfja_th.jpg

2066793340041313032BkbcSX_th.jpg

2740319130041313032JRuLXp_th.jpg

and one of my car for good measure...

2021060860041313032HIikWS_th.jpg

As for buying one the only DR30 I have seen for sale in a long time is this non iron mask one in Qld

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...matchallpartial

Nice looking dr30 Ravenoak.

Have you kept it stock.

I agree with you that dr30 skylines have some motorsport kred

and may increase in value.

Out of interest have you ever had any people in the back seat and if so

how did they find it.

I have a 6 and 9 year old who go to all the car events with me so when I get a dr30

I would like to take them along with me.

Only ever seen 2 up close and never worried about the rear room.

Too busy looking at the fj20det.

Also do you know exactly what part of 1984 that the rsx turbo came with factory intercooler.

I think it was called rsx turbo c.

Thanks

how did they find it.

I have a 6 and 9 year old who go to all the car events with me so when I get a dr30

Also do you know exactly what part of 1984 that the rsx turbo came with factory intercooler.

Thanks

There's a surprising amount of backseat room in an R30 coupe as opposed to something like a R32. Even an R31 coupe has less space.

Headroom is limited as you can imagine, but a couple of my mates are 6 foot and have been comfortable enough sitting in the back of my DR - however I wouldn't recommend squeezing more than two adult sized people in there.

The RS-X turbo C came out in Feb 1984.

Here's my DR30 coupe:

more-DR30-07-800.jpg

Edited by 0R10N

Have you kept it stock.

how did they find it.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment,,BTW Orion's DR looks awesome as well.

Stock except for a catback exhaust, the Volk GTP's and Alpine/Clarion system (I also have some other audio gear I might put in it later). It also has Adjustable Bilstein suspension and cusco adjustable strut tops although it is on full height etc at the moment. I have been slowly bringing things back to original condition (interior mainly) and sorting out the little problems old cars have. My big challenge at the moment is to find matching front seats as I have a RS-X passenger (red/black) and RS drivers (pure red) seat.

As for space I regularly have my 4 & 5 year old kids in the car in their booster seats and there are no problems with space. The boot is also suprisingly roomy and mine has the split fold rear so it is very practical. The kids love the car and constantly want to go in it in preference to my Audi which is my daily driver.

cheers

Thanks for the compliment,,BTW Orion's DR looks awesome as well.

Stock except for a catback exhaust, the Volk GTP's and Alpine/Clarion system (I also have some other audio gear I might put in it later). It also has Adjustable Bilstein suspension and cusco adjustable strut tops although it is on full height etc at the moment. I have been slowly bringing things back to original condition (interior mainly) and sorting out the little problems old cars have. My big challenge at the moment is to find matching front seats as I have a RS-X passenger (red/black) and RS drivers (pure red) seat.

As for space I regularly have my 4 & 5 year old kids in the car in their booster seats and there are no problems with space. The boot is also suprisingly roomy and mine has the split fold rear so it is very practical. The kids love the car and constantly want to go in it in preference to my Audi which is my daily driver.

cheers

I also used to have a Paul Newman HR30 which Zeb now owns and I think is currently selling.

72826422boBDQT_th.jpg

72826690FwwxNd_th.jpg

do the DR's have the same kind of rear bucket seats as the HRs' ???

i added an aus spec mr30 front seat to mine which seemed to give a lower driving positon than the factory jap seats..

do the DR's have the same kind of rear bucket seats as the HRs' ???

i added an aus spec mr30 front seat to mine which seemed to give a lower driving positon than the factory jap seats..

These are the rear seats in the DR (RS spec).

2773048080041313032tVtKuj_th.jpg

Have you kept it stock.

how did they find it.

Thanks

Like that other fellas have said, i've had a full car load (4 people) of adults in the car and everyone was comfy as, they're really roomy inside for a 2 door, more roomy then my mates 33...

Get the DR30, i've driven my mates brothers R31 import and i was completly unimpressed with the rb's go, or lack there of! Turned me off of getting a 31 completly!

I am just about convinced.

Unless a nice clean low km example of a hr31 comes along I will be gowing

for the dr30 rs-x turbo. They also have more appeal for some reason.

Orion's dr30 is a great example also. My first prefernce was a solid colour example

but the two tone I have to admit also looks great. I have also seen silver on black

and that looks hot also.

I know parts will be harder to find but this will not be my every day car so if it has to

sit in the garage while I source parts well so be it.

Does anyone out there know how many dr30 rs-x turbo's were produced by nissan.