SAU Community

Metal Shavings Near Cas And Cam Gear (rhs)

84ace

hey all can you tell me whats most likely to produce metal shavings from around the cas/cam gear area on the right hand side when the car is running? am i looking at a wrecked bearing or something wrong with cas? car makes a funny bearing knock and whine that is coming from under the cas somewhere, not actually in the motor but (phew)

cheers Acea

Edited by 84ace

Dont start it again!!

Im betting youve taken the timing cover off and have exposed cam gears?

The shavings are from the nose of the exhaust cam grinding into the back of the CAS. Akin to putting the CAS on a lathe

This happens because the clearance that the timing cover provided has been taken away. Now theres no room for both to spin in harmony

You need a spacer plate cut from some alloy or something, or just put the timing cover back on

The pin from the CAS with the half-moon end might have snapped off already, plus the heat that is generated when the shavings go everywhere, means the CAS might not have much life left unless you dont start the engine again!

shit hey.

i'd say that's what it is, we do have the timing covers off. i hadn't even considered that the cas bolts onto the top timing cover, which is Xmm thick.

what are the chances anything important is shagged? i've got a spare cas if that's the only thing that's likely to have been shot. the half-moon lug thingo inside the cas shaft is still intact on the one still in the car.

thanks for the replies fellas

nah rubbing wont make metal shavings....that tends to make a hole in things

The action has to be high speed, like the engine rotating....which im sure its the problem described above :(