SAU Community

fuel warning light

hey all,

can someone please tell me if the fuel warning light is supposed to come on when the ignition is first turned on. My fuel gauge is almost on empty, no warning light yet? Thinking the light may be blown or maybe i have a few liters to burn still.

mine doesnt come on til i hit the E. How much fuel u have left to play with after that i dont know - i try and fill up asap once the light comes on.

Well I am well below E now after 450kms and still no light. I am trusting that it will come on soon, otherwise I will be getting my monies worth from the NRMA.

Running out of fuel in a fuel injected car is bad for the injectors, right? My gauge reads empty and to fill it up takes 45 litres... So I think my gague is a bit out. But I've never seen a fuel warning light come on.

Guest RedLineGTR

skylines take about 60 or so litres, if i'm wrong please correct me. gauge might be abit dodgy, depends if the cars on a flat surface. But with cars with injectors, your should still have fuel left in the tank so all that crud dosent get sucked up, those there is still a filter near the engine and fuel pump abit always gets through.

RedLineGTR - Yeah, so I hear. The car is consistantly flat when I fill it up. Anyway, I don't care. If the gauge says I should add more fuel after only 45 litres and the tank is 60ish litres, then I won't be running out of fuel :P

Originally posted by skyzerr33

mine gives a quick flash at 15litres left

then stays on solid with 10 litres left.

Thats correct !

You will know when you are getting really low (ie less than 5L's) coz the car will chug alittle harder when trying to start the engine after turning the key.

How many of you have changed your fuel filters in the last 6mths? Its a 15min job and costs less than $15 and you would be totally amazed at the gunk an old fuel filter will be full of.

when i first got my car - typical car dealership had no fuel in it - took it immediately to the service station to get fuel - cos i test drove it about 5 days beforehand and it was on empty then - it ate up $60 worth when i decided that was enough!! so at about 96 cents a litre im guessing that the tanks are about 65 litres?

My skyline has a little trouble responding to the ol' shake'n'click filling technique, compared to all my old cars where I could normally squeeze in a couple of extra litres... Perhaps because I can't shake the skyline and anything more than a stiff breeze would shake up the other cars like a roller coaster...

Is it really that bad to fill a car past the point of clicking?