SAU Community

Some Of My Fabrication Work!

rasoo

Heya guys, I'm new around here but have been on PGA for a few years and recently as the Tech section moderator. I am in the process of getting an R34 and going into the Skyline world.

I saw this section and thought I would chuck up some pics of what I do on my weekends for extra cash!

I turbocharged my N/A N16 from scratch ( I did everything except tune it):

Manifold:

th_P1000235.jpg

th_P1000234.jpg

th_P1000233.jpg

Dump pipe:

th_P1000412.jpg

th_P1000414.jpg

Exhaust:

th_P1000473.jpg

th_P1000474.jpg

Catch can:

th_P1010738.jpg

th_P1010737.jpg

Completed engine bay with 3" air intake, custom BOV etc:

th_P1010742.jpg

th_P1010741.jpg

Here's a GT Starlet I recently did (Pipework, not the bodykit! :) )

th_P1010735.jpg

th_P1010733.jpg

th_P1010732.jpg

th_P1010731.jpg

th_P1010730.jpg

th_P1010729.jpg

th_P1010728.jpg

th_P1010727.jpg

I have done many other cars and miscellaneous bits'n'pieces, but these are a few I have pics of.

Hope you enjoy and I look forward to chatting some.

I have been doing the work that you see for only the last 2 years. I had only really been MIG welding before 1.5yrs ago....then I taught myself to TIG weld and never looked back.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hey mate i need some i/c pipein done how much can u do it 4 if ur in logan,kingston thats where my car is at the moment?

what he said ^^ i got an rb20 in my bmw need some pipework.. pm me :)

• 1 month later...

Buddy in in crestmead and im looking for someone to do some fab work... if ur interested PM me!

Need I/C pipinf re-done, plenum, dump pipe, manifold and screamer pipe.

Sorry guys I haven't been on of late, been rather busy!

I am busy up until Jamboree, I could look at doing something for you guys after that. PM me and we can tee up some times to see what needs doing.

Rob.

• 5 weeks later...
awesome work man

very impressed

btw jsut out of curiosity

was all the piping purge welded?

Nah mate, I haven't got all the right pipe bungs at the moment, but the inside bead is still tidy and not much bubbling. I use quite low current to help avoid that, but keeping the weld deep enough to be strong.

Nah mate, I haven't got all the right pipe bungs at the moment, but the inside bead is still tidy and not much bubbling. I use quite low current to help avoid that, but keeping the weld deep enough to be strong.

Do you have a spare length of air line and a Y piece?

If you do, connect the Y piece to the regulator, and run your air line to the welder as normal. Then connect your spare air line to the other branch of the Y piece. Hopefully you'll have a couple of used cut-off/grinding wheels lying round, drill the center out of one so the end of your spare air line fits snugly inside and then seal it with some electrical tape. You can then use masking tape (doesn't leave so much sticky mess) to fix the wheel to one end of the pipe your purging, making sure you get a reasonable seal. Then do the same with another spare wheel at the other end of the pipe, using the masking tape to seal up the hole in the wheel also, but poke a couple of hole through the tape with the end of your welding wire, this means you get a little bit off flow in the gas which dissapates any oxygen, and evacuates the heated gas.

The only downside with using a Y piece is you might loose a bit of flow/pressure to the welder, so just ramp up the flow on the regulator a little. The best way of course, is to use a twin regulator (which you might already be doing).

And if you knew all that already, my bad and no offence intended, but someone else might not know...

lol! I did actually know all that, but its useful information of course to anyone who doesn't know what purge welding is.

No offense taken at all! :thumbsup:

Do you have a spare length of air line and a Y piece?

If you do, connect the Y piece to the regulator, and run your air line to the welder as normal. Then connect your spare air line to the other branch of the Y piece. Hopefully you'll have a couple of used cut-off/grinding wheels lying round, drill the center out of one so the end of your spare air line fits snugly inside and then seal it with some electrical tape. You can then use masking tape (doesn't leave so much sticky mess) to fix the wheel to one end of the pipe your purging, making sure you get a reasonable seal. Then do the same with another spare wheel at the other end of the pipe, using the masking tape to seal up the hole in the wheel also, but poke a couple of hole through the tape with the end of your welding wire, this means you get a little bit off flow in the gas which dissapates any oxygen, and evacuates the heated gas.

The only downside with using a Y piece is you might loose a bit of flow/pressure to the welder, so just ramp up the flow on the regulator a little. The best way of course, is to use a twin regulator (which you might already be doing).

And if you knew all that already, my bad and no offence intended, but someone else might not know...