SAU Community

Time for a rebuild

whatsisname

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later, yep the whatsisname mobile is in for a rebuild. Forgies, o'ring the block, 8.0:1 comp ratio & all the other bits that a rebuild entails.

As per most RB25DET failures there was zero power loss, nil detonation detected (probably inaudible whilst givin it heaps?) Basically all was going well until a morning drive to RPM (for minor power making tweaks :rolleyes:) & I noticed blue/white smoke as if I was driving a clapped out worn rings Astron powered Sigma ;)

A comp' test/leak down test will follow shortly, to confirm which cylinder/s, as per usual.

It goes without saying that I won't be running at the drag day :D In fact I'd go so far as to say that once fixed the car will be sold not long after. That's the way things go when a wife has had enough.

Shit happens :)

Edit: As the car will be going I'll probably wind back on forum involvement (not much fun when I don't have a decent car) so someone else might like to take over as forum moderator (& join Joel).

Cheers all,

Matt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hip,

Take one RB25DET with a few kays on it (I doubt the odo is legit - 57k). Wind up the wick, without doing internal mod's. And it's only a matter of time before something lets go (usually ring lands in the RB25DET). ~3yrs with 200+rwkw (~15000k) isn't too bad considering the recent power & drag strip potential.

No I didn't drive it much. I looked after it bloody well (ALL oils/filters changed every 2k or so!) Those who've seen my car would probably agree it has been well well looked after. But it doesn't make the engine any less likely to fail if asked to do too much.

Under NO circumstances will my car have parts removed for sale! It goes as a complete car or not at all!

Well they are. It just depends on how long you want it to last :P

My next car will be another Skyline (R33-R34 GT-R) or a MKIV Supra TT. Won't be for a looong time though. House & investments first, then comes the next expensive car.

Sad to hear it Matt .... that's a horrible 'end' to one beautiful car! Hope this doesn't really end your involvement with SAU, as you are only too well aware its not so much about the car you drive, but rather your attitude toward having fun the counts!

Thanks Andy :D

Naaa mate my involvement won't totally cease, it's just that in order for me to enjoy myself "I" would NEED to have a decent car. I'll go nuts if I see all these awesome cars around me & I no longer have one myself :P

I can see myself getting new bodyboarding gear (a few new boards & wetties) & a return to my other great passion. For a while anyway.

I'll still aim for a quick 1/4 time upon the cars return. Once that's achieved it'll probably be up for sale.

Shit mate soory to hear bout the probs:mad: Your allways welcome to be passanger with me, I know its not the same but its a start.

I'm sad to hear it as well. You are one of the guys that encouraged me to join the forum in the first place! I will also be dissappointed for you when you do sell the car - but I understand

that family & responsibilities have to come before cars.

We will miss you so dont be to much of a stranger OK.

Thanks heaps guys :P

MattR,

I'll certainly take up that offer of passenger down the track mate.

TIMMMAYYY,

Well the way I see it, it has to be rebuilt anyway. I'm not keen to "flog" it off with a dud motor. So if it has to have a rebuild, it makes sense to do it properly. That way the new owner can see I've looked after the car in ALL areas. The difference btw a standard parts rebuild vs. upgraded aftermarket parts isn't a huge amount anyway. I'll still have the car for a few months after it's done so I'd like to enjoy it during that time too.

Maybe I'm a dying breed? But I'd rather have the car running to full 100% potential when I sell it. That way the price I sell it for is justified. You can buy GTS25t's for very cheap these days, including seriously modified examples. I'd like to get a decent price for mine considering the level of modifications carried out, the excellent condition & how many small custom details I've done to it.

Well I could just get it running again, but I "may" end up keeping it? It's a very slim chance but you never know? Then it'll have been a waste of a good chance to get it done right!

I don't care how much someone wants to TRY & buy it for, I'm in no hurry to sell it :) I'm not gunna' just go, "yeah ok sure you can have it for 20k". If it takes 6-12mths till the right buyer comes along, so be it. If the right buyer never comes along.... oh damn, guess I'll have to keep it :)

Sorry to hear Matt, horrible thing to happen to such an awesome car....and bloke for that matter :uh-huh:

It's a pity it won't be running at the drag day, so much potential. Are you still gonna come along for a look??

Cheers

Mat

Thanks Matt. Yeah mate I'll be there to watch you guys have all the fun :D

Do you remember that ANZAC day cruise Matt? I'll bet that's when she let go. It wasn't until yesterday that any symptoms showed up! I'd driven it quite a few times since that day with zero indication of any problems.

Ahh well, at least I'll get a chance to see how the car performs before it goes to a new owner. Sometime in Jul/Aug lookout for me at a street meet. Fresh motor, built to handle 18psi & aiming for 11's ;)