SAU Community

R200 Long Nose Diffs.

skybt1

I know these diffs are not exactly easy to find and to find with input shafts its sometimes even harder, well thats

in my experience anyway.

Does anyone know of what input shafts can be used? say off the short nose r200's found on newer nissans?

The diffs look exactly the same from the back and im pretty sure the gaskets are the same with same bolt

patterns. Nissan dont change much when they're on a good thing.

Im also guessing that the centres are interchangeable also?

Anyone got any ideas?

I know these diffs are not exactly easy to find and to find with input shafts its sometimes even harder, well thats in my experience anyway.

OK, by "input shafts" I assume that you mean the half shafts (ie. from the differential to the rear wheels)? Australian Z31 300ZX had the longnose R200 diff in them. If I were you, I would call your local wrecker. Also, places that get in half cuts and so on tend to get them from time to time. Another good potential source is Baz at Datsport (www.datsport.com).

Does anyone know of what input shafts can be used? say off the short nose r200's found on newer nissans?

The diffs look exactly the same from the back and im pretty sure the gaskets are the same with same bolt

patterns. Nissan dont change much when they're on a good thing.

Im also guessing that the centres are interchangeable also?

The long nose diff's shafts used a spline on the diff side and a flange on the wheel side. The short nose R200 went back to a flange on the diff side, and used a spline on the wheel side. I have heard of people doing funky things with flange-to-flange shafts, but I have never seen it.

The diff rear covers are interchangeable between the long nose and the short nose, yes.

Yes, the centres are interchangeable, to a point. I put a big post up on ozdat about R200 centre interchangeability. This one. That whole thread is probably a good read.

Where can i get bullet proof cv shafts made up? i've had three sets made up, the first two broke, and now

this third set seems to be holding up but i wanna push more power and its one area of the car im not the happiest

with.

Yes, the centres are interchangeable, to a point. I put a big post up on ozdat about R200 centre interchangeability. This one. That whole thread is probably a good read.

This was a good read by the way..

Where can i get bullet proof cv shafts made up? i've had three sets made up, the first two broke, and now

this third set seems to be holding up but i wanna push more power and its one area of the car im not the happiest

with.

OK, you say that you have had some made up? What were they based on? What car is this going in to? What horsepower are you pushing out? What is the car being used for? A bit of background on your setup may help.

The strongest shafts for this diff are out of a Z31 300ZX Turbo. The "normal" ones (300ZX, DR30, HR31) use a 6 bolt (3 groups of 2) companion flange (where they attach to the rear wheel stub axles). The Z31 turbo uses a 4 bolt setup, kinda like the older Datsun companion flanges. The difference is that the "normal" shafts use a tripod (looks like a "Y") at the wheel side, which has 3 roller bearings on it, and these fit into a cup. The "Y" is attached to the shaft by a spline,and this is where they fail (if they fail, the tripod usually breaks). The Z31 turbo shafts do not use a tripod, but a large high-angularity bearing which the spline slides into.

Remember, if you manage to track some down (they are uber rare), you will need the companion flanges as well...

OK, you say that you have had some made up? What were they based on? What car is this going in to? What horsepower are you pushing out? What is the car being used for? A bit of background on your setup may help.

The strongest shafts for this diff are out of a Z31 300ZX Turbo. The "normal" ones (300ZX, DR30, HR31) use a 6 bolt (3 groups of 2) companion flange (where they attach to the rear wheel stub axles). The Z31 turbo uses a 4 bolt setup, kinda like the older Datsun companion flanges. The difference is that the "normal" shafts use a tripod (looks like a "Y") at the wheel side, which has 3 roller bearings on it, and these fit into a cup. The "Y" is attached to the shaft by a spline,and this is where they fail (if they fail, the tripod usually breaks). The Z31 turbo shafts do not use a tripod, but a large high-angularity bearing which the spline slides into.

Remember, if you manage to track some down (they are uber rare), you will need the companion flanges as well...

ok, the car is an mr30. when i bought my diff, it came with the shafts that go into the diff but the bits that bolt up to the wheels

had been cut off, so i took them to a cv shaft guy and he made me up some shafts. At the moment im only powering at

250rwhp but im lookin at around the 500rwhp mark, mainly using it for straight line dragging but will be lookin into track work

in the future.

sounds like im gonna need something stronger, z31 seems the way to go, IF i can find some..

im happy to do some sort of custom installation or make parts up if they will be stronger..

this is the diff i have

http://www.datsport.com/R200_diff.html

I didnt buy it from this guy i got it from a guy in ringwood, i know it says that it came out of a nissan

limo, but is this the only car it came out in? Im interested in more history behind it, also if i made the

right choice in r200.

this is the diff i have

http://www.datsport.com/R200_diff.html

I didnt buy it from this guy i got it from a guy in ringwood, i know it says that it came out of a nissan

limo, but is this the only car it came out in? Im interested in more history behind it, also if i made the

right choice in r200.

Notice that this one is a VLSD. That is - "Viscous Limited Slip Differential". They use different output shafts to the open or plate LSDs. You really need to have shafts built for a combination of "modern" R200 output flanges and "old" wheel companion flanges.

Go to the Ozdat site and send a PM to "Baz". He is the man behind Datsport. He will know all in relation to this diff.

What is the difference between vlsd and clsd??

whats an open whats a plate lsd?

If i changed the centre wouldnt it be whatever i wanted to be? ie the diff housings are all the same??

i don't know too much about them.

Edited by skybt1

• 1 month later...

Yes DR half shafts are a problem in drag apps with high torque and sticky tyres . They tend to brake through the CV's circlip grove in the shaft itself and custom ones of the same dimensions can do the same thing . It may be worth looking into what the Z32 300ZX turbo used for shafts though I think the diff itself was an R230 .

Cheers A .

Im guessin the R230 is not a long nose? Seems as though the only strengthening option is Z31 half shafts. OR

getting everything in the rear custom made and all fabricated to suit the power. But that would just be a waste of money.