SAU Community

Problems With My R32

samurai_r32

:D Hey guys, since buying the R32 gts-t about a month now i seem to be encountering a few problems.

#1 seem to crank the car more than once to get it to turn over,if i crank it once and give it a lil foot on the

gas it will start fine. If i don't give it a foot it will shake and jerk then stalk without the engine even starting

up yet. When i hear the sound & running of the fan thats what im refering to when i say engine not starting up

yet.

#2 The car seem to run good every so often,but when it stalls on you like this it gives u the shits.It will stall at

red lights, stalls while the turbo timer is running even stalks sometimes when im driving. Most of the times i

feel it in my gear down shifting,gears doesn't feel like its been down shifted and when i come to a stop then

looking at my rpm its reading way over the 1000rpm mark, then splat the car stalls. The revs will go pass

1000rpm then drop down and stalk. Down shifting gears is suppose to feel like the car is slowing down and

u can hear the engine doing that, When the revs is high and im down shifting i don't hear that, come to idle

at red light if revs over 1000rpm it will drop then stall.

#3 Why is my car jerking alot now . The car seem to jerk alot when i give it. I ease off the gas and try again it will

jerk. Jerk violently sometimes. The other night i wanted to give it so i down shift to 4th the car didn't go

nowhere,the revs didn't move.So i couldnt even down shift to see how the car would go.Felt like

some kind of blockage. Could it be something to do with the sparkies i just put in. I've read about how you

suppose to regap them,but not to sure if it is the sparkies.

Yeh sorry guys for blabing on,i apologies but i do need some help . If anyone could help out that would be

great.thankz guys

#1 is a common problem. A lot of R32 owners have the same cold start problem (including my self)

Clean your aac valve to see if this fixes your idling rpm.

Also do you have a blow-off value? Have heard this causes issues on idling too.

yeh thankz guys for all your advices and help. Going to borrow a mates afm and see how she goes from there.I've yet check the acc valve but will check that out also. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. Much appreciated guys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

1 - it seems that most 32's have the same cold start issue. mine included, you learn to live with it after a while. cleaning the aac valve and iac valve helps

2 - like others have said it's probably the afm dying. if you have an atmo bov that could be causing the problem too. get a std bov and see if that fixes it

3 - could be your afm again, could be your coilpacks. is it misfiring (exhaust making popcorn noises)? whats your spark plug gap? it could be an air leak. Check your intercooler and turbo piping for any leaks, make sure the hose clamps are tight and the pipes/hoses firmly seated.

My car used to jerk + misfire etc on boost but drove around fine off boost, turned out to be the tiniest air leak from a slightly loose hose clamp that grew on boost but sealed off boost.

the revving over 1000rpm then stalling could be because the motor is opening the aac valve and raising the revs trying to compensate for air being lost somewhere but cant get enough so it stalls.

When its jerking is there alot of black smoke coming out of the exhaust?

the engine manual says idle should be set at 650rpm, but mines at around 800-900rpm.

apart from using more petrol at idle i dont see there being any problem with that

Edited by r32woohoo

1 - it seems that most 32's have the same cold start issue. mine included, you learn to live with it after a while. cleaning the aac valve and iac valve helps

2 - like others have said it's probably the afm dying. if you have an atmo bov that could be causing the problem too. get a std bov and see if that fixes it

3 - could be your afm again, could be your coilpacks. is it misfiring (exhaust making popcorn noises)? whats your spark plug gap? it could be an air leak. Check your intercooler and turbo piping for any leaks, make sure the hose clamps are tight and the pipes/hoses firmly seated.

My car used to jerk + misfire etc on boost but drove around fine off boost, turned out to be the tiniest air leak from a slightly loose hose clamp that grew on boost but sealed off boost.

the revving over 1000rpm then stalling could be because the motor is opening the aac valve and raising the revs trying to compensate for air being lost somewhere but cant get enough so it stalls.

When its jerking is there alot of black smoke coming out of the exhaust?

the engine manual says idle should be set at 650rpm, but mines at around 800-900rpm.

apart from using more petrol at idle i dont see there being any problem with that

Yeah I think the jerking is some sort of boost issue. What boost is running? Also it could be a leak of one of the hoses etc as R32woohoo said or it could be a blocked wastegate etc.

Bottom line: that jerk indicates that the ECU is cutting boost in what it believes to be an emergency situation where the boost is climbing too rapidly for what the stock ECU thinks is installed in the car and is likely to blow a head gasket if it continues.

And if you're not overboosting then I think the ECU thinks you are/there is a flow problem that could be potentially major if it wasn;t cut off. Don't drive around with it continuing to do that, cutting off boost so immediately that the entire vehicle jerks violently CANNOT be good for your cars internals (just better than the alternative to the ECU).

Theres no such thing as boost cut. the ecu has no control over boost whatsoever.

If its an air leak it jerks because the air that was supposed to go into the cylinder for combustion has leaked out and the fuel cant ignite.

ie: the injectors are squirting but theres no air to burn it