SAU Community

New Fixed Speed Cameras

Seems we are getting some new fixed speed cameras in the ACT ~YAY~!!

i'm sure they will be marked etc, but just thought I'd make you all aware if you didnt know already... and WTF to the ones in the road?? never heard of them before!!

For the first time, permanent speed cameras will be placed on stretches of the city's main highways. The Federal, Barton and Monaro highways will be targeted, along with the Tuggeranong Parkway.

The "super-cameras", which cost up to $250,000 each, will be concealed under the road or in cabinets by the roadside.

There are currently 11 fixed speed cameras in the ACT. That will increase to 19 in July.

Eight extra fixed cameras will be installed. Two will be red light/speed cameras at intersections, and six will be speed-only cameras located along highways. Some of these will be permanent underground cameras, known as "loop detector" cameras, which are embedded in the road's surface.

Others will be semi-permanent radar cameras operating from stand-alone roadside cabinets.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.as...ategory=General

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without having read that article to know if the list of new locations is in it, we had the list sent around at work today, I'll post it up tomorrow.

* Federal highway, southbound, approaching Antill St roundabout.

* Federal Highway, northbound, approaching Antill St roundabout.

* Tuggeranong Parkway, both directions, near Cotter Road overpass.

* Tuggeranong Parkway, both directions, near Hindmarsh drive overpass.

* Barton Highway, both directions, between Curran Drive and Gold Creek Road.

* Barton Highway, both directions, between Gungahlin Drive and Ellenborough Street.

* Monaro Highway, both directions, near Hindmarsh drive overpass.

* Monaro Highway, northbound, between Lanyon Drive and Sheppard Street.

* Monaro Highway, southbound, between Mugga Lane and Isabella Drive.

Also, how the f**k are we gonna see these underground things? im scared...

If you look at the roads theyre all 100 zones, an im also pretty sure that by loop detector it means it will snap you at the 1st one and if you are under the time it takes to recah the second one at the speed limit (ie: youve sped) itll snap you again and youll get a fine. They have some in vic like this.

If you look at the roads theyre all 100 zones, an im also pretty sure that by loop detector it means it will snap you at the 1st one and if you are under the time it takes to recah the second one at the speed limit (ie: youve sped) itll snap you again and youll get a fine. They have some in vic like this.

I like the sounds of that, seems very easy to dispute in court :) my lawyer will have a field day, screwing the government FTW

(please note this is not a written threat towards the government and in no way an act of terrorism)

hey guys im new to the SAU, just wondering if anyone knows if they have the camera that watches the camera like they do on the road to queanbeyan. If not I may pay some night time visists to the ones on the Monaro with some spray paint and the like.

PS im looking for a R33 GTST for about 15k if anyone knows of one

LOL nah, nice offer tho, looking for something around the 200kw@rw and then go from there. I need something faster then a 2006 HSV Malloo

Around a race track, no worries.

OK. I too was freaked out when I heard about a so called 'super' camera so I thought I would go directly to the horses mouth - ACT Department of Territory and Municipal Services.

I spoke to a guy in the camera infringement division to get the official position. Firstly new legislation needs to be passed before the cameras can be installed in the identified locations. Assuming this passes, which it will we will see cameras in the above locations.

I proceeded to enquire about this 'super' camera of which he said there is no such thing planned. No, we are not getting what the VICS have either.

What we are getting is a combination of radar based cameras and the loop back cameras. The loop back cameras work on exactly the same principle as the existing red light/speed camera. That is a couple of sensors are installed in the road to trigger the camera. The sensors will not be located at any real distance apart so the speed will be calculated in front of the camera so that it can photograph the speeding vehicle.

The radar type is the new one and it will be deployed in the same direction that the camera faces so that the camera can get a shot at the number plates.

Finally, they will not be hidden or burried under the ground. The only thing undergroud will be the loop back sensors. All cameras will be mounted in much the same fashion as the existing ones.

Lets hope that this puts everyone at ease like it did for me and if we are all the good law abiding citizens that we SAU members are then there is nothing to worry about :)

What a crock of sh!t, the ACT government should take a good hard look at itself...

How is putting in more $250,000 speed cameras in going to stop accidents or fatalities?

Everyone knows that you slow down when you know a camera is coming up and you speed up again once you've past it... Every motorist does it.

The money should be spent on better driver education and training, we pride ourselves on having some of the best roads in the world but we still have the largest number of crap drivers per city in Aus.

Whoever is in charge of driver training and licensing in the ACT should introduce mandatory defensive driver training and skid pan training to P plate testing.

*Rant*

Around a race track, no worries.

nah he is too soft to take his baby out to a track, i need somthing that will match it in a straight line and then school it around a roundabout.

I still stand by trashing the motherfks, even a black plastic bag and electrical tape over the top would be ok if u dont wanna damage them. I doubt many people would be bothered pulling the bag down once its up

If you look at the roads theyre all 100 zones...

Both of the locations on the Barton Highway are in 80 zones, just so people don't start going 100kph along that road.

You'd be lucky if you can even hit the speed limit on the way to work in the traffic these days, let alone exceed it.

I hit over 100 every morning along Ginniderra Drv & The new section of GDE. at 7am there's not much else on the road, and the speed cameras all point North :D