SAU Community

Door Speakers Getting Wet..

I have put some 6.5' speakers in my r33's door skins and while i was doing it i noticed that my door leeks through the window..but there is drain holes at the bottom of the door to let the water run out, so im assuming that the doors were designed to hav a bit of leakage..does it matter if my speakers get wet?? Is there a way i can protect the speakers to stop them getting wet??

Did you retain the factory door pod. I just cut mine to fit the 6.5" speaker. It covers the top of the speaker to prevent water dripping on it. You might be able to make a fibreglass box for them or something in the door. Thats what I am going to look at shortly.

Nah when i bought the car it didnt have any door pods in it because there was no speakers in it at all..i mite just get some sound deadening and use some of that as a 'roof' as mentioned in the thread about how to install door speakers into an r33..because i just mounted mine straight onto the door skins lol and its pretty rugged haha..

Ah ok no probs. Yeah what you are saying might be the go. I will have to check out this sound deadening stuff. I have got my speakers installed in the doors behind the factory door trims so you can't even tell that they are there. Had to bucher the pods slightly to fit the speaker in tho.

Oh will they?? How much space is there between the door frame and where the window comes down?? (So in total how much space do i have to mount the speakers behind the door skin??)

Edited by jUsT-dRiFt-iT

I used the factory pods to make sure that i didnt have this problem with the window. I used some type s alpine splits in the doors and the speaker just fit in ok. The magnet is very big and just squeezed into the pod after hacking this little ridge off on the pods. But I think there is a little bit of room between the speaker and the actual door trim grill etc. The alpines were quite deep but seemed to fit ok. But if you have already hacked a hole in your door trim I would be more inclined to mount them thru the door trim so ya can see them. My aim was to make my audio setup look fairly stock. ie less likely for people to see and want to break in and steal them.

The proper pods shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Good luck