SAU Community

Rev210's 5min $5 Intake Pipe Mod For Your Stagea/skyline.

rev210

Hi all.

I have been on the forums a while and have done this intake mod a few times without realising that I hadn't put the info up on how to do it.

This mod is as good as any replacement intake pipe you may find for sale but, it may not have the 'bling' you are after.

******** Airflow is improved / Less restriction ***********

******** Pipe will never suck closed *******************

Looks $5 performs like $150.

This is the stagea's intake pipe but, its exactly the same as the R33 gtst one and a few others.

All you need:

- Scissors

- A 13cm peice of off-cut 3inch metal pipe. Stainless is nice but, mild steel is fine. (usually free)

- Two appropriate sized 3inch diameter hose clamps ($5)

How to:

* Remove the intake pipe from the vehicle.

* Block the turbo inlet with a clean rag to prevent dirt getting in.

* Cut a section out of the middle of the flexible intake pipe where shown in pic 1. Scissors do this easy enough. Note to take the middle 2 bumps out cutting along the 'valleys' either side of each bump.

* Take a moment to clean out the peices of intake pipe you are going to re-use.

* Grab the off-cut 3inch diameter metal pipe section and cut it down to 13cm. 13cm is as long as you can realistically go.You can go much shorter 10cm or less if you like and this will give you more flex for re-fit if you want it or if you are using an aftermarket pod that sits in a slightly different position. Run a bit of sand paper or a file over the edges to remove any sharp bits that might cut the rubber pipe.

* Push the 13 cm metal pipe gently but, firmly into the each side of the two intake pipe peices with hose clamps already loose but in place.

* tighten clamps

* re-install

Off you go! :(

post-271-1181977903_thumb.jpg

post-271-1181977921_thumb.jpg

Edited by rev210

I also have done this mod but its slightly different for a R32 GTS/4 as the pipe seems to have a bit more of a curve.

I cut the rubber once in the middle flange and inserted a curved 3"Dia piece about 45degrees and just mooved the

rubber back into the orig shape on the outside but did not clamp it at first because the fit was so tight.

But I had idle issues that went away after clamping as you did. :(

you get 7+ hp for doing it regardless. Not sure when the stock one sucks closed but, I assume you would need a fair bit of power to do so anyway.

rev210,

7+ hp increase? this sounds awesome rev, but i don't understand how the increase in hp comes about (as i am n00b :P). is the 7+ hp on a standard tune motor, or high tune? and what makes the +7 hp?

looks like a great mod mate!

harts.

some testing was done some time ago both dyno and manometer and there was a reduction in restriction by replacement with a metal pipe. The dyno from memory showed 7rwhp on a stock engine, I wold guess it would increase as the restriction would become more of an issue with higher flow.

some testing was done some time ago both dyno and manometer and there was a reduction in restriction by replacement with a metal pipe. The dyno from memory showed 7rwhp on a stock engine, I wold guess it would increase as the restriction would become more of an issue with higher flow.

sweet mate, thanks for the info :P

harts.

Not a bad way of doing it.

I'm doing a group buy on a full silicone inlet pipe at the moment.

Check in my sig.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I though some people might want to know.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
you lot should take it as a sign your airfilter is too restrictive

Really? I've got a huge ass K&N filter on there, surely that can't be 'too restrictive' ? It is still a nice red colour and not dirty as well. I am running a highflow gcg on my 25 though.

holy old thread batman!

but yes, if the pipe is sucking shut, then the filter is not letting through as much air as it probably should be.

it's a trade off though. a freeer flowing filter, usually means less filtration, which means more shit in your engine.

I did this mod a couple of years ago and even running stock, S1, boost a difference was felt. I am now trying to get running after fitting the plenum but keep blowing intercooler piping off. No probs with sucking flat. I was running a Redline oiled panel filter. Amazing how much sh*t that collected. Now running pod but want to get back to Redline.