SAU Community

A Defect And A Call For Help

deel_249

So I was pulled over at a vehicle checking station in Lonsdale, given a defect for 3 different items on my 32, 2 of which are absolute bullshit.

The first one was that I have a 'non-legit' momo steering wheel. This came about because my proper momo steering wheel is slightly worn, and the cop decided that a 'stamp' would be proof, but he didn't bother to check for it, and since it didn't look brand new, he decided it couldn't possibly be a 'legit' one.

The next is my favourite... I apparently have an atmospheric blow-off valve, even though everything between the filter to the exhuast is untouched. This cop, who was convinced I had an aftermarket BOV, kept pointing to the intercooler piping, calling it the manifold and telling me that the BOV would be around there... When I asked if he could find my non-existant atmospheric BOV, he came back with "I dont need to find it because I can hear it so I know its there". Great... people that know nothing about Skylines trying to tell me that they know more about my own car than I do.

The final one is actually legit, and that my car is 30mm too low all round thanks to my coil-overs. The trouble is, now I have to take it to Regency. Does anyone here have a spare set of stock suspension for an R32 GTS-t that I could borrow for a while in exchange for a carton of the owners favourite beer? Failing that, does anyone know where I could get the best price on a used set?

I haven't had a car taken to Regency before, so I'm guessing I'll have to return the car to pretty much stock. I wasn't defected for the exhaust, but should I find a factory exhaust anyway and fit it, just to be sure? I also have a boost gauge where the drivers side AC vent should be, will that be defectable as well?

Thanks in advance guys.

I was seriously thinking of making a complaint against this guy, but theres probably no point anyway. The thing that really annoyed me the most was that when that guy went to write out the defect, I started talking to another cop, who actually knew about the factory BOV, yet I still get defected for it.

As for the camera phone, it didn't come to mind, but, judging by the cops attitude, he probably would have given me a fine for using a mobile phone in a moving vehicle, even though I was parked...

Dude don't tell me you stayed in your car??? First thing is to turn car off(ie no turbo timer) then get out of the car and be polite, if things turn pair shaped, get pen and paper out and ask for the oficers badge number and name, and take down police car details, and don't tell them you'll be speaking to thier boss, just let them wonder! I did this when my Corolla got done over and the cop rang back then next day to tell me i could got to the Sturt Cop Shop instead of Regency! I'm not saying it will work next time but it just makes them think about it!

Hmmm... Sound advice Deluxe, and believe me, its what I usually do, but I wasn't pulled over by a single car, I was at a defect checking station, and they specifically asked me to keep the engine running. I didn't have much of a choice, I could have lied about it being a turbo, but he probably would have asked me to rev it anyway, and would have heard the factory BOV then.

I could have tried to avoid it, but it would have looked fairly sus, and since there were no other cars there, i probably would have been followed and pulled over anyway.

I'm still a bit worried about this whole regency situation, how far do I need to go in bringing the car back to stock? I have a GTR wing, front bumper and side-skirts, will I need to change those to factory as well?

ETA:

Cubes, it was on Aldershot road, a little back street that gets me onto the expressway and avoids 2 sets of traffic lights. No idea why they were there, in the 15 minutes I was stopped, only about 8 other cars went past, half of them were far less road worthy than mine...

Edited by deel_249

as youve mentioned, youll definitely need to return it to stock ride height.

get rid of your boost gauge temporarilty, and make sure you hide any of the wiring that powers it.

As for your exhaust, they dont actually defect aftermarket systems (providing you have a cat convertor to comply with emissions); they actually defect the noise level: from memory, i think the max sound level youre aloud to have for a 6cylinder is 90DB. (mine measured 93, and they still fkn picked me for it... wankers.)

if you have a turbo timer, you will need to lose that as well.

They will also check/do: a brake test, check that child anchorage points are accessible through your parcel shelf for a baby seat, check your tyres arent too worn, test your seat belts, test your indicators lights and brake lights, test your horn, they will basically examine underneath your car for rust, seized up bushes etc, and of course > they will peer under your bonnet for stuff that isnt ment to be there like open to atmo BOVs. They cant say f**k all about the stock one. You should be able to pass with a pod filter, and a sturt brace as well.

No the "kit" should be fine, Just make sure your wheels are within size requirements, the exhaust is quiet or has been changed, and nothing obvious is showing or in the car! "normally" you will go thru and they will give you another checklist to check things off, so make sure you do do as many things as possible, so the second time you go thru it isn't sooooooo bad!

i dont think you'll need to worry about the cosmetics... but im not 100% on that!

i havent been to regency in 6 years! things may have changed.

Another thing you can always do, is ring up and enquire about the things youre worried about> dont tell them who you are of course, or what car you own> say youve got a 180 or something... hehe. > Especially for your MOMO steering wheel. I think if its over 330mm, its not defectible.

Aldershot road.. Bugger. :S

The R32's almost always get pinged for worn upper control arm bushes.

On the note of upper control arm bushes... Has any one been through regency with adjustable upper control arm bushes? No problems with the adjustable side of things?

Hmmm... worn upper control arm bushes, I'll remember that one, I'm booked in for a service at Boostworx on the 2nd, if I can find factory suspension before then, I'll get them to instal it, and maybe check out anything else that I could be defected for before taking it to Regency.

when i got defected the cop gave me a list longer than my arm. one was for the exhaust and even though i had a cat and it was an aftermarket trust system that was under the legal db reading with a certificate to prove it i was still sent to get a full emissions test done on my car by the EPA, cost me hundreds and i couldnt drive the car for 3 months until i had the test done hope the same thing doesnt happen to u.

emissions?

Vehicle standards told me we don't have emissions testing here in SA? Only a diesel emissions testing station?

Then on the other hand Vehicle standards said it is possible to get emissions testing done for petrol but it costs in the region of $4000.

What exhaust system do you have? I passed with a HKS Hi Power silent...and I put the stock air box on to lower the volume.

Check that you have a rear eye level brake light as well, since you've got a GTR rear wing.

And anothet thing the inspector told me to bring next time was a certificate of Exemption if you'r car was imported under the 15 yr old law or you don't have a Compliance plate.

BTW a cop was following me last night at around 1am and probably was going to pull me over. Luckily by the time he was in view I was home, so he just drove past slowly and just gave me the look :cheers:

Damn, I don't have an eye-level brake light. Guess I need to find something then. As for the exhuast, it should be fine, I've heard much louder that is apparently below the 90db limit.

You're lucky thanglongz, I was being followed by a cop once, turned into my driveway, and the cop followed me in! He honestly thought I stole the car. He even asked if I had a job! Nothing came of it though, guess I was lucky that time...