SAU Community

Rear Speakers

Assassin

rear speakers in a 2 door coupe don't really do much. I just use a pair of JVC 180W PMPO's for rear fill. The Focal splits up the front and the nakamichi sup do the hard work. I paid about 75 buck (or maybe less can't remember) for the rears.

If your objective is just to maintain the factory stereo the most important thing is to make sure the new speakers drop straight in. I'm not sure about the R34 but my earlier Skyline uses 6"speakers that mount in a 130mm hole. You should be able to measure the hole from inside the boot. Listen to speakers in your price range and choose the ones that sound the most natural. Bright treble and detail are best left to your front speakers so go for something mellow in the rear.

• 3 weeks later...

Assassin, places like JB-HiFi and HiFi supermarket should have decent but cheap speakers for the rear of your car. Look at kenwoods and bottom of the range pioneers.

Guest RedLineGTR

Assassin PM NismoR34...he can give you some info on the speakers...if not pull one of them out go to the store find one that fits exactly..most of sales people think they know skylines but r34 abit more diff..

Hey if u are looking for some cheap speakers that do a alright job, check out Jaycar's range. Nothing all that fancy but quite good for value. www.jaycar.com.au

Staff are usually pretty good, I once were replacing speakers in my old car, they let me borrow a speaker ot c if it would fit quickly, They guy just took my liscence so i wouldn't leave him.

The store i went to was on ipswith rd.

WOOLLOONGABBA

65 Ipswich Road

Cnr. Wilton Street

Woolloongabba QLD 4102

Ph. 07 3393 0777 Fax. 07 3393 0045

Mon - Fri: 8:30 - 5:30, Thu: 8:30 - 8:30, Sat: 9:00 - 4:00, Sun: 10:00 - 4:00

Queensland, Australia

I disagree that the rears dont do anything or arent worth worrying about, i only had rears for a while and with a decent amp hooked up to them the noise hits you clearly and hard (in my r32 any way) i think this could have alot to do with the angle of the back window but my rears are my high end sound apart from the subs...i got some cheap 4" and tweets in the front running of the head unit till i find something small and decent for the front.....there is no room in r32's for good big front splits that dont require a huge pod to mount them in.

I'm running a set of focals up front, and a nakamichi 12" sub in the boot, between them they cover the entire audible sound range (took a reading at the audio shop to proove it) so I didn't really need anything else, coz it would throw out the balance, I just needed rear fill. I would have kept my stockies if the damned paper cone POS hadn't started making noise.

I'm in about the same position... got my sub in now, reasonable front splits, except the back ones keep buzzing and shitting me. JB-Hifi i saw had some 2 way 6" Pioneers for around $70.. they'd be ok - and they weren't even their "bottom of the range" ones.

Sales are on at the moment.. so grab them by the testicles and start calling out prices :mad:

Guest RB20DET

I didnt bother with anything expensive in the rear..

i drove around with a front stage and subs for a while, and noticed the rear needed some filling, so i bought some $80 clarion coaxials. This does the job, i have my front stage MUCH louder than my rear, just have the speakers in the rear to fill the gaps. I wouldnt spend much money on it unless you are eager to please people who sit in your backseats.

Originally posted by predator666

I'm in about the same position... got my sub in now, reasonable front splits, except the back ones keep buzzing and shitting me. JB-Hifi i saw had some 2 way 6" Pioneers for around $70.. they'd be ok - and they weren't even their "bottom of the range" ones.  

Sales are on at the moment.. so grab them by the testicles and start calling out prices :D

I agree with predator666, there are sales on at the moment and you should be able to get decent speakers at a good price...

Guest RB20DET

funky haha, yeah well sometimes the girlfriend has to squish there when the mates are going for a ride

Funky...what size are your front splits, i got some 4" splits in there and mounted it on some thin pine board so i could put the factorygrill over the top