SAU Community

Wastegate Springs For Turbosmart Gate.

Need to know what PSI base springs people are running in turbosmart 48mm wastegate.??

I have just put a 14psi spring in mine and tested with an air source it wont open the valve till it gets 20psi boost, at 14 psi the valve wont even move. I would like to run as low as 14 psi on the street , and use my EBC to run a max boost of around 20-22psi.

What springs are others with these turbosmart gates running?

And does anyone successfuly run a low psi spring and increase boost via an EBC up to 20+ PSi?

interesting - but couldn't the turbo still output 14 psi while the wastegate is actuating at 20 psi?

is selcting a spring guess work?

I suppose if the spring on wastegate is directly connected to the turbo you could get a flow bench test.

I used a 14psi spring in my 45mm Turbosmart gate (the obsolete model to the 48mm) and it opened @ 14psi perfectly everytime.

If the gate isn't opening at the desired boost level you have a couple of issues maybe.

1. Manifold isn't flowing enough air to the gate, its easier to the air to go out the turbine housing, so its doing that and not going past the gate until sufficient pressure is there

2. Kinda a silly one, but the spring could indeed be wrong.

I think there are a couple more reasons, but its 7am and i just got up :laugh:

I used a 14psi spring in my 45mm Turbosmart gate (the obsolete model to the 48mm) and it opened @ 14psi perfectly everytime.

If the gate isn't opening at the desired boost level you have a couple of issues maybe.

1. Manifold isn't flowing enough air to the gate, its easier to the air to go out the turbine housing, so its doing that and not going past the gate until sufficient pressure is there

2. Kinda a silly one, but the spring could indeed be wrong.

I think there are a couple more reasons, but its 7am and i just got up :thumbsup:

Nismoid, did you use an electric boost controller to boost up over your 14psi base? How much boost?

I havnt tried it on the car yet, i just used compressed air to test when it opens, and it didnt open till it seen 20psi.

I have the single big red spring which is meant to be 14psi.

Anyone else confirm??

Nope, i used a bleed valve to bleed from 14psi base upto 24psi when it was in full flight :(

That sort of what i wanted to know, How well did it hold 24psi using the 14psi spring??

Perfectly. :(

No gate creep at all.

I did have some gate creep issues under high load when using the 7psi spring, and bleeding upto 17psi.

But going to a 14psi spring and going up from there worked fine

i use a 45mm pro gate with the 14 psi spring and it holds perfictly.. i have also used the $22 boost controller to bump it up to 17 psi and it held perfictly... but havnt tried to raise it anymore...

have you had previous success with the setup you are using or is this the first time it has been put together with a new setup??

Did you think of exhaust manifold pressure helping to blow the gate open?

Thats the only reason that i can think it would be doing what its doing, to allow for the backpressure to help open the valve.

Did you think of exhaust manifold pressure helping to blow the gate open?

We have a winner....

My 17psi spring wasnt opening till about 25ish psi but I added slight pressure with my thumb while testing it and it open fine on 17psi. Once fitted in the car was spot on 17psi

Edited by WHITER33GTS-T

We have a winner....

My 17psi spring wasnt opening till about 25ish psi but I added slight pressure with my thumb while testing it and it open fine on 17psi. Once fitted in the car was spot on 17psi

Odd, iv seen gates bench tested that open at XYZ boost, then when fitted. open at XYZ

We have a winner....

Almost the same as above. I have a 14psi spring in my tial 46mm gate. I hook it up to the compressor and it only opens at 28psi (fully opens that is). However, applying slight pressure to the gate piston with my thumb at about 20 psi, it opens up fine and probaly would at 14 psi, cant remember if I tired or not. So its really quite normal (the gate not opening until a higher than expected pressure) if you do not apply pressure the gate also at the piston thereby mimicking exhaust back pressure, the latter is certainly going apply more pressure than your thumb.

BF