SAU Community

Turbosmart Bov

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rich spikes, like excessive revs or something? please explain....

Na like when the bov vents, excess un burn't fuel will be dumped into the exhaust causing a backfire type sound. Not overly loud - also doesn't happen all the time either, mine doesn't really do it much at all, the turbosmart ones are good because you can tighten them up to increase the spring rate - hardening the piston in the bov to stop your car from stalling. If the bov is too loose i.e venting too much and or under idle it will cause you car to stall. If you are interested in the sound etc of a blow off valve then a pod filter will give you a simular sound just using the stock bov.

Basically set up right and you shouldn't have too many issues, but it may just cause your car to have those 'rich' as in rich fuel mixtures when the bov vents. nothing really to worry about. Try your bov and try adjusting the spring rate by turning the head of it, it should be fine, but if its causing you issues just wak the stock one back on and use a pod filter.

i have a hks pod filter at the moment... might have been better if i stated that i also have 550cc injectors, bigger turbo, fmic, walbro fuel pump, dump pipe into stainless 3 inch, microtech ecu ect.

it has an apexi (twin chamber) bov on the crossover piping at the moment but its not in use, it has the hoses of it but making the flutter sound it must be actulator, is that what is happening by the sound of things???

Sounds like your current bov is not working at all. If it were a working plambback you would get no flutter ans just a kinda cough out the pod filter. If your apexi was a workgin atmo you should get the flutter under lighter load conditions but then its venting sound at higher load. Does your current bov make any noise?

If it doesn't it may just be not a strong enough vacuum line going to the top of it. Sometimes if the vac line going to the bov has a tee piece in it and a hose going somewhere else as well, then it doesn't function properly becuase it fails to reconginise the change in manifold pressure.

Edited by R33silverS2

no, no sound comes out of the blow off valve at all, and yes it has a t piece, it should be to much of a change in pressure as the line has been kinked with a cable tie around it, blocking the boost controller, as my boost controller has been disabled. would it be an idea to totally remove t peice and hose to my boost controller?

no, no sound comes out of the blow off valve at all, and yes it has a t piece, it should be to much of a change in pressure as the line has been kinked with a cable tie around it, blocking the boost controller, as my boost controller has been disabled. would it be an idea to totally remove t peice and hose to my boost controller?

Not totally sure how your setup is but, if the bov you currently have is in the stock position (just before the throttle body on the cross over pipe) It should have a single vac line running from the top of the bov and onto a the manifold (after the throttle body). Why is there a tee in the hose connecting to the top of the bov and where is it running to? I tee'd into it once before and the bov stopped working. So it needs to be a single line from the bov to the maniforld.

the tee piece near your air box etc won't have anything to do with the operation of the bov. Problem is i cant really see from that pic of the bov, where one of the red vac lines runs too.. the one furthest up the top looks like its running under the bov or is it connected to it as well? Where is that hose connected or does the bov have two hoses coming off it? A pic from the top rather than the side would be easier to see.

that looks like it should work. i'd say the piston is probably siezed in it.

oh ok, then maybe the bov is stuffed ir no good, because looking at the bov there is no tension screw on the top... arent the apexi twin chamber bov supposed to have the tension screw? if it is seized up is it possible to fix it?