SAU Community

Has Anyone Changed Cam Angle Sensors On R33s?

Just wondering if anyone has changed the cam angle sensor on their R33s from the metal type to the plastic type?

If so how hard is it?

Does it affect the ECU or VCT in the R33?

I've changed cas before. It's a piece of cake.

Never tried the plastic one though. What cas is that plastic one? Is there something wrong with your old one?

I want to try out a new cas on my car to see if the cas is affecting my timing issue.

I'll help you out if you like - free next weekend.

I've changed cas before. It's a piece of cake.

Never tried the plastic one though. What cas is that plastic one? Is there something wrong with your old one?

I want to try out a new cas on my car to see if the cas is affecting my timing issue.

I'll help you out if you like - free next weekend.

Plastic ones are off the late model 33s and the 34s.Need one to put in these Poncams.Seems like know one wants them so i have to change CAS to fit them.

I changed the CAS on our demo car, being a 40th anniversary edition it uses the R34 plastic cover CAS, but unsure though the difference in changing from a R33 to a R34 version. Have you approached your mechanic?

I was under the impression that you could buy poncams to fit either CAS? Which ones did you get?

I changed the CAS on our demo car, being a 40th anniversary edition it uses the R34 plastic cover CAS, but unsure though the difference in changing from a R33 to a R34 version. Have you approached your mechanic?

I was under the impression that you could buy poncams to fit either CAS? Which ones did you get?

I bought the later model cams but needed the early ones.

So i need the plastic CAS.

They've got different input shaft types. The earlier ones has a half moon shaped key, prone to wear and breaking the later one has a star key looking thing, it's stronger and easier to get in. I'd stick with the cams and just get a later model cas, I think one of the traders had cas's for sale. On the ECU side of things I'm not sure, but I'd say they'd be the same.

Edited by BAMR33

I bought a brand new Genuine Nissan R33 CAS from perfect run in 4 working days for around $500 delivered, hope that helps. (I was quoted $880 locally in Brisbane from the dealer with a 2 week wait from Japan).

A new Tomei series 1 exhaust cam is $470.If i cant get a decent CAS from the wreckers ill guess ill just buy a new cam,and use this late model one as a paper weight.

I'd recommend against that for these reasons;

1 - A CAS is easier and cheaper (if you're not installing it yourself) to install than a camshaft.

2 - I had the same thought of mind as you, until i went through two 2nd hand CAS's within 6 months.

Hi Dave... I'm stuck in the same situation as you :glare:

I've managed to get my hands on a 34 CAS and I know it physically fits okay with the "series 2" R33 poncams. All I want confirmed is whether the electrical connection from the R34 style CAS will work with an R33 GTS-T powerFC.

In theory I'm thinking it should because the late model R33's (sep97 onwards) would still use the same powerFC (that's only my assumption though). Can any confirm this?

Hi Dave... I'm stuck in the same situation as you :D

I've managed to get my hands on a 34 CAS and I know it physically fits okay with the "series 2" R33 poncams. All I want confirmed is whether the electrical connection from the R34 style CAS will work with an R33 GTS-T powerFC.

In theory I'm thinking it should because the late model R33's (sep97 onwards) would still use the same powerFC (that's only my assumption though). Can any confirm this?

Hey so im not alone lol.Like you say the PFC is the same for series 1&2 R33s so in theory installing the later model CAS into an earlier model should be fine.

Hurry up and do yours and tell us how it goes.

How much and where did you get the later model CAS from???

I'm close to doing mine but with work keeping me so busy lately lets just say it's not going to be done in a hurry.

With the CAS it was just pure luck. A mate of mine who had an R34 sold it and had a CAS spare so he sold it to me. From what I hear though the CAS ain't cheap at all. If I hadn't of got my hands on this one I would have just bought the other cams.

I'll keep you posted anyway if I find out anything else.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I can now confirm that it is possible to fit the later model (R34 style) CAS on a pre Sep '97 build R33. This is of course assuming you made the same mistake as me and bought the "series 2" Tomei Poncams.

The only catch is that a couple of wires have to be switched around on the loom. My tuner sorted this for me and I haven't had a chance to look at the wiring to see what's been swapped but if anyone needs the same help I can certainly pass on the tuner's details.

• 1 year later...

While on this note, can anyone confirm whether the R32/33's have the same CAS? i understand the plastic is the hitache one and the bare metal is mitsi.

I ask becuase i intermittantly get CAS code in my diagnostics. And i didnt want to startup a new thread :)