SAU Community

ticking noise NOT on startup :(

ScarifieR

hey all

got my new car and im sussing out problems

theres a slight clunk/ticking noise on the turbo side (passenger side) at the front below the airbox i THINK

it also seems to do it when the cars turned off

just wondering what this could be

i get worried cause i spent this $ and i want everything perfect as can be

if its lifters you probably want to go for a thicker oil so mobil 1 may not be the best one to go for. try a 10W40 or 15W50

ticking on the turbo side could be an exhaust manifold leak. it will crack when cooling down as nismoman said as its the metal contracting

sometimes when i am sitting in the car waiting for my gf i can hear something similar, (engine off) is it almost like a clock? perfec synchronisation? i thought maybe the electronic clock ticks? it sounds like it is coming from somewhere near there

not neccessarily because the ticking/cracking is the metal contracting and doesnt accurately indicate oil temps which is what youre concerned with when cooling the turbo. id say 1min for normal driving and 3 min for spirited driving

Usually this noise from the location you said (left side) is from the Electronic Boost Controller. Have you got one fitted? If the noise isn't in perfect timing, eg, tick.. tick.. tick.. tick......... tick.. tick.. tick....... tick.. etc, then that's also a good sign it's the EBC because any valve train noise should be in perfect sync with the engine rpm.

The EBC will make this noise when the ignition is on even if the engine isn't running but you haven't specified if your ignition was on when you heard the noise with the engine off.

its heat expansion your your heat gaurds. lots of cars do it, mine does it on the turbo gaurd after hard runs woth cold ambient air temp.

also my exhasut does the same (stainless) it sounds like its humming, really strange took me agest to work out.