SAU Community

Spacer - Anyone Using One?

Hey guys,

Wanted to see if anyone is using a Plenum Spacer here in Aus. What re your thoughts?

I installed mine today and "think" I can feel a difference, like it breathes a bit better.

I've also got a HKS air intake kit (HKS Premium Suction) on and with the spacer, it's definately a noticeable difference. It gives the car an awesome growl as well, even with the stock exhaust.

Only prob is that it sounds so good above 4k rpm, that my fuel is dissapearing before my eyes.

I was going to do a dyno before the HKS and the spacer, but didn't get a chance too.

Although not the same, it'd be interesting to compare it to a stcok V35 at a dyno day soon. But as said with both, I definately feel an improvement over stock.

I got the spacer through a group buy on 350z-tech.com. it's through a mob called Pure Innovation im the US, they claim 10 whp on dyno's but who knows. The part itself though was excellent quality wise.

10rwhp sounds a bit optimistic.

I've got a copy of one of the US spacers, and I think I pulled 5rwkW. My own experiences (5rwkw) aren't exactly indicative as I also run a Unichip and that gain includes a retune (I had the car tuned before the spacer install, and retuned after the spacer install and the next dyno run).

What I did notice is that the engine was more willing to breathe up top. I remember that, after the install and even before the tune, the car felt a bit more willing to rev.

If you can dyno it without an ECU tune and see if your mixtures are still safe then that's fine. It probably does lean the mixture out a little bit, but as OEMs run the cars a little rich from the factory for safety its not necessarily a bad thing. The gain on the spacer is so subtle that you'll probably only notice after you get used to it, then take it back out, and wonder why the engine feels a little flat up top.

It probably does lean the mixture out a little bit, but as OEMs run the cars a little rich from the factory for safety its not necessarily a bad thing.

i agree with this statement, but... i would argue that this leaning out of the mixtures accounts for all of its power gain...

and "it breathes better up top" doesn't mean much without a dyno graph. if i saw a torque increase up top on the dyno then i would gladly believe it, but i'm not at all convinced on this plenum spacer

personally i would rather get a unichip and do the same thing but properly

5rwkw between runs isn't very much, and can almost be accounted for within dyno inaccuracies. i know with my R32 when it was on the dyno each run would vary by 3rwkw

my experience with NAs is that the only real bang-for-buck gains are going to be in the exhaust and tune and that's about it. but this is only my experience i will gladly be shown otherwise in other people's experience.

sorry to be contentious with this issue, and to the thread starter, i'm glad you're happy with it

i think this is a good topic of discussion...

Waz, don't apologise mate, my sceptisism is the reason I wanted to get other peoples view.

It's not a massive job to put in and out so if I could be stuffed I might do a before and after dyno in teh future.

Cheers

Bobby