SAU Community

No More Stagea :(

Terminal

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I haven't officially advertised it yet, which is a good thing as I had a disaster strike this arvo.

Driving along at a leisurely 80kph, i hear an almighty snap, then heaps of bits falling off my car and smoke pouring out the back of it. I pulled over, had a look under the car and sure as shit, the transfer case has destroyed itself..... Now I have to figure out how to get a new one of those.

and to make matters worse my NRMA membership had expired, which didn't make the towing cheap.

hmm that sucks, I had a transfer case die at targa tas too, chain broke (presumably because something seized up). do you know what happened?

Anyway, second hand cases are readily available cheap (I'm using a 32 gtr one in the stagea) and easy to change once the box is out, about 1/2 to replace (bunch of bolts and the fiddly little selector rod

Well I haven't officially advertised it yet, which is a good thing as I had a disaster strike this arvo.

Driving along at a leisurely 80kph, i hear an almighty snap, then heaps of bits falling off my car and smoke pouring out the back of it. I pulled over, had a look under the car and sure as shit, the transfer case has destroyed itself..... Now I have to figure out how to get a new one of those.

and to make matters worse my NRMA membership had expired, which didn't make the towing cheap.

bugger so you mean it was raining datsandcogs

hmm that sucks, I had a transfer case die at targa tas too, chain broke (presumably because something seized up). do you know what happened?

Anyway, second hand cases are readily available cheap (I'm using a 32 gtr one in the stagea) and easy to change once the box is out, about 1/2 to replace (bunch of bolts and the fiddly little selector rod

No idea what happened, but I haven't looked at it yet. I'll take it to a transmission shop on Monday and get it looked at, see if I can use the auto transfer case, otherwise I'll give Just Jap a call.

It's an R33 GTR gearbox, do you think an R32 transfer case would fit?

The transfer case is irrelevant of the gearbox it is attached to. The ATESSA controls the transfer case, the auto transmission just sends a driveshaft into the transfer case. Looking at the 2 transfer cases they appear identical and they are separated by a plate, so no chunks of chain would have found their way into the gearbox.

I'll find out on friday if they will interchange, if not I'll have a hunt around for an R33 GTR transfer case.

sorry i missed your post somehow....anyway

shifter hole is in the transfer case not the gearbox, there is a linkage that moves the gears from the xfer case.

all manual transfer cases are interchangeable, I have a 32 xfer case on a s3 33 gearbox.

will be interested in why the chain broke, the only other one I've heard of is mine lol. I had the gearbox fully checked and it was in perfect condition.

Yes, I found this out too, sorry for doubting you unique1. I have sourced another transfer case and I should be back on the road by Tuesday. Then I'll get the car detailed and put her on the market I think.

im not a newbie on here remember i have probably pulled my stagea to bits and back together more than any stagea owner in the country by now and have pulled apart the transfer cases of gtrs and the stagea auto ones and compared them.

i dont post on here much anymore but i dont mind helping out the regulars with problems as i know the feeling when trying to find info on these cars :laugh:

• 6 months later...