SAU Community

Who Has Done Diy Fiberglass Repair?

Hotwire

Hi all,

had a lapse in concentration the other night and didnt take a steep driveway at an angle and below is the result. :)

Does anyknow know if this will be fixable DIY? I havent done any fibreglassing before, but am willing to give it a shot! if people think its worth while i'll give it a go, or am I up for a new bar?

Thanks!

Some pics of the damage

Front-1.jpg

Front-3.jpg

Front-4.jpg

Front-2.jpg

Anyone know if this can be fixed?

not a hard repair, just fibreglass the rear of the bar first for strength, allow to dry, then fibreglass the bottom lip and roll it around the front to cover the damage. ensure the rear of the crack is covered completly, this will stop the bar moving.

also ensure you use some sand paper on the back of the bar to make sure the glass sticks to it good.

to finish it off use some bog which u can get from any paint shop and fill any small defects with it, sand the lot for smoothness on the front and send it off to get painted.

if u have any questions, pm me, i work with fibreglass all day everyday, so i know what im talking about.

cheers

daniel

Thanks for the help cheez!

Any tips for how/where the bar should be when doing the repair and drying? Im worried about glassing it up to find the bar is twisted or something and won't sit back on properly

when doing it take it off the car grind it all back the section where its cracked both back and front gring atleast a layer of fibreglass so you can remake that back when repairing it. also do it when its a hot day so it will adhere fast need bog and all that shit aswell

well said mate, definitly have it off the car, put it over some trestles and use it like that. if u cant wait, do the repair in an enclosed area with a resiprator on and a heater to increase air temp, or wait a few weeks til end of oct when weather is better.

make sure u scuff the back of the bar and a light sand on the front to remove a layer around the damage.

my advice would also be to get more glass and put a thick layer all along the back of bar along the bottom to reinforce it. i did that with mine (i had to patch it up anyway since i bought it second hand and it had been broken in 2 just below the passenger side headlight). we just added a heap of glass onto the back of it to strengthen it up. and i hit some fury animal at about 70kmh pulling off the highway 1 afternoon right in the centre bit below the number plate and only ended up with 2 cracks about an inch long.

you need the glass as well as the resin/hardener. it is a messy job.

all you do is (this is a very basic run down) sit it in the position you want it to be in when it is done, mix up the resin (make it a bit stronger than they suggest, that way it will set faster and a bit harder), lay on some of the glass, and put some resin on using a paint brush and spread around, then add more on. make sure you do it in layers. do the full area with 1 layer before you start the next.