SAU Community

Rejuvenate Front Plastic Bumper Lip

dilmah

Hey all,

I've been meaning to do this for some time now since I got my car, but wondering if anyone has tried it before and what success they've found with different methods/products, etc.

Basically I've got the stock front bar with the rubber/plastic lip at the bottom, which looks a bit gray and weathered when looked at up close. Also, has a few scratches which I'd like to remove.

So, has anybody done this before? I tried searching but didn't come up with anything.

I was thinking to remove it, give the underneath (where most of the scratches are) a bit of a sand down (not the front), remove some of the bits of loose rubber around existing scrapes on the front and give it a coat of something to protect it from weather, etc. in the long term.

I found references to Mothers Back to Black and some AutoGlym products searching google, but nothing with hard results. Stuff like ArmorAll is meant for internal use generally as far as I know.

Picture of my bumper:

Dilmah_Skyline_R33_GT-R_VSpec.jpg

Thanks.

looks like a gtr to me..

pumped guards.. front lights look like a series 1 or 2..

Front bar, grill all seems to line up well.. has gtr wing.. gtr side indicators..

His profile says 33 gtr.. meh anyways

So is the lip made out of rubber is it??

lol... you guys make me laugh. asif you think it's not a gtr :D

you'll need to come on some cruises and check it out for yourself!

anyway, yes, it's a series 1 vspec as it says in my profile. the bumper lip is made of plastic, but is very flexible, which is what made me unsure as to whether it was a very strong rubber bumper.

Anywho, I'd like to make it look a nice matt black like I'm sure it did originally, although currently it's a dull shade of gray with scratches along the bottom.

Has anyone tried sanding (wet sanding or whatever) their front lip... did it turn out alright?

Last thing I wanna do is make it look shitter than what it is.

armour all works well as well for outside the car have used it on seals and stuff keeps it black for awhile but then of course need reapplying you should just pop it of and sand it back and give it a spray !

you sure that's a GT-R... doesn't look like one... I stand to be corrected though.

ahahahahahahahhaahhhahhahahaa......ur a crack up man....specially after that thread on wasteland :yucky:

Dillon....nice looking car mate.

Ok I have done this a couple of times before on mine. Best thing is to give it a quick sand with fine sandpaper (if you have deep scratches might be better to start with course and then go over it with fine). Then give it a spray with K&H bumper and trim satin black. It is very easy to use and you don't have to worry about a lot of things like you do with proper paint plus it is flexible so shouldn't crack when the lip flexes.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll give it a go in the next few weeks & report back on how it all goes & what i ended up using. I don't really want it to be glossy, I'd prefer a matt black. I've seen some people really shine it up and IMHO i don't really like it.

Thanks also to Ant97GTR, it's good to hear from someone who has done it before with good results. :P

the gtr is actually a series 1, not sure about the steering wheel, but it doesn't have the red stitching around it... it's a pretty good steering wheel though, i dont have any problems with the size or feel of it.