SAU Community

Installing Amp

nsta

im wanting to install an amp and a sub into my r33, just wondering if theres a tut on running the wiring etc, i want to do it myself, but need some pointers on how to do it, i guess i run a cable form the preout off my new pioneer headunit around the drivers side dash(underneath), and around the door trim down the bottom?.....is it easy to remove everything???

need some guide please, i like doing things myself, even if it takes me 10 times longer than someone else whos done it!

also, wheres the easies place to mount a sub?

soooo... you want a sub now? ;)

You need to run RCAs and switch wire from the headunit to the amp

You need to run power and ground from the battery to the amp

Then obviously wire from the amp to the sub

Run the RCAs and switch wire from the back of the headunit, down to the floor of the driverside door, keep the wire up high and hidden... Pull the plastic foot guard off the chassis near the carpet, through to the back seat which you will also have to take out, and then through to the boot... if that is where your amp is going...

To get the backseat out, there should be 2 10 or 12 mil bolts holding the bottom part in place, then 2 plastic clips in holes holding it really in place... Getting this seat out may be the hardest thing you ever do... it sucks...

Once that's done, you can see 2 bolts holding the back half of the seat in place, undo them, then slide it up... It should have just enough clearance to pop up and out...

THEN you will see a metal plate behind that and some fabric shit... piss that off too...

There's a lot to be done, it isn't really a small job, especially the first time you do it... what state (aus)are you in? Someone might be able to give you a hand :P

hahaha, thanks mate, try Windy Wellington in New Zealand!!!. not in aus sorry dude. Umm, thanks for that, im pretty sure ill get the wiring sussed out fine, how much length will i need from headunit to amp(if im placing it in the back), and what gauge wire should i run, im going to do it bit by bit.And also......i want to place the sub in a place where its not in the way at all....is this possible in the 33's??, i was thinking next to the hicas ecu or something, so i can still get my spare tyre out etc no problems, and still have all the boot space!.

Also, what type of sub/amp combo would work well for cheap for some punchy bass(not big and boomy), im nt even into big car stereo, but mine just plain sux even after the new headunit, and speakers!!!

thanks

you will need about 5 metres of RCA and switch wire... you can get them together normally... the switch wire is just a wire...

You will only need about a metre of 8 gauge power cable (1m positive, 1m negative) for the amp if it is going in the boot...

Im thinking either a 10 or 12 inch would best suit your needs... you can put it next to the battery, but i would assume that its not all that easy... The box would have to be custom most likely... there are a few threads on it on the forums though, do a search...

Dunno about cheap subs/amps believe it or not, so i can't really help you there :rofl:

if you wanna spend a bit extra get a sub box that is moulded to the corner of the boot. most places have prefabbed ones gonna cost me $350 for one for a 12" sub to go into my r34.

And importantly dont forget to put a fuse between the battery and the amp (closer to the battery is better) and if your battery is in the boot then its even easier. and depending on the amp you get for the sub will depend on the gauge of wiring need. 8gauge is pretty normal but higher end amps can take 4gauge and if they can take it you may aswell run it.

have fun :) I always do that stuff myself. It takes me heaps longer but its way more satisfying knowing you did it that just paying someone to do it.

Grab a wiring kit from Autobarn, 2 channel or 4 depending on how many channels your amp has. Kit will set you back about $50 and incl all the wiring, and cable ties and stuff.

Run the RCA cables through the passenger side, that's what I usually do, as your more than likely to run the power cable (thick red cable) down the drivers side as the battery is located on the right of the engine bay.

This way there will not be any interference in the sound.

Ground it off the boot lock latch, makes it easier because you can run the wiring under the carpet.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Abu

Edited by abu