SAU Community

Guard Rolling/flaring

BIGDADDY1

Hey guys, need help on guard rolling. I have just put a new front end on my car and the front guards need to be lip rolled and slightly flared. The reason why is the wheels have spacers front and back and dont want it to scrub.

Can i buy a tool that will do both of these? or when you roll the lip it flares the guard anyway???

If the tool is only 200 bucks or so, i will buy one and do it myself

I can do all steel fabrication,custom piping,tig welding and want to learn to do guard rolling! can anyone

help me out with this???, Thanks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nengun sell guard rollers

you can roll them and flare with these tools, but usually flaring requires body work and repainting.

i think the nengun ones is about $270 shipped

most places charge about $50 a guard

Nengun sell guard rollers

you can roll them and flare with these tools, but usually flaring requires body work and repainting.

i think the nengun ones is about $270 shipped

most places charge about $50 a guard

If you use enough heat and take your time you will be supprised how well you can flare them without the paint cracking.

Of course it does depend on the quality of the paint to begin with and if there has been any previous repair work.

You're best off buying your own guard roller. You can roll and flare your guards with the one tool. Like Craved said, most people charge about $50 per guard, but as far as I know, that's only to roll your guards not flare them. To flare, people charge about $65+. You can pick up guard rollers for ~$250, do your car and then flare 3 other people's cars and you've got your money back.

To minimize cracking and buckling, try flaring your guards on a really hot day so that your whole panel is nice and hot.

$250 seems more reasonable than $700.

There's someone on these forums who's selling a brand new guard roller for ~$220 I think it was. I just remember the member had a purple 32 GTR as his avatar.

$250 seems more reasonable than $700.

There's someone on these forums who's selling a brand new guard roller for ~$220 I think it was. I just remember the member had a purple 32 GTR as his avatar.

Their was until I bought it :rofl: +1 for doing it yourself though keep in mind it takes time and patience to get the right result :)

hey where on the northern beaches do you live?

im at newport and do you want to do a bargain for me to use it?

please sms me on 0414818076, i need asap car is due to be sprayed this week

Honestly.. on something where there is so much at risk - Id pay.. its not THAT much different in price..

Id be scared to bugger up the paint, finish, making sure its even.. But I also have next to no patience with fiddly things..

if it comes down to $200 for a roller.. and $300 to get it professionally.. Id personally get it done in a workshop..

This is not to say I like getting anything else in my car done by a shop.. I just think paint and certain body work things need to be dont proffessionally.. I dont trust other with any other area of my car..

you have to have faith in yourself, I have just stitched a new front on my car from strut tower forward and have never done it before. and am now going to do this surgery on a mates S15 which has the same accident and my confidence level has increased enough to do it. With this guard rolling i cant justify paying someone else to do it because they had to start at my level and you dont get warranty on this procedure, so where do you stand??? you might aswell give it a go yourself.

You just have to have the confidence in your work!!!!!!

Whats the worst that can happen??? stretch the guard!!!

Thats why god invented BOG.

And also i found these guard rollers

They are $175 at bursons.

Will keep intouch and tell all the outcome

you have to have faith in yourself, I have just stitched a new front on my car from strut tower forward and have never done it before. and am now going to do this surgery on a mates S15 which has the same accident and my confidence level has increased enough to do it. With this guard rolling i cant justify paying someone else to do it because they had to start at my level and you dont get warranty on this procedure, so where do you stand??? you might aswell give it a go yourself.

You just have to have the confidence in your work!!!!!!

Whats the worst that can happen??? stretch the guard!!!

Thats why god invented BOG.

And also i found these guard rollers

They are $175 at bursons.

Will keep intouch and tell all the outcome

I agree, you just need confidence in your work, if you don't feel confident, don't do it.

Where's this "bursons" place? What is it? Is it like Bunnings type place? :D

Serious question though.

Their was until I bought it I tried doing it myself, but ended up f**king it up.
Fixed.

Please use quote function correctly :D !!! As I didn't f&*k anything up when I did mine and it is the only car I do any work too!

-Phill

Edited by phillb