SAU Community

Mt Buller Rally Death

allblitz

Yeah, saw this on the news a couple of minutes ago. Not sure what car it was, but it was yellow.

Driver died and the navigator got sent to hospital.

RIP

According to the CAMS website, apparently it was the navigator (and not the driver) that passed away - Article Here

Very sad news - condolences to the family

Oh damn! Thats not good news at all.

My cousin is up there this weekend from work for the RALLY, he is pit crew for one of the drivers competing.

Edited by abu

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/03/...Rally-Death.php

Its a V8:

A rally co-driver was killed and his driver injured after their car went over a 20-meter (66-foot) cliff Saturday in northeastern Victoria state.

The V-8 car was competing in the Mt. Buller Sprint tarmac rally, a 16-kilometer (10-mile) uphill leg of a three-day event. The accident occurred about 8 kilometers (5 miles) from the summit of Mt Buller, a ski resort.

Victoria Police said the co-driver died at the scene. The driver, 22, was taken by air ambulance to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

very sad news, according to a close mate who is competing up there, cars have been flying off the road all weekend, due to the torrential rain, visability is very low...

Apparently it was a porsche turbo that was involved in the fatal accident.

RIP

I was up there when it happened (GF is navigating in car 5)

The car that was involved in the fatality was an Elfin MS8 Clubman driven by David Reynolds and Co-drven by Paul Flintoft. Unfortunately Paul passed away at the scene. There is talk of there being a ban placed on open/convertible cars from the next event onwards. In all, 10 cars came off in the 1 stage they ran on Saturday and another 10 in the one stage run yesterday. Yesterday on the way down to Mansfield for lunch i saw a 996 911 GT2 with a hole the shape of a tree smack bang in the middle of the bonnet...wish i had my camera with me!!! Even Jim Richards packed it up and went home yesterday arvo! So far 4 stages have been cancelled, but im told it is fine and sunny up there this morning so its game on!

R.I.P.

The scary part is David Reynolds is no hack. I mean he just won this years Carrera Cup championship so the boy can drive.

For anyone wanting to know what the car looked like I'm 99% sure it is the same car that Tony D'Alberto drove in this years Dutton rally (see below). It was a quick car too. In the Dutton Tony did a 1.34.7 at Winton and a 1.20.4 at Sandown. But it is definitely not a car you'd like to crash into a tree in. :ninja:

DSLR_05_resize.jpg

I was there competing and it was an awful thing on Saturday. Paul died instantly when the car hit a tree on his side as it left the road and went down

the hill. David Reynolds is doing well and is not as badly injured as first thought, but as you can imagine is having a very bad time right now.

As dangerous as the sport can be, we all know the risks involved and conditions on Saturday were as bad as they get with wet roads and very poor visibility.

The sport will miss Paul and everyone involved feels deeply for his family and friends loss. It's up to us as a community to see that all are as safe as possible, but fast cars narrow roads and solid trees will always be a risk to life - its a personal choice to compete or not.

All in all it was a very challenging event, but a great one too.

cheers

I certainly agree with everything Allan says, and can confirm the conditions on the first two days were the worst we have ever run in. There were about 20 cars binned in the first two stages. It was a very tough event, in a number of ways.

Without wanting to second guess the outcome of the investigation, I wouldnt put myself or anyone I loved into a car without a roof and full cage in one of these events.

I was there competing and it was an awful thing on Saturday. Paul died instantly when the car hit a tree on his side as it left the road and went down

the hill. David Reynolds is doing well and is not as badly injured as first thought, but as you can imagine is having a very bad time right now.

As dangerous as the sport can be, we all know the risks involved and conditions on Saturday were as bad as they get with wet roads and very poor visibility.

The sport will miss Paul and everyone involved feels deeply for his family and friends loss. It's up to us as a community to see that all are as safe as possible, but fast cars narrow roads and solid trees will always be a risk to life - its a personal choice to compete or not.

All in all it was a very challenging event, but a great one too.

cheers