SAU Community

Us Or The Japs?

GD51LA

^^^^ it is just Ford "style" diff etc. I'd doubt you'd find Ford or Holden making 1% of those cars

Yes you're right, they aren't truely production "Fords" or "Holdens" more like a Triple8 Falcon or a HRT Commodore as each team has a completely different way of building the cars.

I'm a massive V8 Supercar fan :wave:

i dont get your point. my grandfather was tortured for 2 years in changi and he never seemed keen to have japanese cars in the driveway?

I was at a returned servicemans club a few months ago, and I got a dirty look and a quick lecture from an elderly man when I explained to him what beer I ordered at the bar.

I bought Asahi. He was a little bit miffed that they were selling Japanese beer in a returned servicemans club. He obviously had a fairly unpleasant experience with them. Personally I dont blame them if they've been through stuff that they did!

oh and it is a Ford 9"

thats one of the only ford parts :)

oh and the headlights

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Gt...59#entry3427059

i found times for sepang which they have both competed on in the other thread on this topic

(and yes i know its not one of "our" top level v8 teams running the car)

one thing you got to remember is bathurst

and how the almighty skyline blew anything that it came up against =]

GT-R ftw !

YES!!!!

I apologise in advance for any offence, i believe that once again Ford and Holden are using V8 series as a huge marketing tool to keep their sales up. If Australia allowed the likes of Nissan, Toyota etc to race against the taxi's... The taxi's would lose year after year. Then de-regulate importation of cars so we can buy imported cars at half or a third of what we pay here.

Then hear a loud flushing noise and watch Ford and Holden go down the pooper. All the rules for racing V8's and rules for importing cars direct from say Nissan or Toyoya are in place to protect the taxi manufacturing plants. Oh how monotonous it is to watch the racing, "here comes a Ford, no he's being overtaken by a Holden , oh no here comes the Ford.....LOL.

the best comparison i could find was from Sepang.

GT500 - 1.54.306 (nismo Z)

GT300 - 2.06.669 (MRS)

FIA GT2 - 2.09.493 (997 GT3 RSR)

V8 Supercar - 2.15.849 (Ex DJR BA qualifying for Sepang 12 hour)

The v8 was being run by a privateer Malaysian team in the 12 hour race. I seriously doubt that a Top Aussie team would be able to pull the car up to the GT300 time, it would be much closer to the FIA 997 RSR's time.

if the v8's want to get serious about making faster cars get some decent aero packages for them!!

I will go out on a limb and say the drivers of the ex DJR car are a bunch of hack businessman or had no idea how to set the car up. Now thats no sin, LOL it would be all of us if we were driving...but i feel it means that time cant be used as a basis for comparison. Based on the times i saw, i dont think a V8 Supercar would have any trouble handing it to a GT300 car .

YES!!!!

I apologise in advance for any offence, i believe that once again Ford and Holden are using V8 series as a huge marketing tool to keep their sales up. If Australia allowed the likes of Nissan, Toyota etc to race against the taxi's... The taxi's would lose year after year. Then de-regulate importation of cars so we can buy imported cars at half or a third of what we pay here.

Then hear a loud flushing noise and watch Ford and Holden go down the pooper. All the rules for racing V8's and rules for importing cars direct from say Nissan or Toyoya are in place to protect the taxi manufacturing plants. Oh how monotonous it is to watch the racing, "here comes a Ford, no he's being overtaken by a Holden , oh no here comes the Ford.....LOL.

Whats wrong with the govt protecting our automotive industry from OS manufacturers. What wrong with thousands of local jobs and skills for Australians ??

As for the whole Japanese cars showing a clean pair of heels to anything we could build? Maybe??? But dont forget that Nissan, Toyota etc struggled to make a car that could beat the Grp A Commodores at Bathurst, and globally in the same series. They exploited the rules to have success with the GTR, and great work! But look at Nissan Le Mans attempts. Toyota have enjoyed some more success, but i still dont think you can be too quick to judge and say that given a class of cars that the Japanese cars would be any quicker. There is a lot of evedince that the Japanese cars are not as quick...you only have to look at how the Supras, GTRs went when they were up against the Corvettes etc in teh GT series.

Anyway, im not saying you are wrong re the pace of cars should there be a re-think in cars....i just feel too many ppl do not give the Australian built tin tops the credit they deserve...all because one model of racing Nissan was built from scratch to win a series when all the competition were homologating shopping trollies/road cars for the Grp A series.

I will go out on a limb and say the drivers of the ex DJR car are a bunch of hack businessman or had no idea how to set the car up. Now thats no sin, LOL it would be all of us if we were driving...but i feel it means that time cant be used as a basis for comparison. Based on the times i saw, i dont think a V8 Supercar would have any trouble handing it to a GT300 car .

Whats wrong with the govt protecting our automotive industry from OS manufacturers. What wrong with thousands of local jobs and skills for Australians ??

As for the whole Japanese cars showing a clean pair of heels to anything we could build? Maybe??? But dont forget that Nissan, Toyota etc struggled to make a car that could beat the Grp A Commodores at Bathurst, and globally in the same series. They exploited the rules to have success with the GTR, and great work! But look at Nissan Le Mans attempts. Toyota have enjoyed some more success, but i still dont think you can be too quick to judge and say that given a class of cars that the Japanese cars would be any quicker. There is a lot of evedince that the Japanese cars are not as quick...you only have to look at how the Supras, GTRs went when they were up against the Corvettes etc in teh GT series.

Anyway, im not saying you are wrong re the pace of cars should there be a re-think in cars....i just feel too many ppl do not give the Australian built tin tops the credit they deserve...all because one model of racing Nissan was built from scratch to win a series when all the competition were homologating shopping trollies/road cars for the Grp A series.

Yeah man, i think ozzie cars are awesome, and i really want to let people keep their jobs. I do enjoy the V8 racing it has a good history and alot of ozzie pride associated. Just think we should see more manufacturers competing. I'd love to see other companies having a go. Would make racing more enjoyable for me. :D

Yeah man, i think ozzie cars are awesome, and i really want to let people keep their jobs. I do enjoy the V8 racing it has a good history and alot of ozzie pride associated. Just think we should see more manufacturers competing. I'd love to see other companies having a go. Would make racing more enjoyable for me. :D

Yeh , it would be great to see more manufacturers. But which? When the Grp A class was scrapped globally most countried went their own way. Europeans went the way of the 2L, Japanese came up with their own pseudo GT style cars. In Australian the ONLY manufacturers committed to racing was Holden and Ford. So we had to come up with a class that suited them. Otherwise we would have had to copy another series and build similar cars as well as buy their used shells. Either way the cars had no appeal to our local market, and their local arm, be it Toyota, Honda, BMW, Toyota wanted nothing to do with an Australian series...so they were not going to throw money into a series.

So Holden and Ford were the saviour of Australian motorsport for a good many years. Now it seems that AVESCO are committed to killing off all other forms of motorsports and killing open wheelers etc by not throwing all the main classes on the one damce card. I have a whole bunch of issues with how the series is run...but you cant hold that against Holden and Ford for doing what no other Australian car dealer/manufacturer was willing to do back in 1993.

Anyway... ;)

I will go out on a limb and say the drivers of the ex DJR car are a bunch of hack businessman or had no idea how to set the car up. Now thats no sin, LOL it would be all of us if we were driving...but i feel it means that time cant be used as a basis for comparison. Based on the times i saw, i dont think a V8 Supercar would have any trouble handing it to a GT300 car

Troy I don't dispute that at all.

I dug a little further and Ric shaw in a 1999 V8 Commodore did a 2.10 so i can easily see a Current top level car and Team up with the FIA GT2 and GT300 spec cars if not a little bit faster on that track.

but on some of the Smaller tighter Aussie tracks the GT3 cup cars give the V8's a run for the money. Last year they out qualified the V8's on 2 tracks.

whilst the gtrs back in the day were fast, it was only when they were going.

reliability was shithouse, especially early on in the piece, split engine blocks, diffs, driveshafts, turbos etc all failing regularly.

http://www.thegodzilla.com/race-history-of-the-godzilla.php

funny thing to read, how they could use the 4wd to get out of the sand pits however, as if thats not unfair advantage, haha...

but on some of the Smaller tighter Aussie tracks the GT3 cup cars give the V8's a run for the money. Last year they out qualified the V8's on 2 tracks.

Yeh, its phenomenal isnt it. Its Eastern Creek and ??? where the Porkas are quicker. So quick for so little power and what is essentially similar weight. What is it that makes them so quick, i imagine a bit of aero and mostly just dynamics.

it is true, they run ford 9" diff, ford's front double wishbone suspension and a chev motor. they are just controlled reg sport sedans these days

not really a ford 9" diff. its a 9" diff that was originally of fords design. VE commodored actually have double wishbone suspension as well, so thats not a ford based component, and the engines used are actually 5 litres motors based around the holden engines that used to power commodores, albeit heavily modified....

at least holden runs an engine that was actually used in its cars at some stage.. i dont recall ford ever using a 5 litre engine in any of their cars...