SAU Community

R33 Boot - Water Leak

fleximoronx

Hey guys,

The other day, my boot was flooded with 4 litres of rain water, due to the heavy rain recently.

This has never happened, so I'm assuming that the boot seal has been worn out.

Do you guys have any suggestions on the problem? Or if anyone has encountered something similar?

I wouldn't have a clue where to get new boot seal installed, if that was the problem...

Any help and assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Take a small friend up to the car wash with a torch, cram them in the boot and spray away. Don't be afraid to pull the trims out to see what's going on.

Also look at the wiring running to the bootlid, the wiring grommet can fail and allow water to run freely into the right side of the boot area. Water leaks can suck to find.

Good luck.

Also look at the wiring running to the bootlid, the wiring grommet can fail and allow water to run freely into the right side of the boot area.

I think this could be the case, given that water is only going through from the right side. How do you find out it's a wiring grommet failure? Are there tests I can do? (not even sure what a wiring grommet does... I'm a noob with cars, sorry.)

it will be coming from the tail lamps....make no mistake

I had my car at the panel beater a while back, they fixed up the right hand tail light (someone scratched the rear and side panels)... maybe this could be the problem? If this could have caused the problem... maybe they didn't seal the tail light properly? but to have 4 litres of water coming through this small part of the vehicle is surprising... any suggestions? is that even possible?

I had my car at the panel beater a while back, they fixed up the right hand tail light (someone scratched the rear and side panels)... maybe this could be the problem? If this could have caused the problem... maybe they didn't seal the tail light properly? but to have 4 litres of water coming through this small part of the vehicle is surprising... any suggestions? is that even possible?

YES :D

it will be coming from the tail lamps....make no mistake

Spot on, my old car the the exact same thing, pull them out, goop them and put them back in. You'll find it will happen when you park on a certain angle, well at least I did. You'll need a bit of muscle to pull them out though, that black silastic stuff can be tuff :yes:

On a slightly unrelated note my friend and I have been toying with the idea of putting a hole in the spare wheel bay and plugging it with a stopper so that when we go to a BBQ we can take out the spare tyre and turn the boot into an eski.

I was just thinking about water in the boot :wave:

On a slightly unrelated note my friend and I have been toying with the idea of putting a hole in the spare wheel bay and plugging it with a stopper so that when we go to a BBQ we can take out the spare tyre and turn the boot into an eski.

I was just thinking about water in the boot :D

There should already be a hole under the spare wheel, that has a removable grommet. (R33)