SAU Community

R33 Boot - New Gas Struts For Me!

Breakmaster

Hi Guys,

For anybody with a big wing on their skyline, you may have what I had - the guilotine bootlid from hell. You open up your boot, and apprehensively reach in to grab what ever you need, knowing at any moment, that 10kg fibreglass wing laden boot could come crashing down on top of you.

And all because your gas struts are worn. I went down to Nissan to ask how much it would be to get some new ones from Japan, and they quoted me $360. But the nice man behind the counter in a whispered voice advised me that I could just get them re-gassed for a lot cheaper...

He gave me the number of Ming Kuang - 0418 200 289 / 0412 888 671 - "Gas Strut Direct"., a mobile gas strut repairer. I called Ming who turned up at the agreed time. He removed my old gas struts and firstly tried to re-gas them. One was able to be re-gassed successfully, but the other wouldnt come back - its seal was too far gone.

So Ming advise me that he could replace both gas struts with some heavy duty aftermarket ones. I wont say what he charged me on here (call him for a quote), but suffice to say it was significantly less than what Nissan wanted....

So if you are like me, scratching your head about what to do about your executioner-style bootlid closure, try giving Ming a call. He gives great honest service at a very reasonable price.

Dani.

• 10 years later...