SAU Community

How to acheive 200rwkw RB20

Ok well i have saved my pennies and plan to do a few mods to my 32 GTST. the parts i currently have are:

large FMIC

Full exaust 3 1/2" inc 3"cat (but not dump)

Filter and bleed valve.

with these mods i made 221bhp (170rwkw)

my aim is to acheive 270bhp (200rwkw)

im about to purchase:

RB25 turbo and fit HKS actuator set at 13-14psi

SAFCII (dyno tuned...)

Dump/front pipe

New wheels (for traction purposes of course :))

Im hoping this will alow me to acheive 200rwkw.

Is this realistic? anyone got those sorts of mods on an RB20 - if so what power have you made?

not sure on how to acheive 200rwkw but hoping to get that soon in my silvia rb20.. but just a question how did you find having a big fmic and std turbo?? was it laggy? worth it or not? thinking of buying one but not sure if to wait till i get a bigger turbo first like an rb25 one.

im pretty sure you will reach 200rwkw.. maybe get adjustable fuel reg to make sure fuel is ok.. and depending how hard ya drive maybe a fuel pump.. just to be sure!!!

yeah i wasnt sure whether to do the pump and reg, was going to see what the dyno told me.

as for bigger cooler, i was running 14psi with the standard cooler and when i fitted the bigger i noticed a little lag but a much bigger hit in the back, obviously it flowed alot better and the air was much more dense, so it made a difference for the better i would say.

well if it adds 20kw im stolked, if i can get that much out of the turbo and maybe another 10kw from the SAFCII then im there.

Has anyone out there cracked 200rwkw or more with the RB25 turbo on an RB20?

mine is as follows - FMIC, Bosch Pump with stock injectors and pressure, HKS 2510 turbo (quite similar in size to a RB25 turbo), 3" exhaust and re-mapped stock computer = 200.3rwkw @ 1bar boost

Not sure if a RB25 turbo will get you to 200, I reckon around 180 would be about it.

Also budget for a decent clutch and reqular replacement of the rear tyres!

how did you find having a big fmic and std turbo?? was it laggy? worth it or not? thinking of buying one but not sure if to wait till i get a bigger turbo first like an rb25 one.

I have a FMIC with a standard turbo, and dont have a problem with lag... it was not really noticable from the standard one to what i have now, plus i was able to wind up the boost to 1bar.

Where abouts in brisbane are you? I have a 180sx with an RB20, would be interesting to catch up and have a look at yours, go for a cruise or something.

The Zoom magazine from a month or two ago had a great article on upgrading the RB20DET to 160rwkw, 220rwkw and beyond.

Chris32: I'm finally getting some parts together to upgrade my stock R32GTSt....you may remember on the SAU dyno day at Tilbrooks last year it made a whopping 105rwkw!! I think at the time Brains said something like " don't let this one get away from you" hehehe

I bought Clint32's old 3 inch front pipe, high flow cat and exhaust and now I am buying a FMIC as part of the group buy on these forums. I'm also gonna buy a boost controller...thinking Hybrid electronic at this stage...what do you have? As for airflow filter I'll probably just get a K&N panel filter. I can also get a brand new Bosch 040 fuel pump for a great price from a mate...do these make much noise? Also hoping on some good deals at this weekends Auto Salon ** fingers crossed**

My ultimate aim is to get 210rwkw so can say I have made a 100% improvement over the stock power. Obviously a bigger turbo is required and also some engine management changes. I was wondering where you got your ECU remapped and how much it cost? I'll probably get a couple of quotes to get everything installed and tuned in one go as I'm not that mechanically minded!!

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit bbenny....hopefully we'll be able to get some more good info to achieve similar goals. :(

Yep I remember. Good to hear you are getting some stuff organized

I have just installed a Greddy Profec A boost controller, but used a turbosmart bleed valve when it was tuned and for about 5 months after that.

I'd go for a pod filter, they aren't expensive and it gets rid of the stock aribox which can be a little restrictive at 200rwkw.

Bosch 040 is what I have, got it for $300 from motortraders. They are a little noisy, but not much. At least you can hear it working!

Tilbrooks did all of the turbo fit and tune, but as Martin no longer works there, Morpowa now does them. Not sure what they charge, as Mark looked after me with the price.

What turbo are you going for?

I think you'll be struggling to get 200rwkw with a T28 when an RB25DET w/ stock turbo struggles to get 200rwkw. The ceramic turbos will just spin out into little pieces f you boost it too high - if you highflow it then 200rwkw shouldn't be too difficult though. Might have injector problems as well if you are using stockies in an RB20

I'd also recommend you spend more money on a better aftermarket solution than an S-AFC if you want to get close to 200rwkw or above. Its not bad, but it won't serve you as well as a full ECU. After going back to stock I realise what an ECU tuned for the (in my case stock) components can do.. its just so much smoother.

check www.meggala.com site - he's been there all before

I'll probably get everything else installed and sorted before I think about a bigger turbo.....don't think the taxman will cover everthing plus a turbo this year. :( In fact I don't think he'll cover much of everything else!!

Does anyone know if Bosch makes injectors suitable for an R32 GTSt?

Fair enough. At least you are travelling down a well used modification path, so there shouldn't be to many surprises along the way.

Just make sure you get a good clutch to use the extra grunt