SAU Community

Which Garrett Turbos Should I Get?

Hey everyone,

Im possibly about to purchase a pair of Garrett 2860-5 turbos. Can anyone tell me the differences i will most notice with either 0.64 and 0.86 exhaust A/R's. At first i didnt realise but now i have been informed you can choose from the two A/R's on the exhaust housings. Keen to hear of what either will do to overall power capability and response. I have my guesses but it would be nice to hear from people who have actually tried and tested them. If anyone has any other turbo options with similar capabilities at a similar price i would also be interested in them too. I want to keep the twin setup with the stock manifolds.

Thanks in advance,

Deren :D

Ok. Thanks for that. I guess my stock capacity wouldnt help anymore either! Anyone else got an opinion?? Sounds as though the .64 is the way to go but maybe someone has a dyno graph for each?

Thanks

Edited by Godzilla32

.86 rear isnt that big..

i had a 1.15 rear when bought it on my t04 changed it to a .84 and now its fantastic spools up very similar to standard with none to minimal lag.

every turbo and rear is different in lagginess etc. Garrett website should have graph's

.86 rear isnt that big..

i had a 1.15 rear when bought it on my t04 changed it to a .84 and now its fantastic spools up very similar to standard with none to minimal lag.

every turbo and rear is different in lagginess etc. Garrett website should have graph's

.86 rear exhaust housing on a single turbo maybe BUT not 2 of them, its like using a 1.3L engine to spool up a GT2860 with a .86 housing

Deren,

Have you considered what the power and responses you want from your car afterward?

Maybe look at the gt-ss kit, almost the same price.

In saying that and tossing up which turbs to buy myself, I have a pair of new 2860-5's sitting here in my office waiting for christmas to fit...

i'm looking at getting the GT2860-5's myself.

who stocks them for $2500?

i was planning to get them thru super cheap auto, staff discount brings them down to around $1100 ea.

however the garrett website says that the 2860-5 comes with the 'compact 5 bolt' turbine outlet (which won't fit standard dumps) , but the 'turbine housing option' is needed to keep your dump pipes.

I'm not sure which SCA stocks

hope it helps

Standard capacity 2 x 2860-5, PFC, dumps, injectors, "Spec R" Cat 3inch zaust. 430RWHP @ 1.3 bar, lag...pfft,just be in the correct gear. Go for the .64. If your going down down the road of new turbos go the dumps to...Tomei if you can afford.

Ususal Suspect..theres a pair in the for sale section

In saying that and tossing up which turbs to buy myself, I have a pair of new 2860-5's sitting here in my office waiting for christmas to fit...

Hey heller44, would you mind checking the ID tag on your 2860 -5's. Apparently they are now badged as 2560 -5's but still have the 2860 -5 specs.

I did look at the HKS GT-SS turbos but after a comparison i found the garrett 2860-5 will flow more with nothing lost in response.

A garrett 2560 is a turbo designed for the SR20DET. I fitted one about 6 months ago.

I was planning to get a set of CES racing dump/front pipes, similar design to the trust ones. Its a combined dump/front pipe but its assembled in 3 pieces.

Im a bit concerned now that they wont bolt upto the standard dump pipe flange design?!? Can anyone confirm this? I have my doubts that it will be an issue.. Better to be safe than sorry though.

Who sells them for $1200 each? Keen to know..

Thanks guys for all your input :P

Deren

Edited by Godzilla32

Deren, I'm pretty sure that the 2860R-5 will bolt up, they were sold to me as a "direct replacement". If split dumps are your preference why not go with the Trust extension front pipes a few guys on here claim good results with them although I'm told there seems to be a bit of a trick fitting them. Ring up a reputable tuner and see what they have to say. GL

I Thought the 2560 was the old name and the 2860 was the new name???

hmm... very interesting.

id tag says,

KJ 0134J

GT2560R

707160-5

Strange that they are still using what I thought was the old gt number even though the part number is the same.

Checked with the dumps that I have here and they match up perfectly, a set of secondhand old-style mines dumps, that will go nicely with the secondhand apexi front pipes... gotta love parts that don't wear out.

edit: Whats a 2530 kit going for now delivered? ~$3500? I bought my pair for $2540 delivered, and then had a brain fart and bought the fitting kit from nengun.. waited over 2.5 months for delivery but I have it all for significantly cheaper than the 2530 kit.

Edited by heller44

707160-5 thats the ones...

from the cattle dog

Turbochargers > GT28 Family > GT2860R - 707160 - 5

Ball bearing

* Oil & Water-cooled bearing system

* T25 turbine inlet flange

* Turbine housing has a unique "compact"

5-bolt outlet that is not interchangeable

with traditional T25 5-bolt outlets

* Turbine housing is cast from high-nickel

"Ni-Resist" material for extreme