SAU Community

Air Conditioner Fan In Dash Stopped Working ?

Guilt-Toy

Hi guys, this is a issue i had with my car and no one knew the answer to it when i asked so I am posting up the issue and fix so if anyone else uses the search function they will be able to find a fix.

A little while ago i turned my air con on and it started working for about 10 seconds and then it stopped. The fan just stopped but the compressor was still on and was still cooling the air but there was no fan at all to get the air into the car.

After a lot of mucking around, i got my mate to bring over his r33 so we can try and change over the climate controll unit, he said we should try the Fan Speed controll unit first (being a auto air conditioner mechanic he said it was common)

This unit is under the dash on the passenger side of the car, you have to take your glove box out to get access to it, 2 phillips head screws and one plug, changed over to my mates one and it worked straight away. WIN!!

I phoned the toy shop and they were asking $95 for the part, i refused to pay that much and wanted to try someone from here on the forums but then i remembered we had a R32 front cut in my mates garage from converting his r31 to a rb20 so i stole the part from that and it fit and worked!!!

So yeah the R32 fan speed controller works in the R33.

Just wanted to post up this info to help anyone else that has this issue because apparently its a common issue in all cars. If this post helped you then reply so i know i at least have not wasted my time :bunny:

air con fan stop stopped working climate control

• Like 1

I took some pics of the speed controll unit. the part with the fins goes inside the air conditioner unit.

I took the black cover off it and it looks like it corroded around some of the joints... maybe pull yours out and clean them up and re-solder them to make sure they are not dry joints and put it back in to see if it fix's it before buying a new part?

hope this helps!

post-1240-1197438020_thumb.jpg post-1240-1197438053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guilt-Toy

• 6 months later...

I had my fan die suddenly 2 weeks ago...

Checked all the fuses and they were OK.

Did the climate control test and come up with 20 - meaning OK

After seeing this thread, checked out the fan speed controller unit - took off the black plastic part and it looked ok, but when i lifted the electronic board I found the issue straight away...

check out the pic to see the solder of one of the connections came off.

post-36493-1215225664_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this thread Guilt-Toy, you didn't waste your time. :banana:

Saved $95 and the hassle of trying to find another one. :thumbsup:

Edited by petern

• 1 month later...

Awesome work fellas,

My air-con blower just died & turned out exactly the same as peterns - same connection exactly. Swapped with mate to check. But yeh that coppery looking band had some off in the same spot - will try soldering it up tomorrow (i'll post some pics)

Big Cheer,

Pen

Yeh worked. I have some pics. If you have a similar problem - ie the Air-con Fan Blower is not working when you cycle the Fan button on the control - I would recommend borrowing one of a mates & trying that. If it works then pull your old one out & pull it apart & look under the lid for a broken copper looking connection. Then desolder the 3 pins on the other end going to the chip and pull off the top circuit board . Resolder down the copper looking connection and then resolder down the 3 pins. DONE & DONE!

• 5 months later...

WOOT!

this fixed my problem!

so glad to have the AC back up and running, was driving me crazy!!

guilt-toy you are officialy my hero! so glad i didnt take my dash apart!

Edited by MoogLe

WOOT!

this fixed my problem!

so glad to have the AC back up and running, was driving me crazy!!

guilt-toy you are officialy my hero! so glad i didnt take my dash apart!

Whats your email adress? I will send you the Guilt-Toy Hero application form, if your application is successfull you can begin to pay your $50 a month membership fee and you get access to the private forums.

Whats your email adress? I will send you the Guilt-Toy Hero application form, if your application is successfull you can begin to pay your $50 a month membership fee and you get access to the private forums.

Geez, aren't you gonna have to sign up to be a trader to sell your services like this? :(:P:)

*runs*

I'll try this out in mine - in addition to only blowing air out of the window vents, it is convinced it's -23 outside constantly and won't cool any air down argh!

that sounds more like the PBR is stuck with the vent closed on warm air only

look in the driver side footwell you'll see a small motor with a moving and and a rod connected to it, disconnect that rod and move it manually in your direction untill you hear a THUD which indicates the vent closing

• 4 months later...

Hey woah!!!!

This sounds like the EXACT same issue i am having with my ER34!!

Hope its the same for mine. Will check it out tonight.

Thanks for taking the time Guit-Toy - if this works you rox the box!

Kind regards,

Ado Potato.

Well had a look and with the R34's turns out you dont need to remove the glove box at all. If you look up whilst under the passenger footwell you will see a black thing with a white connector running to it. Unclip this, remove the 3 big screws and the whole fan assembly thing falls down.

Checked the copper film and it hasnt come away from the solder on either side. The fan is siezed so im assuming thats the problem. Anyone know of a good wrecker i can give a call?

Many thanks in advance and sorry if this is classified as hijacking your thread.

Ado POtato.