SAU Community

Question With My Ssq Bov With My R33gtr

my gtr have this twin ssq bov, is this how should it sound???? with the youtube

what rpm should i hear it?? because with mine, i can't hear mine with just reving the engine without a load, i can only hear it when driving the car with a load and with a high rpm like 6k to 7k..., could it be the adjustment of the bov springs???thnx

Mate, mine's the same... the one bad thing about a HKS SSQV is that it requires a lot of boost in order for it to sound good... I would need to have over 5K RPM's to have a nice sound and yes - this is exactly how it should sound. Mine sounds the same too... not exactly the toughest sound, but a very nice stylish sound. You can't adjust the HKS BOV - that's just that... perhaps run higher boost through it and see...

and why other have a loud sound even just reving the engine? they could have a upgrade turbo???am i right? have you tried adjusting the bov springs??? or this could affect performance when the springs are adjusted to soft?

Edited by andy95'R33GTR

Mate, mine's the same... the one bad thing about a HKS SSQV is that it requires a lot of boost in order for it to sound good... I would need to have over 5K RPM's to have a nice sound and yes - this is exactly how it should sound. Mine sounds the same too... not exactly the toughest sound, but a very nice stylish sound. You can't adjust the HKS BOV - that's just that... perhaps run higher boost through it and see...

Thats utter BS...i have fitted used SSQVs on many cars over the years from WRXs to Silvias to Skylines...and you do not need to run high boost to get them to vent properly...its all about adjusting the bov correctly...unless you have the new ones which can't be adjusted...in which case too bad...adjusted loosely...you can get them to vent with very low positive boost pressure...and they can still sound good...on my silvia and on my 32...with different ssqvs...i could still get the bov to vent and have it sound good just by free revving the engine in neutral...but obviously under load you get higher boost and its louder...

Andy95'33GTR...i have some across some SSQVs in the past that became slightly sticky due to excessive oil and dirt inside which in turn prevented them from opening and venting smoothly at low boost...it could be the case with yours...perhaps take it apart and give it a good clean...

i use the twin setup also, and it sounds just like yours, but only louder and a tad sharper, cuz these are fed by a T04Z and 23psi boost. sounds like a gun going off.

on mine at say 1/2 throttle it will make a flutter sound similar to a rexi fluttering.

but when u get more boost through it and floor it its a clear crisp note.

mine never fluttered like that at idle man. sounds dodgy.

have u messed with the spring load. if so. put it back. leave it standard

on mine at say 1/2 throttle it will make a flutter sound similar to a rexi fluttering.

i tried removing it before, and tried to push the valve with my thumbs. and really the springs are hard man...i think the settings of the springs are designed for high boost...ill try turning the adjustments later...by the way, my bov is located near the right tire...twin ssq hks bov...

i tried removing it before, and tried to push the valve with my thumbs. and really the springs are hard man...i think the settings of the springs are designed for high boost...ill try turning the adjustments later...by the way, my bov is located near the right tire...twin ssq hks bov...

naaaah....i tried turning the adjustments of the bov, still thesame...., i check the small vaccum hose of the bov, and yes, i can feel the vaccum of the hose,i tried to push the valve, and little pressure comes out...what could be the cause???

Edited by andy95'R33GTR

Thats utter BS...i have fitted used SSQVs on many cars over the years from WRXs to Silvias to Skylines...and you do not need to run high boost to get them to vent properly...its all about adjusting the bov correctly...unless you have the new ones which can't be adjusted...in which case too bad...adjusted loosely...you can get them to vent with very low positive boost pressure...and they can still sound good...on my silvia and on my 32...with different ssqvs...i could still get the bov to vent and have it sound good just by free revving the engine in neutral...but obviously under load you get higher boost and its louder...

Andy95'33GTR...i have some across some SSQVs in the past that became slightly sticky due to excessive oil and dirt inside which in turn prevented them from opening and venting smoothly at low boost...it could be the case with yours...perhaps take it apart and give it a good clean...

Saying that I said was utterly bullshit obviously shows that you haven't taken a few things I had said into consideration... it depends on the amount of boost you're running - and yes, I'm referring to the latest non-adjustible HKS BOV.

He's talking about sound - you can't argue, the HKS BOVS aren't really made for sound and need more boost than 'other' bov's to get a nice fluttering sound - this is fact. :)

Saying that I said was utterly bullshit obviously shows that you haven't taken a few things I had said into consideration... it depends on the amount of boost you're running - and yes, I'm referring to the latest non-adjustible HKS BOV.

He's talking about sound - you can't argue, the HKS BOVS aren't really made for sound and need more boost than 'other' bov's to get a nice fluttering sound - this is fact. :D

HKS BOVs aren't really made for sound and need more boost to get a nice fluttering sound? that is a fact?

Have a look at that sentence and see if it makes sense...just goes to show how clueless you are on this matter...when you are not venting enough boost pressure...thats when you get that prolonged fluttering through the bov...when you are venting enough pressure the ssqv opens and gives a proper high pitched squeal...now....that is a fact...

But if you insist on this train of thought...then i shan't argue...its up to people to believe what they read...

Edited by limpus

mate u dont know wtf ur talking about, from the sounds of things ur BOV is just to tight, if u have to rev it out to 5k to get a sound u obviously have something wrong urself.

ur preetty much on the ball there buddy, hks bovs dont need high amounts of boost to give off the whistle. i ran one with standard boost with heaps of noise.

if its fluttering i to would put my money on the spring, its gotta be to tight, the reason why it flutters is because the bov is denying the air being vented, eventually when this builds up the bov is forced open.

was that youtube vid actually yours? i dont think its a very good idea running rubber turbing to a bov, basicly because under high boost it will shut close, which may explain the fluttering.

your bov should sound like this

the higher the boost the more high pitched, at low revs it even may give a woosh sound but thats about it. nothing like the above where its fluttering. if it flutters, its not adjusted right.

The fact is HKS BOV's are hot garbage and should be chucked in the trash asap. They are good for leaking and making pretty chirping noises, and that's about it.

the fact is u should stfu. expain why hks bovs are garbage? they are one of the few that hold high amounts of boost, ive heard of ppl running 30+pound and no leakage wat so ever. hks bovs are pull types so its pretty much physically impossible for it to leak under high boost or vacuum on idle.

HKS BOVs aren't really made for sound and need more boost to get a nice fluttering sound? that is a fact?

Have a look at that sentence and see if it makes sense...just goes to show how clueless you are on this matter...when you are not venting enough boost pressure...thats when you get that prolonged fluttering through the bov...when you are venting enough pressure the ssqv opens and gives a proper high pitched squeal...now....that is a fact...

your right as long as u keep in mind that the bov sping is tight. if its loose, it will still open on low pressure, it should even vent on idle if u have it lose enough.

But if you insist on this train of thought...then i shan't argue...its up to people to believe what they read...

andy maybe u have a fualty bov? i would test the springs again. try tightening it as much as you can, and lose as u can.

basicly the tighter u have it, the more flutter you'll have. loose the more vent.

as what iv been observing when the engine rev and i tried to push the valve of the bov, i have only a little pressure from the pipes...maybe theres a leaking around thats why my bov is not sounding right, the video is not mine...i just wonder why in that video the blow off sound so loud...and with mine i can't hear it when just reving in neutral, i can only hearing it when in high rpm and loading in the gears.....

hi mate, i have twin blitz blow off,s when i bought them secondhand and checked them they were seized. because of there location they suffer from water damage. take them of free them up and lightly oil them with wd40 or similar.also on top there is an adjustment screw. this is so you can adjust them to the boost your car runs, as every car runs different boost they have to be made to be adjustable. really need to be on boost when adjusting them like on the rollers etc.. bernie uk

Mine sounds exactly as the one in the first vid. Problem is when i undo the bolt for the spring it flutters more.

I would of thought this would loosen it hence making it vent easier instead of not letting it come out?

ps its just a copy ssqv but should work on same principle